* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Super Outbreak 2011 (April 25-28)  (Read 639269 times)

Offline Spankadelphia

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Super Outbreak 2011 (April 25-28)
« Reply #2745 on: April 09, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S_zyDoJb0o

Here's a brand new video of the Tuscaloosa tornado.  This one is really scary.
"Well, with volcanoes, keep a couple, fill the rest in.  Tidy it up a bit.  No, seriously, they're a deathtrap."

Offline Fair to partly cloudy

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2746 on: April 10, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S_zyDoJb0o

Here's a brand new video of the Tuscaloosa tornado.  This one is really scary.

THAT is the ultimate definition of multiple vortices!

• Sunny
  • Liked:
« Reply #2747 on: April 10, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
Also I've noticed that you can now go to Google maps and look at the tornado tracks from April 27th (except for Tuscaloosa). On some of the locations you have to zoom in a few notches and the picture will change from the old imagery to the new. A lot of those swaths are just heartbreaking.

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2278
« Reply #2748 on: April 10, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »
I know I have posted this before, but we have gained new members since then so I am posting these again.

These are pictures my youth minister took of Hackleburg, AL, a town completely destroyed by an EF-5 monster on April 27th.

Had the Wrangler Plant, which you do see in one of the pictures, not decided to rebuild in Hackleburg...the town would not be around today.

So to say the tornado wiped this town off the map was almost a reality...

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-bowling-green/hackleburg-tornado-damage-picture

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:51:47 PM by Charles L. »
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #2749 on: April 19, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »
Someone posted this link on their FB page...really good introspective from Spann concerning the 4/27 Super Outbreak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGT6Ll432Q&feature=youtu.be
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline mamMATTus

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #2750 on: April 20, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
Seeing storms in the forecast for Friday is a little unnerving just based on the date. Conjuring up the memories of calling up my father to warn him there was a tornado close by when that second wave came through in the afternoon...the phone went dead and the last thing I heard was a roar and "Get in the closet!!!"

Offline andyhb

• Supercell
  • Tornado/Severe Weather Connoisseur Since Age 3
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2751 on: April 23, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »
Someone posted this link on their FB page...really good introspective from Spann concerning the 4/27 Super Outbreak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGT6Ll432Q&feature=youtu.be

Gotta say that his thing about this having an extremely small chance of this ever happening again raised an eyebrow in me, he mentions it himself how people could become desensitized after a bit (Especially people like the ones filming the tornado from the University of AL campus in Tuscaloosa should nothing like 4/27 happen for awhile). The fact is, while exceedingly rare, a setup like this could easily occur again within 5 years...or next year for all we know...4/3/74 happened 9 years after 4/11/65, which was 13 years after 3/21/52, so its not like this only happens on a 35+ year basis. 2/5/08 was very similar to 3/21/52 in several ways, except the time of year.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:28:09 PM by andyhb »
Dynamic upper level troughs with adequate warm sector instability™

Offline toastido

• LIKE A BOSS
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • HAM Callsign: WX4JRR
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2752 on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
From BMX:

On Thursday, April 26, 2012, the National Weather Service in Birmingham will host a one hour webinar from 630 pm – 730 pm CDT, titled, “One year after April 27, 2011 – A Conversation with the National Weather Service Birmingham.” On this webinar, we will talk about the historic tornado outbreaks of April 2011, our personal experiences, and answer as many questions from the public as possible.

We are asking folks to do two things to join the conversation.

First, pre-register for the webinar here.

You will be able watch the webinar on your computer, using the computer’s speakers to listen to us talking.

Although pre-registration is not necessary, it will ensure your attendance, as webinar space is limited.

Second, by 8 am CDT Thursday April 26, 2012, send us any weather related questions you have about the tornado outbreak, severe weather, or weather safety at: SR-BMX.STORMREPORTS@NOAA.GOV

Our hope is to gather as many questions ahead of time and answer as many as possible on the limited one-hour webinar. If there is more time for questions on the actual webinar, folks will be given the opportunity to type them in via the webinar chat.

