* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)  (Read 20184 times)

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 501
Re: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
« Reply #360 on: October 13, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I got a picture of it

Post Merge: October 13, 2018, 10:22:48 AM
Similarly so, I've always felt the same about Denver. 80F one day, snow the next. 3000+ mean sunshine hours per month, 50" of annual snowfall. Some severe wx, but no humidity. Must be nice not being down wind from a massive tub of bath water.

Denver is a microcosm of the sheer power of American weather. If the Plains' unpredictable weather astonishes Tennesseans, I'll leave it to you to fathom how Germans perceive it. Typically, the climate on the Northern European Plain embodies a steady slope of temperatures; cool rains in the winter, with maybe some snow, which transcends into mild, overcast spring weather, and finally to a generally warm yet cloudy summer. Severe weather in the wintertime is almost impossible in Germany, but it's a realistic threat in Tennessee.

Northern Europe is subject to one, maybe two powerful Arctic blasts per winter from Eastern Europe, which is controlled by snowpack in Russia and the Slavic countries. Despite its position 15 degrees latitude north of Nashville, Hamburg's minimum annual temperature is normally not as cold as Nashville's minimum. Climate instability is a function of continentality. North America is a powder keg for crazy weather. In Europe, this is not the case anywhere. Certain regions are known for hosting a higher concentration of a specific type of severe event (e.g. drought in Italy, extreme heat in Southern France, flooding in the Rhine, tornadoes in Germany and Poland, blizzards in Russia). Nowhere in Europe will you find an equivalent to Oklahoma or Kansas. Again- continentality and latitude. You have no better place to witness every type of severe weather than the American Plains.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:22:48 AM by schneitzeit, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 860
« Reply #361 on: October 13, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »
It's a strange scene in Knoxville this morning.  Beautiful cool temperatures, nice chilly breeze, some bright blue sky, but also some low, very dark clouds that just seem out of place.  Later in the year it would look like snow.

Forecast for today is mostly sunny.  I saw a little sun this morning, but it has been a dark, cloudy day otherwise.  Don't mind it, though.  Good weather for building a fire in the firepit. 

Post Merge: October 13, 2018, 12:41:45 PM
I dunno. My maples have lost approximately 30%-50% of their leaves already...way ahead of schedule. No color; they just turned brown and dropped. I've already had to mulch leaves...something I have NEVER done this early. I've seen several huge, mature white oaks that are almost devoid of leaves entirely. Same thing; they just turned brown and dropped. I'm not sure if it's the heat or what that did it, but it'll be interesting to see how this transitions into the colors (or lack thereof) in the next couple 1-2 weeks.

Wow, that is strange.  My hickory trees are nearly leafless, but that's not abnormal for that species.  They leaf out very early, and are first to lose their leaves in fall.  But the white oaks here are still green, along with the sugar maples for the most part.  Red oaks are mostly green, too, with some brown patches appearing.  There are some sugar maples with numerous leaf spots--usually caused by fungal problems in wet summers. 

You've probably had a lot more rain than my area this summer, which is usually the case.  I wonder if you've just had too much, causing problems with fungal diseases? 

Leaf Spots
Leaf spots are the most common disease on tree foliage. Fungi or bacteria that cause leaf spots are spread by air or water and need moisture to grow. Leaf spots normally occur in late summer to early fall and do not cause much damage. Leaf spots that begin in early spring may cause premature dropping of foliage. Severely infected leaves may turn entirely yellow or brown and drop off prematurely.

Post Merge: October 13, 2018, 12:46:16 PM
Looks like clouds are clearing out from a strange direction...from east to west.  And almost like magic, I've gone from dark, cloudy weather to lots of blue sky showing. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:47:23 PM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Online Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #362 on: October 13, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
Been in Maine for a week hiking Acadia. You want fall color? Been accustomed to it now

Offline Drifter49

• Derecho
  • Liked:
Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
« Reply #363 on: October 13, 2018, 10:43:06 PM »
Meanwhile in Wyoming tonight, I80 is closed between Cheyenne and Rawlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To enjoy things in life that are good, you first must endure things that suck!
Bring on the snow baby!!!

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: October 14, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »
Meanwhile in Wyoming tonight, I80 is closed between Cheyenne and Rawlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully, that will be Tennessee come January when we have our epic snowstorm to end all snowstorms that closes I-40 from Memphis to Harford.   ;D

I'll have propane heat by then, so bring it!
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #365 on: October 14, 2018, 10:55:42 AM »
Definitely had to do a double-take just now...

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: October 14, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »
Current pattern flip to cooler certainly has legs.  6-10 & 8-14 day outlooks are below normal for our area.   Monday looks to be the warmest of the next 7 days.  Much of the Ohio and Tennessee Valley could experience their first frost Wednesday night, and a freeze looks very possible early next week. If it occurs, that would actually be early for our area, and within just 2 weeks of record heat earlier this month. 

Post Merge: October 14, 2018, 05:08:18 PM
Fall's golden colors appearing up north in Michigan.

http://www.snowmancam.com/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:08:18 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 497
« Reply #367 on: October 15, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »
This is one of those if it was only January deals today. Has been pouring rain and temps falling quick.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1146
« Reply #368 on: October 15, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
This is one of those if it was only January deals today. Has been pouring rain and temps falling quick.
yeah. Al we need now is a nice trowel tonset up just west of the ms river... lol
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
« Reply #369 on: October 15, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: October 15, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »
MRX AFD:

Friday a surface low deepens
over Quebec with increasing moisture. Rain chances will gradually
increase during the day. Cold front moves into the Ohio and
Tennessee Valleys. The rain will taper off during the afternoon
with colder air moving in overnight. Temperatures dont look to be
cold enough for snow in the higher elevations until after moisture
moves out. Early Monday widespread frost looks likely across
higher elevations and northeast lower elevations. Sunday and
Monday behind cold front highs only in the 50s to near 60 but much
colder higher elevations.

Many areas will see their first sub-freezing temperatures early next week.  High elevations will be downright cold.   
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 497
« Reply #371 on: October 15, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
48 and rain is down right cold when it was 90 just a few days ago.  ::cold::

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: October 15, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
48 and rain is down right cold when it was 90 just a few days ago.  ::cold::

Didn't realize the big contrast in temps across the state today.  It was near 80 over here with a good dose of humidity to go along with it. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 556
« Reply #373 on: October 15, 2018, 06:26:08 PM »
(Attachment Link)
Highs in the 40s for San Antonio/Austin tomorrow. They're pushing 40F below normal in some areas of Central TX.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:57 PM »
Cooler air pushing its way back into eastern TN with heavy rain and some thunder this evening.  Already up to .64" of rain and it's still pouring. 

Post Merge: October 16, 2018, 06:54:18 AM
Parts of Michigan will probably see their first lake effect snow showers Wednesday and again late weekend.  Nothing heavy--a few inches of snow, but it's a sign that our pattern has changed and autumn is definitely taking over. 

On a different note, I had .80" of rain in just about an hour last night, along with several booms of thunder.  A stormy ending to a summer-like day.   
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:54:18 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement