* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)  (Read 33669 times)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 895
Re: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
« Reply #375 on: October 18, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
Let the model watching commence!  ::coffee::

:D  I think after the previous two lackluster winters, most here are pumped for some winter mischief.   >:D
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 543
« Reply #376 on: October 18, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
2017-18 was a pretty good winter for West Tennessee, but lackluster for everybody else. Middle and East TN are overdue.

Online NashRugger

• Derecho
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #377 on: October 18, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »
Yeah, as of now, all the models that are public, and some private ones I use for the Navy, are showing a big system, but trouble with timing anywhere from on the eastern seaboard on the 1st to the Plains on the 3rd of November.

Online Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1287
« Reply #378 on: October 18, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »
2017-18 was a pretty good winter for West Tennessee, but lackluster for everybody else. Middle and East TN are overdue.
Actually northwest middle cashed in good with 1 blockbuster week. Here in Montgomery County we got 2 snowfalls in that week that left about 11 inches. Our first snowfall did melt slightly before the 2nd snowfall hit but we had solid snowpack all week which reminded me of winter days gone by. First snowfall we got around 4.5 and the second we got about 6.5. The only problem is that was our only week of winter. But I will take 2 good to very good snows in a week over 3 or 4 smaller snows spread out that would have reached the same amount. Heres hoping the rest of middle and east tn fare better this year along with the rest of the state. Sure has been along time since we have had a good old fashioned southern slider. The one in 85 laid down a lot of snow for the entire state, we got 8 from that one here.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:59:18 PM by Clarksville Snowman »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »
New weather catch phrase being thrown around by the media these days.  Remember polar vortex?  Then it was "bomb cyclone."  Now it's "the blob."  ::rofl::

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/persistent-alaska-warmth-this-fall-has-brought-back-‘the-blob’-if-it-lasts-it-could-mean-a-wild-winter-in-the-lower-48/ar-BBOzm4C?ocid=spartanntp

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: October 18, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »
It's less provocative, so that's an improvement.

"Blob" is much less intimidating than "bomb cyclone" or "polar vortex."

Offline Drifter49

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #381 on: October 18, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »
I’m ready for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To enjoy things in life that are good, you first must endure things that suck!
Bring on the snow baby!!!

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2018, 02:34:09 AM »
Models are converging upon accumulating snowfall in the higher elevations of West Virginia this weekend. Temperatures will be +/- 2 degrees Fahrenheit around freezing, so I would guess a 7:1 ratio of snow depth to rainfall is reasonable.

I think this is on schedule for the first West Virginia snowfall; it may be a little early. Snowshoe Mtn. recorded its first snowfall of the season last Saturday.

Also, you can see a bubble of below freezing temperatures in the 12km resolution NAM run for Knox County. I don't think we'll reach freezing this weekend, but we may get very close.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2018, 07:18:09 AM »
Models are converging upon accumulating snowfall in the higher elevations of West Virginia this weekend. Temperatures will be +/- 2 degrees Fahrenheit around freezing, so I would guess a 7:1 ratio of snow depth to rainfall is reasonable.

I think this is on schedule for the first West Virginia snowfall; it may be a little early. Snowshoe Mtn. recorded its first snowfall of the season last Saturday.

West Virginia--almost heaven. . .

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong. . .

Hope to live in a place that sees that much snow someday, but yet not in the frozen north. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:13:55 AM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline joemomma

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
Hoping for a good winter, this will be my first in a 4x4.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2018, 06:22:49 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe%2C_West_Virginia

Snowshoe is probably one of the most interesting climates in the Upland South region.  Its topography and how it maximizes lift makes it the snowiest place in the Upland South and more snowier than a vast majority of the Eastern USA.

With the El-Nino this year I wouldn't be surprised to see Snowshoe beat out many of the Western USA ski resorts this winter. 

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: October 20, 2018, 06:14:13 AM »
Growing season coming to an end this weekend for the Smoky Mts and all of western NC. Freeze warnings in place.  A good frost likely even in valley areas with lows barely above freezing.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #387 on: October 20, 2018, 06:58:54 AM »
Growing season coming to an end this weekend for the Smoky Mts and all of western NC. Freeze warnings in place.  A good frost likely even in valley areas with lows barely above freezing.
yeah, guess i better bring my special plant inside this weekend... o well, bout time for harvest anyways... ;)
Come on severe wx season...

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 359
« Reply #388 on: October 20, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
yeah, guess i better bring my special plant inside this weekend... o well, bout time for harvest anyways... ;)

Need help!? 
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly – raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: October 20, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe%2C_West_Virginia

Snowshoe is probably one of the most interesting climates in the Upland South region.  Its topography and how it maximizes lift makes it the snowiest place in the Upland South and more snowier than a vast majority of the Eastern USA.

With the El-Nino this year I wouldn't be surprised to see Snowshoe beat out many of the Western USA ski resorts this winter.

It's a good place for snow lovers who don't necessarily enjoy bitter cold for long periods like the Great Lakes, New England or upper mid-west experience. 
Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

Nov 14. 15 snow threat
by Michael
[Today at 10:04:55 PM]
Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
by JayCee
[Today at 08:26:22 PM]
Winter 2018-19
by JayCee
[Today at 05:36:56 PM]

Advertisement