* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Major Hurricane Florence  (Read 10075 times)

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1779
Re: Major Hurricane Florence
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »
Went from cloudless blue sky to cloudy in a hour's time, and a decent 10-15 mph breeze from the northeast is making it feel cooler than yesterday.

Could you stand up?
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2018, 05:47:44 PM »
The breeze was wonderful for doing my yardwork earlier today, and shortly after I finished the first visible bands from Florence started coming in from the east.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 863
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2018, 07:31:33 AM »
Could you stand up?

I should've done a youtube hurricane report in front of my barrel fan.   ::twister::

We'll probably see "copycat" reports all over social media before long.  Mock reporters standing in a light breeze leaning into the wind for dear life, while people in the background walk casually by.

Post Merge: September 16, 2018, 08:38:14 AM
Rain finally increasing this morning--coming in from due east.  Moderate rain coming down now, but winds are erratic.  Mostly calm, but an occasional gust to near 20mph will occur before going to complete calm again.  Right now, there's no hint of a breeze.

Post Merge: September 16, 2018, 11:32:39 AM
Yeah, I was right.  Lots of crazy vids hitting social media.  Mike Seidel's twitter account is being slammed hard. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1041126481315938304  (Couldn't help but chuckle). 

I feel for the guy.  I can't agree with what he did, but as harsh and unforgiving people can be behind the safety of a keyboard, I wonder if he'll endure the onslaught.  He may decide to go to a quiet, obscure local channel somewhere in Montana.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:43:42 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2018, 03:33:55 PM »
Rain totals from Florence.

I was right at .70".

Post Merge: September 17, 2018, 05:17:51 PM
Guess Florence isn't done quite yet.  Tropical downpours are dropping the heaviest rain during the whole event.

Post Merge: September 18, 2018, 06:10:53 AM
Had another half inch of rain in yesterday's downpour and light drizzle overnight. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:10:53 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2018, 06:20:47 AM »
I found this image on twitter.  Like many, I sometimes give global weather models a hard time (mainly in winter, and mainly because I didn't get the snow I wanted  ;D ), but in their defense, they did a bang-up job with Florence's rainfall forecast. 

Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
News out of NC is that the Cape Fear river still hasn't crested; they're predicting 62 feet, 4 feet higher than the previous record following Matthew.

Post Merge: September 21, 2018, 06:07:26 AM
The remnants of Florence are now Invest 98L with a 20% chance of development over the next 5 days.  Odds are literally against anything happening with it, but it is a bit crazy to see a former Cat 4 hurricane back over open water as a newly named invest.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:53:38 AM by cgauxknox »

Advertisement