* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: 25th Anniversary of the Ice Storm of 94  (Read 677 times)

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 212
Re: 25th Anniversary of the Ice Storm of 94
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 07:37:31 AM »
I was a freshman at Lipscomb then.

I was a sophomore at Lipscomb. Lived on the 8th floor of the High Rise dorm. Remember seeing transformers blow to the south out the window. Only time I remember cancelled classes while in college. Ended up spending some time at my grandparents in Shelbyville. They actually had power in town there. Got my clothes washed and fed well for a couple of days. :)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1397
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:38 AM »
It seems extreme weather happens in clusters.  We all know what else happened in '74.  In 93-94 several extreme weather events occurred.  Superstorm in '93, along with record Midwest flooding that summer (Great Flood of 1993), then in '94 more wild weather occurred in January (cold wave) and February (record ice event). 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Greyhound

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »
It seems extreme weather happens in clusters.  We all know what else happened in '74.  In 93-94 several extreme weather events occurred.  Superstorm in '93, along with record Midwest flooding that summer (Great Flood of 1993), then in '94 more wild weather occurred in January (cold wave) and February (record ice event).

Agree!!  In February 1993, I was attending TN Tech in Cookeville.  I also worked part time at Putnam Co EMS and we had a tornado come through on an unseasonably warm Sunday afternoon.  I remember I was napping, then the radio coming alive about funnel clouds, touchdowns, etc.  There were several people hurt in that storm, and the ambulance that I was working on that day transported several of those patients to the hospital.  The tornado was later rated an F3, with several structures sustaining severe damage.  Then about a month later, we had 18 inches of snow from the '93 Storm of the Century.  There was also an ice storm, I believe in 94.....but the events of that aren't as firmly etched in my memory like 1993 is.

Offline Jilly

• Thunderstorm
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »
Lived in "Bellevue" at the time (near Pegram). Husband was Chet Atkins' keyboard player so we packed up a tropical fish, 2 cats, and ourselves and moved into room in Chet's office (house on 17th Ave S in Music Row) and camped out for a week.
...that tropical fish lived 11 years LOL.
WA4CZD

* Recent Posts

Advertisement