* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: CATASTROPHIC FLOODING 4/30-5/2  (Read 165444 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 549
Re: CATASTROPHIC FLOODING 4/30-5/2
« Reply #1200 on: May 09, 2010, 06:21:53 AM »
Well, I have a skeleton of a house now, and FEMA came out yesterday.  The interior of the house consists of studs, joists, and crawlspace.

Once it's dried out enough, I'll start the rebuilding process.

Here are pics of the house and car from earlier:  http://picasaweb.google.com/DCRPics/Flood.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:25:17 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #1201 on: May 09, 2010, 08:12:34 AM »
Well, I have a skeleton of a house now, and FEMA came out yesterday.  The interior of the house consists of studs, joists, and crawlspace.

Here are pics of the house and car from earlier:  http://picasaweb.google.com/DCRPics/Flood.

Wow....I'm sure those pics only tell a portion of the story.  Not to make light of a bad situation, but I have to admit I laughed a little bit at the chair in the light fixture.  Sorry.....  ;)
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #1202 on: May 09, 2010, 08:29:27 AM »
Yeah... we laughed about that as well.  That one was actually at my next door neighbor's.  We had made so much progress at my house that we started helping over there as well.

Tornadoes can do some strange things.  Floods can as well.  I got my shed back from the adjacent property on Friday.  It had been washed about 50 yards away.  Surprisingly, it fared pretty well.  And, a wrecker was able to pull it out and tow it back to my place.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #1203 on: May 09, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
Yeah... we laughed about that as well.  That one was actually at my next door neighbor's.  We had made so much progress at my house that we started helping over there as well.

Tornadoes can do some strange things.  Floods can as well.  I got my shed back from the adjacent property on Friday.  It had been washed about 50 yards away.  Surprisingly, it fared pretty well.  And, a wrecker was able to pull it out and tow it back to my place.

Always a silver lining in EVERY situation..... ;D
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline Nashville_Wx

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #1204 on: May 09, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
 Well I am finally getting to check in here. I am sorry I did not let everyone know sooner that I am alive and well. I have been helping my family all week as well as many others. Thunder, I would like to extend my hand if you need anything as I am local and right now the street. If I would have known sooner I would have been there to help. To all the others that have been affects please do not be shy to PM me for anything. This has and will change my outlook on how I personally handle weather in the future.

Memphis Weather

« Reply #1205 on: May 09, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »

Wow...that's just devastating to see...but its also good to see how well things are moving and that so many are coming out to help each other.

Certainly one of the toughest weeks in recent memory for so many here in this state...best of luck to all those who are having to repair and rebuild.

Offline CT_Yankee

• Derecho
    • My Current Conditions
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #1206 on: May 10, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »
....Geez.    This will be the last time I start a severe weather thread.    ::lookaround::
Aaron
@MarshSevereWx (#tspotter for Marshall Co)

Offline Adam

« Reply #1207 on: May 10, 2010, 07:14:48 PM »
....Geez.    This will be the last time I start a severe weather thread.    ::lookaround::
Little did you know that this was going to start into a really big event, but i could of happend to anyone.
AND A LOT CAN CHANGE BETWEEN NOW AND THEN.

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #1208 on: May 10, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »
I know how you feel. I started the one that lead to the flooding here and in Atlanta in September. Nobody knew how bad this would get when the thread was started though.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015: 10.25 in.
Winters 2015-2019: basically nothing
Winter 2019-2020:
2/8/20: 4.25

Offline toastido

• LIKE A BOSS
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • HAM Callsign: WX4JRR
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1209 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:33 AM »
Saw this over at TW and felt it only prudent to crosspost it:

Grrr...
Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation.
Kin Hubbard
(1868 - 1930)
Adam: Girls come and go. Weather is constant
Eric (Admin): there's no fornication in meteorology

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #1210 on: May 12, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »
Ugh.

Offline Sbeagles

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #1211 on: May 12, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
Thats the last thing anyone around here wants to see. It wasn't to long ago that when I saw something about heavy rain and potential flooding that I just shrugged it off and went on without a thought but after seeing first hand what a real flood is, I will do that no more.

Offline CT_Yankee

• Derecho
    • My Current Conditions
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #1212 on: May 12, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
Obviously, nobody wants to think about more rain, especially a potential heavy rain event.  

What I am wondering, though, is what would it take to actually cause the rivers to overflow their banks again and cause additional flooding?  I understand that any rain will aggravate the situation and hamper the cleanup efforts,  but from a hydrological standpoint, how much can we take before it becomes another big problem? 
Aaron

Offline toastido

• LIKE A BOSS
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • HAM Callsign: WX4JRR
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #1213 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »
Obviously, nobody wants to think about more rain, especially a potential heavy rain event.  

What I am wondering, though, is what would it take to actually cause the rivers to overflow their banks again and cause additional flooding?  I understand that any rain will aggravate the situation and hamper the cleanup efforts,  but from a hydrological standpoint, how much can we take before it becomes another big problem? 

That's all going to depend on current river/lake/stream levels currently.  Check out their current stages and depth...   Take the depth, compare it to what depth it has to be at to begin flooding, and that's how much rain it would take.
Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation.
Kin Hubbard
(1868 - 1930)
Adam: Girls come and go. Weather is constant
Eric (Admin): there's no fornication in meteorology

Offline CT_Yankee

• Derecho
    • My Current Conditions
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #1214 on: May 12, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
That's all going to depend on current river/lake/stream levels currently.  Check out their current stages and depth...   Take the depth, compare it to what depth it has to be at to begin flooding, and that's how much rain it would take.

Makes sense, but, correct me if I'm wrong, 1 inch of rain will raise the depth of a river more than an inch, and another parameter would be the time frame the inch of rain fell, right?  An inch over the course of 2 days would be less threatening than if it fell in 3 hours.  Just wondering if there's a formula to figure this stuff out, but I guess I'd have to be a hydrologist...
Aaron

* Recent Posts

December 2020
by StormNine
[Yesterday at 08:11:02 PM]
November 2020
by dwagner88
[Yesterday at 01:27:05 PM]
Long Range Discussion: Winter 2020-2021
by JayCee
[November 23, 2020, 04:21:47 PM]
2020 Tropical Season Outlook
by JayCee