* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: March 21 st 22 nd 1968 : Bemis - Jackson, Tn`s - Record Largest Snowfall !  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Mr. William E. Brantley

• Derecho
  • I`m A Official N.W.S. Cooperative Observer !
    • Yesterdays Historical Climate Data
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
18.5 " { 19 " } of Snow ::snowman:: fell on both March 21 & 22 nd Back In 1968 !
Making this the { Largest Snow } ::snowman:: fall on Record for Bemis - Jackson, Tn.
Lo was 20    ::cold::
Hi was 33
     ::cold::      ::flag::

Offline Tom23

• Derecho
  • Snotorious B.I.G. is this Winter folks.....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Now thats incredible!! That much snow ANY time of the year down in Tennessee is just remarkable, let alone the time when the sun angle is a limiting factor and spring is right around the corner. Incredible!!

Kinda makes me wish for that next year....

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Now thats incredible!! That much snow ANY time of the year down in Tennessee is just remarkable, let alone the time when the sun angle is a limiting factor and spring is right around the corner. Incredible!!

The largest snowfall on record for both Nashville and Memphis occurred on March 17, 1892.

Including that one, 3 of the top 10 largest snowfalls in Nashville's history occurred in the second half of March.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
Those dates featured 17.3 inches of snow at Memphis Int'l, which is the second highest total for a snow event only to be surpassed by the March event of 1892. However, it looks like the most snow actually on the ground for this event was 12 inches, which means 5 inches melted during the storm itself. That winter featured several other smaller events which brought the winter total to about 2 feet overall in Memphis. Large March snows, albeit rare, are not coincidental in these parts. I have a feeling that if records were kept before the late 1800's, one might find more of the same.

Another interesting fact- Nashville received 8.2 inches from this event, but its total winter snowfall was a bout the same as Memphis despite. Little Rock received nothing from this event, and Knoxville only an inch,so it seems fairly localized in the Mid South.

Offline Mr. William E. Brantley

• Derecho
  • I`m A Official N.W.S. Cooperative Observer !
    • Yesterdays Historical Climate Data
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Total Snowfall ::snowman:: for the Winter of 1967/1968 here in Bemis - Jackson, Tn.
Was 26.3 " ::snowman::
Second Snowiest ::snowman:: Winter was 1984/1985 with 24.7 " ::snowman::
And I wish Records Were available back further than 1948 for Jackson, Tn.
Records started at Jackson`s McKellar Sipes Regional { Formally McKellar Field }
August 1, 1948.
My Personal Records date back to January 1, 1994.
I`m also courious what may have happened back before 1875 or even earlier.
I read somewhere recently that Memphis, Tn. has Precipitation Records back to 1870
then started keeping Temp. records in 1875.
But I do not think those Extra 5 years of Precip. Records affects the Snow Records
We will never know for sure since there are No records to prove it.    ::flag::
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:20:35 AM by Mr. William E. Brantley »

Offline dwagner88

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40

Check the records for your area tom, I would be willing to bet that the largest snowfall there also occurred in March. Chattanooga's largest was the superstorm of 1993, which dumped nearly two feet in 24 hours from March 12 to March 13. Knoxville got 17 inches from that one. I'm not really sure what Knoxville's record snowfall is. I'll have to look it up.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)

Offline dwagner88

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
I looked it up, and I was way wrong. Knoxville's record snow occured in November! On November 21-22, 1952 18.2 inches fell! This really surprises me. I honestly thought that you needed a large march cyclonic system to drop that much snow in TN. I wonder how much Chattanooga got from that storm. I was even more surprised by Knoxville's record snow for a season: 56.7 inches in 1959-1960. That is more than twice Chattanooga's record season of just 23.9 inches in 1894-1895. I can't believe that Knoxville saw that much snow in one season. I wish I had been there.

Also found some weird anomalies with the dates of the first and last freeze. Somehow, despite being farther south, Chattanooga has earlier average first freeze dates and later average last freeze dates than Knoxville. I wonder what causes that?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:29:44 AM by dwagner88 »
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I was even more surprised by Knoxville's record snow for a season: 56.7 inches in 1959-1960.

Wow, that's incredible!  ::wow::

1959-1960 was also Nashville's snowiest winter on record.  But, "only" 38.5 inches was recorded here.

That must have been an insane year.  I would like to know what the players were in the general synoptic weather pattern that year.

* Recent Posts

Summer Sweat(LOL) Thread: 2014
by Mr. Golf
[Today at 08:39:38 AM]
BEMIS, TN --Historical Weather Facts, Climate Data, and Rainfall
by Mr. William E. Brantley
[Today at 01:16:14 AM]
WxGeeks on TWC
by @NashSevereWx
[July 21, 2014, 12:34:51 PM]
The Climate Motherload
by Curt