Jim Stefkovich
Meteorologist In Charge
Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation.
Kin Hubbard
(1868 - 1930)
Adam: Girls come and go. Weather is constant
Eric (Admin): there's no fornication in meteorology

Offline andyhb

• Supercell
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #2753 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »
Had the Wrangler Plant, which you do see in one of the pictures, not decided to rebuild in Hackleburg...the town would not be around today.

The damage to the Wrangler Plant was probably some of the most impressive I've ever seen from a tornado to a building of that size.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:01:35 PM by andyhb »

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2278
« Reply #2754 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:59 PM »
The damage to the Wrangler Plant was probably some of the more impressive I've ever seen from a tornado to a building of that size.

It was the worst damage I had ever seen. The completely debarked tree with that iron fencing around it was the second worse...
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline andyhb

• Supercell
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #2755 on: April 24, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
From a conservative guess, the winds there had to have been at least in the range of 200 mph, I think some of the NWS estimates of the wind speeds in this particular tornado were underestimates (You had numerous areas along the damage path with homes completely swept away/debris pulverized and other incredible phenomena), as with some of the other tornadoes from this outbreak, and these tornadoes were moving at very high rates of speed as well, unlike some other violent tornadoes that have had comparable damage. I would've liked to see some actual wind speed measurements from the DOW or whatnot, but the poor chaser terrain discouraged this.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:05:10 PM by andyhb »

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • US Navy meteorologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #2756 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »
From a conservative guess, the winds there had to have been at least in the range of 200 mph, I think some of the NWS estimates of the wind speeds in this particular tornado were underestimates (You had numerous areas along the damage path with homes completely swept away/debris pulverized and other incredible phenomena), as with some of the other tornadoes from this outbreak, and these tornadoes were moving at very high rates of speed as well, unlike some other violent tornadoes that have had comparable damage. I would've liked to see some actual wind speed measurements from the DOW or whatnot, but the poor chaser terrain discouraged this.
That's my thinking as well. Had these storms been moving at 35-45mph, there is a chance we'd have at least another EF-5 in Tuscaloosa and possibly from the Cullman-Arab tornado.

Some just don't realize had the storm moved 10 miles further south, we'd have a whole different ballgame in terms of damage and fatalities because it would've went directly through Decatur, possibly HSV, Madison, and much of Huntsville.

Offline andyhb

• Supercell
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #2757 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »
That's my thinking as well. Had these storms been moving at 35-45mph, there is a chance we'd have at least another EF-5 in Tuscaloosa and possibly from the Cullman-Arab tornado.

Some just don't realize had the storm moved 10 miles further south, we'd have a whole different ballgame in terms of damage and fatalities because it would've went directly through Decatur, possibly HSV, Madison, and much of Huntsville.

This, also there was a host of other slight misses that could have turned out even more disastrous, besides the one with the Huntsville/Decatur area and the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell/Tanner monster, the Tuscaloosa tornado taking the north turn right before plowing into Downtown Birmingham would have to be the other most obvious one.

As for the first point, I think Tuscaloosa/Birmingham is easily among the closest EF4/EF5 designations ever (Areas in the West Birmingham Suburbs also had extremely severe damage that rivals some of the more impressive I have seen). Cullman/Arab probably was an EF4, although others like Shoal Creek/Ohatchee and Ringgold/Apison are a bit of a different story.

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • US Navy meteorologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #2758 on: April 25, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
If I remember correctly, one or two members of the team finalizing Tuscaloosa/B'ham went with EF-5 while the others went with EF-4. This tornado likely achieved it's strongest point between Tuscaloosa and Holt, where the 240kts G2G was shown on radar, but of course it's almost nothing but pine and oak forest out there.

I keep forgetting about the Ringgold EF-4, that thing was very close but then again FFC is known for being conservative with their ratings.

• Sunny
  • Liked:
« Reply #2759 on: April 25, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »

No doubt the speed of the tornado has a direct effect on damage. A slow moving tornado can do more damage in a specific area with lesser wind speed than a stronger tornado moving at 60 mph.

* Recent Posts

December 2020
by Michael
[Today at 03:22:21 PM]
November 2020
by Thundersnow
[December 02, 2020, 08:40:35 AM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by Curt
[December 01, 2020, 08:28:08 PM]

Advertisement