* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: California Fires  (Read 222 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 232
California Fires
« on: November 12, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
The air is visibly smokey at the 49'ers game- people in the stands wearing masks. I can't imagine it's healthy on the players.

Horrific situation there. Paradise, CA, is apparently gone.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:44:15 PM by Thundersnow »

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 525
Re: California Fires
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:50:47 PM »
I caved today and bought a mask to wear in San Francisco as we enter Day 6 of extremely poor air quality from wildfire smoke. The entire Bay Area smells like a camp fire, and despite days of nothing but sunshine, the sun hasn't been fully visible in days. In my house, we've kept all our window shut since waking up to a house full of the smell of smoke last Friday. I've always felt an urgency w/ regard to the effects of climate change, but it's even more heightened now.

SF today:

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 292
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:49:36 PM »
I caved today and bought a mask to wear in San Francisco as we enter Day 6 of extremely poor air quality from wildfire smoke. The entire Bay Area smells like a camp fire, and despite days of nothing but sunshine, the sun hasn't been fully visible in days. In my house, we've kept all our window shut since waking up to a house full of the smell of smoke last Friday. I've always felt an urgency w/ regard to the effects of climate change, but it's even more heightened now.

SF today:

I was there in mid August when the fires were further north. I know that campfire smell.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:43:33 PM »
I just learned yesterday that I have relatives who lost everything in Paradise, CA... one of my mom's cousins (who I don't know and not sure I've met). The family out there was afraid they had died escaping the fire, but they did make it to safety, with apparently only the contents of their car the only thing they have.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:50:13 PM »
I just learned yesterday that I have relatives who lost everything in Paradise, CA... one of my mom's cousins (who I don't know and not sure I've met). The family out there was afraid they had died escaping the fire, but they did make it to safety, with apparently only the contents of their car the only thing they have.

That's really rough, but glad they are alive and well.  It's nightmarish out there this fire season, as all the rain last winter only made things worse this year.  The increased undergrowth has become more fuel for the fires as it dried out during the summer months.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:32:28 PM »
California is expected to have above average precipitation in the 8-14 day outlook.  That will be much needed. 

Advertisement