* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Major Hurricane Florence  (Read 11856 times)

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 324
Re: Major Hurricane Florence
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »
While it may have made a bigger bang in the media for Florence to land as a Cat 4 it's really amazing that it is still holding as a Cat 1 this many hours after contact with land and that the forecast has it maintaining Hurricane status until sometime in the early hours of Saturday morning, after which the track says it still has TS status when it gets to Columbia.  As has been discussed for the past couple of days it's one thing to take a big hit and then start recovery 12 hours later, it's another to get ground down over 24, 48, or 72 hours like they're experiencing in the Carolinas right now.

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 762
« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »
While it may have made a bigger bang in the media for Florence to land as a Cat 4 it's really amazing that it is still holding as a Cat 1 this many hours after contact with land and that the forecast has it maintaining Hurricane status until sometime in the early hours of Saturday morning, after which the track says it still has TS status when it gets to Columbia.  As has been discussed for the past couple of days it's one thing to take a big hit and then start recovery 12 hours later, it's another to get ground down over 24, 48, or 72 hours like they're experiencing in the Carolinas right now.

Kind of similar to Harvey, which stalled as a Cat 1 for days right over Houston.

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »
The area around Morehead City to New Bern is getting Harveyíed right now. Absolutely pummeled with feeder bands. Seeing radar indicated amounts over 15Ē now both there and just SW of Wilmington. New Bern got the worst of the surge as well. Bad situation there for the next 12-24 hours at least.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1133
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2018, 05:46:07 PM »
The flow around Flo' is already affecting us here in TN.  Storms are moving completely backwards from normal.

Post Merge: September 14, 2018, 06:20:04 PM
Beyond the human suffering, which is tragic enough, its being reported that much of Wilmington will never look the same after Florence.  She's taking a toll on most of the old, large trees that have graced the city for 60-80 yrs.  Not even a mighty oak can withstand 90mph winds when the ground is saturated with feet of rain.  There's nothing for the roots to hold on to.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:20:04 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2018, 11:02:57 PM »
Sooooo back to Snowdog's statement about the media over-hyping Flo. I assume everyone has seen the video of The Weather Channel reporter by now? How would you like to be that guy? He'll never live that down.  ::rofl::

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2018, 12:23:23 AM »
Oh wow- thatís gold.

https://youtu.be/fC9Cb0-X-l0

The reporter standing in the storm has become a bit cliche and over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 311
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2018, 12:36:35 AM »
Oh wow- thatís gold.

And I believe thatís Mike Seidel- a vet who knows better. Ratings anyone? ...oh actually anyone watches TWC anymore?

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2018, 06:09:46 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Oh wow- thatís gold.

(Attachment Link)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2018, 06:22:33 AM »
And I believe thatís Mike Seidel- a vet who knows better. Ratings anyone? ...oh actually anyone watches TWC anymore?

Yes that's him.  Wow, that's really bad. 

Honestly, I think I would've pulled the plug on him and claimed a power outage.  Embarrassing.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Online Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1948
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2018, 06:36:27 AM »
Yeah, that is very bad. No need for it too cause Florence has been plenty bad, and deadly, enough with the flooding and storm surge.

Ruins their credibility.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »
Bringing this back to a local discussion a Wind Advisory has been issued for the higher elevations of East TN running from 4PM today to 4PM tomorrow.  It looks like what impact we see will be tomorrow and Monday.  While it doesn't look too bad I won't be surprised if what rain and wind we see may drop some limbs and cause some scattered power outages.  Of course, with this history of this storm acting really weird, who knows what it will actually do in the next 48 hours.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
Bringing this back to a local discussion a Wind Advisory has been issued for the higher elevations of East TN running from 4PM today to 4PM tomorrow.  It looks like what impact we see will be tomorrow and Monday.  While it doesn't look too bad I won't be surprised if what rain and wind we see may drop some limbs and cause some scattered power outages.  Of course, with this history of this storm acting really weird, who knows what it will actually do in the next 48 hours.

Glad it's moving through our area on a weekend.  It will make for interesting weather watching.  Downsloping will play a part in keeping rain amounts in check, but still a good inch or so of rain likely from Knoxville east.

Also, the NAM shows nearly 40 mph wind gusts in the area on Sunday, even in the lower elevations. The wind advisory could be expanded to include parts of the valley.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:06:46 AM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Susan

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 631
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »
From an AP article
Meteorologist Ryan Maue of weathermodels.com said Florence could dump a staggering 18 trillion gallons (68 trillion liters) of rain over a week on North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Maryland. Thatís enough to fill the Chesapeake Bay or cover the entire state of Texas with nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters) of water, he calculated.

North Carolina alone is forecast to get 9.6 trillion gallons (36 trillion liters), enough to cover the Tar Heel state to a depth of about 10 inches (25 centimeters).
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 762
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2018, 08:35:47 AM »

What a goofball. I'll beat the dead horse again. Fake News! A 4 year old child could stand straight in 25 mph wind without doing any of that. It's that windy in central Texas every day.

The last time TWC was good was the mid-2000s. It morphed into high-resolution spam after that.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2018, 09:07:35 AM »
What a goofball. I'll beat the dead horse again. Fake News! A 4 year old child could stand straight in 25 mph wind without doing any of that. It's that windy in central Texas every day.

The last time TWC was good was the mid-2000s. It morphed into high-resolution spam after that.

It's all over social media now--and viral at that.  TWC states he was tired and standing on wet grass verses concrete (which the people walking by casually were standing on).  Really?

I feel a bit sympathetic toward ole Mike--this was a major error in judgment.  He's definitely hurt his career as a serious meteorologist, and thanks to social media, it won't go away soon.   I wonder if he was directed to do this for ratings sake.  If so, he's probably wishing right now he had said a big fat "NO!"

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:13:35 AM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

Winter 2018-19
by JayCee
[Today at 08:07:18 PM]
GOAT Snowstorm
by JayCee
[Today at 01:24:04 PM]
The official "no snow" rant thread
by Coach B
[Today at 11:12:37 AM]

Advertisement