* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Severe Wx Threat - Nov 5-6, 2018  (Read 8207 times)

Offline VandyMachine

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Severe Wx Threat - Nov 5-6, 2018
« Reply #195 on: November 06, 2018, 01:02:02 AM »
The last few radar loops looked really bad for Auburntown/ N Cannon and S Dekalb Counties.
Located up on the Highland Rim in the eastern part of Cannon County, where the weather is always more interesting!

Offline Jilly

• Thunderstorm
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #196 on: November 06, 2018, 01:03:38 AM »
am E of Smithville near Johnson's Chapel. Definitely keeping an eye....
WA4CZD

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #197 on: November 06, 2018, 04:31:17 AM »
We lost power in West Knoxville around 4:45 AM and it's still out now with rain continuing, although the wind seems to have moved east of us.  Between the storm and the time change it feels like time to be up and working, so I'm into my work day for as long as the laptop battery and hotspot hold up, or until we get power back on.  Looking over the posts from overnight I hope everybody is safe!

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2018, 05:08:50 AM »
Storms roared through here a little after 5 a.m. (which shows how fast they were moving). Power blinked, but remained on.  Heard several crashes in the woods nearby, but too dark to see what might have fallen.  Gusts near 50 mph were reported, but it sounds more like 100 mph when you're surrounded by trees.

Breezy conditions continue with some light rain falling. Hope everyone was safe and sustained no damage overnight. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:11:27 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2018, 06:32:53 AM »
Damage around here was odd.  I ventured out to find hot coffee for my wife and while our neighborhood is virtually untouched aside from lots of wet leaves covering everything, around the corner a big section of privacy fence was blown down and out into the road.  There was other damage in that immediate area with big signs torn down, but only one big limb in the roadway.  It looks like what you normally see with a micro-burst type of event because of the small footprint of damage.  Did we have that kind of behavior with this system?

Offline NismoWx

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2018, 06:43:50 AM »
I grew up in Christiana near Midland. Still trying to contact old neighbors. Our road was right under the circulation but it's unclear if it touched down on that road.

An interesting observation I made last night..

My girlfriend's iPhone sounded the TOR Warning when Rutherford County was issued. My S7 didn't sound until the polygon was redrawn to include my phone's precise location, which was 5ft away from her iPhone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
Aaaaand the power is back on!  This was about a 5 hour outage for us, longer than what we normally experience as a result of storms.  I hope everybody else is recovering and cleaning up well this morning.

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2018, 08:20:46 AM »
I also lost power for about an hour last night. I somehow managed to sleep through the whole thing. We got over an inch of rain in about 10 minutes. Honestly the flash flooding was worse than the wind here. I had higher winds with the warm front Sunday afternoon.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2018, 08:43:06 AM »
I assume surveys will determine where any tornado damage took place last night and any path(s).

I still take issue with the NWS stating in the warning text that a tornado was "confirmed" and then the wording clarifies that it was "confirmed by radar." Shortly after that, it was conjectured that the "debris signature" might have just been autumn leaves blowing around...

I did see maybe what they were seeing on the CC scan last night, but it didn't look like the tight TDS "dot" I've seen in the past. It seemed more diffused than that. So, probably, a lot of it was falling leaves pulled up into the circulation (there was certainly that)... though not necessarily a tornado making it to the ground, except for perhaps some brief touchdowns, which should still be assessed. Perhaps, it might yet be determined that a weak tornado did have a long track last night and the TDS was accurate all that time.

But, to me, "confirmed" is a strong word. That means you can say it's been... well... "confirmed." If it turns out that this was based on what turned out to be a debatable radar signature, then that weakens the force of that word.

When breaking news occurs, it's typically described initially as "unconfirmed reports." When an agency "confirms" it, that should give credibility that it really happened.

Ok- I'll get off my soap box. Hope for the best for anyone dealing with storm damage.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
Sad news to report... there was a fatality in Christiana last night. Apparent tornado that destroyed the house.

https://www.wkrn.com/weather/woman-killed-in-christiana-as-storms-roll-across-middle-tennessee/1575695745

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:19:48 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 505
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
I talked to my son last night who lives in Nashville just as the storms were about to move in. He said the NWS was concerned about areas north of 40. I told him they know what they are doing but I would watch the broken up cells forming to the SW and moving south of 40.

Offline EastTNWX

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2018, 11:04:55 AM »
Our power went out for a few minutes last night due to the winds.  No thunder or lightning to speak of.  Looks like 1 possible tornado in TN and 5 total.  Glad it ended up not being bad, wish I didn't stay up so late monitoring things though.

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 560
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »
Preliminary EF-2 rating assigned to Christiana Tornado.

NWS Nashville Twitter:
One of our survey teams is down in Christiana. Unfortunately there is one confirmed fatality. Preliminary EF-2 rating with 135 mph winds. There were injuries too, waiting on additional information.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
I believe the concept of airmass modification was proven yesterday.  It took a long time, but Mid TN jumped from a 52F dew point to mid 60s before the line of storms rolled through.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Box 100 Wx Lead Forecaster
Lavergne, TN

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 359
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
OHX needs to do something about the sirens. They are all linked and sound at the same time. We’re starting to tune them out and sleep through them since they don’t sound with any relevancy to our safety.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly – raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Advertisement