* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Major October Hurricane Michael  (Read 5673 times)

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 543
Re: Major October Hurricane Michael
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2018, 07:10:22 PM »
The El Reno disaster permanently changed the course of storm chasing as a hobby. Unfortunately, the lesson learned from that event was that not even the most professional chasers are invincible.

Better safe than sorry

Offline wfrogge

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2018, 07:25:48 PM »
Way off topic but folks think they could take a hit from a tornado or hurricane and wonder why other chasers don't just drive right in. I have been in the aftermath of an EF4 and helped search a field for missing persons at night. The screams, the smell, and the horror as you walk up to a dead body clinging onto a mattress.....  This is not a game

Online Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1804
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »
Way off topic but folks think they could take a hit from a tornado or hurricane and wonder why other chasers don't just drive right in. I have been in the aftermath of an EF4 and helped search a field for missing persons at night. The screams, the smell, and the horror as you walk up to a dead body clinging onto a mattress.....  This is not a game

After seeing the Tupelo damage up close and personal in 2014 and having to play first responder is something I will never forget. Thankfully I didnít come across anyone dead, but there was someone injured...which was bad enough.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 895
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »
The screams, the smell, and the horror as you walk up to a dead body clinging onto a mattress.....  This is not a game

Perfect descriptive word for what it is like. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »
Nowadays there is a lot of competition between storm chasers from both other chasers and from Joe B. Public who wants to Facebook Live a Major Hurricane because he can and he wants to show his 300 Facebook Friends that he is a Mack Daddy Hurricane Warrior.  The result is that even people who know better are trying to get the most extreme coverage possible. Unfortunately, that leads to sometimes foolish decisions and will unfortunately eventually start leading to more people (public, chasers, and those who have to rescue them) being put in situations that are hazardous to their life. 

Online Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1804
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
Nowadays there is a lot of competition between storm chasers from both other chasers and from Joe B. Public who wants to Facebook Live a Major Hurricane because he can and he wants to show his 300 Facebook Friends that he is a Mack Daddy Hurricane Warrior.  The result is that even people who know better are trying to get the most extreme coverage possible. Unfortunately, that leads to sometimes foolish decisions and will unfortunately eventually start leading to more people (public, chasers, and those who have to rescue them) being put in situations that are hazardous to their life.

And, sadly, there is not a way to control this either.

Much like the chaser convergence we see every year in the Plains for the big High risk days...
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
A landfalling hurricane of this magnitude is bad no matter where it hits, but the U.S. is very fortunate that Michael struck a very rural coastline, instead of a major metropolitan area.  Furthermore, Michael didn't give us nearly as much time as Florence to prepare and evacuate--developing and moving in much faster.  If there's a silver lining to this, I guess that could be it.  It could've been even worse. 

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2018, 09:11:47 PM »
From inside the eye of Michael...

https://youtu.be/zhGA0p_H02A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »
God the storm thread on American is a dumpster fire. What happened to that place? Reminds me of the dark days of the accuweather forums.
The main moderator is apparently working long hours on political campaigns. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2018, 10:40:03 PM »
The flipside being that we get some fantastic footage.  This new reality hit home when I saw that guy in the mall parking lot during the Tuscaloosa tornado.

For the record, I don't mind if people do it.  It's a stupid way to die but we also used to stand up in straight lines and walk towards each other while shooting (and I still can't figure out how people were that stupid).

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:42:35 PM by mempho »

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2018, 04:36:18 AM »
Heavy rain falling this morning, as the outer northwest edge of Michael did manage to make it over the mountains into far eastern TN, and the front squeezes in from the west.  Interesting radar this morning with returns moving from west to east over the Plateau, and from southeast to northwest over the foothills.

As of 7 a.m. recorded .93" of rain, and it's still coming down at a good rate.  Nice soaking before fall arrives. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:04:47 AM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2018, 06:55:08 AM »
The cutoff for precip was between my house and work. Iíve got 2.50Ē in my gauge in Polk county and less than 0.30Ē IMBY. No sign of the cold front yet. Hopefully this is the last morning of the year where I had to run at temps over 70 at 5 AM.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Major October Hurricane Michael
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2018, 06:56:30 AM »
For the record, I don't mind if people do it.  It's a stupid way to die but we also used to stand up in straight lines and walk towards each other while shooting (and I still can't figure out how people were that stupid).

Napoleonic tactics. (off topic, but since you brought it up). Close range engagement on the battlefield was a holdover from the days of hand to hand combat with swords and bayonets. Introduce firearms into the conflict, and it becomes a much bloodier affair. That was one of the reasons why the Civil War was as bad as it was. Battlefield tactic had to change with technology, but it took a while.

At any rate, your point is taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:58:16 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2018, 07:13:39 AM »
The images coming from Mexico Beach and surrounding areas are heartbreaking.  Whole neighborhoods are just wiped out.  Massive tracks of pine forests are laid flat.  For those who live there, this has to be devastating.  Such beautiful and undeveloped coastal areas completely destroyed.   
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 290
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2018, 07:23:16 AM »
I caught some of TWC's coverage early this morning and like JayCee said, things are just completely devastated.  The reporters were making the point that the destruction they had on camera was not from surge, but from wind.  The eye wall at landfall was basically a giant EF3 tornado and everything it crossed got destroyed.  That was on the coast of Florida, and friends in Virginia have been posting updates of flooded roads and power outages for the last 24 hours, not to mention the flooding and other problems through the Carolinas, especially western NC from what I've read today.  I don't think anybody could have expected such a massive impact over such a big area, especially in October.

* Recent Posts

Nov 14. 15 snow threat
by Michael
[Today at 10:04:55 PM]
Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
by JayCee
[Today at 08:26:22 PM]
Winter 2018-19
by JayCee
[Today at 05:36:56 PM]

Advertisement