* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: February 1994 Ice Storm Video  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked: 431
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
February 1994 Ice Storm Video
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:45:57 PM »
So after digging through my cousin's videos last weekend (that is where I get them from, he is a professional cameraman for local news), I found this gem of the Feb 94 Ice Storm. The music is a little dramatic, but the video is what counts. I forgot just how amazing this event was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qsYK3MQ8nQ

Offline ajatwister

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked: 9
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: February 1994 Ice Storm Video
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »
Thats a great video!!! I found a recording too in my basement of the icestorm in D.C. It was not as bad as that one in Memphis but it still did some damage. Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7RIrA59Zk
Born in D.C I survived 1993 and 1996 snowstorms, and have been fascinated ever since.

Snowfall:
2011-2012
Dusting...

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked: 272
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »
The music was a nice touch.

That sure does bring back memories.  Somewhere, I have home video of that storm here.  I need to see if I can find it and then upload it to YouTube.

Offline David

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Liked: 21
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 03:37:05 AM »
That was one of my first winterstorms ever. I just moved up here from New Oreleans, I remember thinking what the heck did we get ourselves into.

Offline Kevin

• Tornado
  • Liked: 1277
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:49:39 PM »
The video is incredible...thanks so much for sharing. I still have vivid memories of this day (relived last week of course) but...especially at my age at the time (just shy of 7!)...you really forget how bad it was. Makes last week a complete walk in the park

This event is one of the things I can most easily recall from my early childhood...along with the Germantown Tornado months later. Those events are what is responsible for me being here Today...posting on a weather forum and pursuing it as a career...amazing to think about.

Do you happen to have any other videos from that event? News coverage or anything of the like? Fascinating images...

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
The video is incredible...thanks so much for sharing. I still have vivid memories of this day (relived last week of course) but...especially at my age at the time (just shy of 7!)...you really forget how bad it was. Makes last week a complete walk in the park

This event is one of the things I can most easily recall from my early childhood...along with the Germantown Tornado months later. Those events are what is responsible for me being here Today...posting on a weather forum and pursuing it as a career...amazing to think about.

Do you happen to have any other videos from that event? News coverage or anything of the like? Fascinating images...

ahh...funny you should mention. I am working on that video for utube now. also have the December 2004 winter wx event. Yes I am a nerd.

Offline Kevin

• Tornado
  • Liked: 1277
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:06:55 PM »

ahh...funny you should mention. I am working on that video for utube now. also have the December 2004 winter wx event. Yes I am a nerd.

LOL! As we all are!

Can't wait to see the video...

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »

Yup i found some news coverage. I need to do some editing so will post soon this weekend if I get some time.

Offline WFayetteTN

• Supercell
  • Liked: 2
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »
Who's your cousin?
Quote from: Thundersnow
Bummer... I'll miss the familiar urgency of the all caps regardless of the real urgency.
A TRANQUIL WEATHER PATTERN BRINGING FAIR SKIES WILL DOMINATE THE REGION.

Offline WFayetteTN

• Supercell
  • Liked: 2
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
So after digging through my cousin's videos last weekend (that is where I get them from, he is a professional cameraman for local news), I found this gem of the Feb 94 Ice Storm. The music is a little dramatic, but the video is what counts. I forgot just how amazing this event was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qsYK3MQ8nQ

Curt, theres already a question waiting in the comments of your youtube video that you should address.

Was that North Parkway?  <-- not the question from youtube, This one is mine.

It was a great video but it had a hint of Blair Witch, and almost had me reaching for a swig from the Dramamine.  ::sick::

Quote from: Thundersnow
Bummer... I'll miss the familiar urgency of the all caps regardless of the real urgency.
A TRANQUIL WEATHER PATTERN BRINGING FAIR SKIES WILL DOMINATE THE REGION.

Offline bugalou

• Derecho
  • Liked: 165
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 09:24:10 PM »
Wow!  Great stuff!  I was in 6th grade at the time.  I was not so much into weather then which I hate until this day!  As damaging as it was, it was something epic! I would have loved to eat up all the model data and forecasts for it!  The most intense weather situation I have been in since then was the super Tuesday outbreak.  I hope I can see a winter weather event again this strong again in my life time!

Offline David

• Administrator
  • Derecho
  • Liked: 21
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 12:29:59 AM »
Test

Offline David

• Administrator
  • Derecho