* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wintry Weather, Feb 2-3  (Read 202788 times)

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Derecho
  • Don't believe everything you read on the internet
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Potential Winter Storm, Feb 3-4
« Reply #750 on: January 30, 2009, 06:00:25 PM »
I have been looking on here for a few months now and to be honest have learned a few things…like all of you I like weather and I think it’s because it’s something that we can’t control. Having said that let me give you some history about myself…I’m an engineer and work in the industrial side of it. I have been doing that for some 30 years now and have been all over the world doing it….it’s been a lot of fun. But weather ALWAYS draws my attention because, like I said, we can’t control it. Well lets be honest…we can’t predict it either…at least with any honest long term (2 days?) statements. That’s OK…and I hope we never do get to that point. I’m sure if we do then we’ll try to control it as well (yes, we have tried but nothing doing…lol) . Anyway my point is I enjoy your conversations (I was young once myself …no school!) and I really have learned a thing or two but let me pass this on…models are just that…not the real thing. Our models (from what your saying to me) are based on what knowledge we have about the sciences and the history based on the past patterns. Well take this with a grain of salt but if no two snowflakes are the same then how does it warrant we can predict weather based on previous actions. No one can show me what the next snow flake will look like based on the previous ones. It’s fun to try but having said that I guess it’s good to know who really is in charge! 

Welcome to the forum Ed...EXCELLENT CONTRIBUTION!!!..

...and it is good to know who is in charge.
Davis Vantage Vue
Installed: 1/23/2010
Yes, Davis is the best!
-----
Running: WUHU216DAVISVP2
Virtual Weather Station
-----
Field Rep. for Congressman Black (TN-06)

Offline Yazoo63

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #751 on: January 30, 2009, 06:03:33 PM »
But, one thing I'm fairly confident on is that the maps for that period will look quite a bit different from what we're seeing right now.

For what it's worth, Henry Margusity over at Accuweather has stated that the current trend of the models is garbage (the low tracking due east and staying over the gulf). ::shaking_finger::

He's sticking to his idea that the track may go through Augusta, GA up through northern Virginia maybe.

I hope for his sake that he's right ... since he was wearing his "big daddy" ball cap yesterday and touting the "big daddy storm", even using the "b" word, and calling it the "little brother" of the '93 storm.

He stands to end up with some serious egg on his face (and lose some credibility) if the current model trends continue.

Offline dave

• TNWX Supporter
  • Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #752 on: January 30, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »
Everyone. Remain. Calm.  Ed echoes the point I made a couple of weeks ago - we can't control what the weather does, so don't stress out over it.  Find something wrong in the world that you have the power to right, and focus your mental energy on that instead.

Personally, I believe most folks east of Jackson (TN) get measurable snow out of this system.  Whether it's 1 inch or 4, if you like snow be thankful for what you get and don't fret over it.  If you don't like snow, it will melt within a couple of days.  Myself, I'm ready for spring. 

Model flip flop should settle down by this time tomorrow... and I'd bet the GFS moves back westward.
Life’s too short to stop and smell the roses.

Offline Cameron K.

• Derecho
  • Location: Franklin,TN / UAHuntsville. Senior ESS-Atmospheric Science major
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #753 on: January 30, 2009, 06:13:54 PM »
Exactly. I'll take just enough to coat the ground I can go sleding. But hopefully that won't happen and we stay dry and cold.  ::evillaugh:: ;) I did this during the March of 08 event and I think it worked.  ::whistling:: :D

Don't knock the weather, nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.
-  Kin Hubbard

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2472
« Reply #754 on: January 30, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »
i hope it does trend back to the west, i want more snow here in jackson.
Come on severe wx season...

Offline maryvillereb2003

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #755 on: January 30, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »
i hope it does trend back to the west, i want more snow here in jackson.
it will trend west and it will get stronger IMO
Located in the foothills of the smokies

Offline Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1890
« Reply #756 on: January 30, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
Exactly. I'll take just enough to coat the ground I can go sleding. But hopefully that won't happen and we stay dry and cold.  ::evillaugh:: ;) I did this during the March of 08 event and I think it worked.  ::whistling:: :D

It certainly did work. And I loved that snow!  :)

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #757 on: January 30, 2009, 06:23:02 PM »
i just got off work and seen the latest gfs, its most def. smoking some good sh-t. i think things go back for tonites run like yesterday or close to it. tomorrow even better. i still think we could even see two storms phase some were across the sout east.  

Offline Sbeagles

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #758 on: January 30, 2009, 06:29:36 PM »
IF things swing back our way, and we have this low travel across central Georgia and up the apps are we back into the conversation we was having yesterday with those unbelievable numbers or will it be scaled down somewhat??

Offline Brandon

• Site Founder
  • Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #759 on: January 30, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »
Should not be major high totals, but a good thump if models go back to what they originally were.

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #760 on: January 30, 2009, 06:35:54 PM »
i would be a much better track for most of tn if it weeent through central ga. and up the apps, especiall here in west tn. far as the big number on accumulation, depends if the low can bomb out pretty good while riding up the apps.

Offline The Poster Formerly Known as Kailynleto

• Supercell
  • Member of the Libertarian Party USA
    • My Homepage
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #761 on: January 30, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »
i just got off work and seen the latest gfs, its most def. smoking some good sh-t. i think things go back for tonites run like yesterday or close to it. tomorrow even better. i still think we could even see two storms phase some were across the sout east.  
Part of this is going right into my sig!

But I would wait until the 0z on Saturday night before I make any calls with this one.
UNIQUE SOUTHERN BONDING EXPERIENCE OF FIGHTING FOR THE LAST MILK AND BREAD ON THE SHELVES AS THE STORM APPROACHES.
i just got off work and seen the latest gfs, its most def. smoking some good sh-t.
snOMG.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 937
« Reply #762 on: January 30, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
So appropriate for the situation...  ::)

It'd been a whole lot funnier if it hadn't already been posted.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 937
« Reply #763 on: January 30, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
For what it's worth, Henry Margusity over at Accuweather has stated that the current trend of the models is garbage (the low tracking due east and staying over the gulf). ::shaking_finger::

He's sticking to his idea that the track may go through Augusta, GA up through northern Virginia maybe.

I hope for his sake that he's right ... since he was wearing his "big daddy" ball cap yesterday and touting the "big daddy storm", even using the "b" word, and calling it the "little brother" of the '93 storm.

He stands to end up with some serious egg on his face (and lose some credibility) if the current model trends continue.

I didn't know Margusity had any credibility TO lose...
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Warren Cos. (@WarrenSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #764 on: January 30, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »
personally i think the low still has a shot to take a track towards atlanta, or just east of it. any other gut feelings out there, i dont see it going due seast out to sea and stayinig along the gulf.

* Recent Posts

Spring 2021
by BRUCE
[Today at 10:56:29 AM]
January 2021
by schneitzeit
[Today at 10:24:48 AM]
20/21 Ski Season
by Nashville_Wx
[Yesterday at 01:34:29 PM]
Gnashing of Teeth (Winter 2020-21) thread