* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)  (Read 20169 times)

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 556
Re: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
« Reply #345 on: October 11, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »
Sergio looks to interact with arctic air in the southern plains for a really decent snow storm. Amarillo TX weather has always fascinated me but not to the point to live there. Sergio should get stalled along a front in western TN early next week and put down 2 to 3 inches of rain with some cool air to boot.
Similarly so, I've always felt the same about Denver. 80F one day, snow the next. 3000+ mean sunshine hours per month, 50" of annual snowfall. Some severe wx, but no humidity. Must be nice not being down wind from a massive tub of bath water.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:58:34 PM by Clay »

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #346 on: October 11, 2018, 04:36:05 PM »
What is this strange figure that is in the forecast tonight... low of 42- what is that? What will that feel like?

Might we die if we are out in that?

;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 860
« Reply #347 on: October 11, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »
The sun is still above the horizon and it's already down to 63 with a good breeze blowing.  Finally feels like October!
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline ChrisPC

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #348 on: October 11, 2018, 06:06:17 PM »
42? Its the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 497
« Reply #349 on: October 12, 2018, 06:52:17 AM »
A wonderful 45 degrees this morning.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: October 12, 2018, 07:08:52 AM »
Didn't make it to 42, but I'm happy with a marvelous 49 this morning. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 273
« Reply #351 on: October 12, 2018, 07:25:49 AM »
At the desk to start my work day with a big mug of hot English Breakfast tea and my dog curled up on her bed beside me to sleep until we get out in the glorious weather to take a long walk.  This is what October mornings should be.  ;D

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #352 on: October 12, 2018, 08:14:22 AM »
I have a feeling we may see a fairly abrupt change of foliage in the next week or two with this cool weather + the shorter hours of daylight at this point. With the rainfall seen over the last month, the trees seem fairly lush and green, so I'm hoping we'll see some nice color this year.

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 556
« Reply #353 on: October 12, 2018, 09:50:00 AM »
41F IMBY. Fall is here to stay. Or at least I hope, my <90F prediction went down a week later.  >:D

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 501
« Reply #354 on: October 12, 2018, 11:39:43 AM »
I have a feeling we may see a fairly abrupt change of foliage in the next week or two with this cool weather + the shorter hours of daylight at this point. With the rainfall seen over the last month, the trees seem fairly lush and green, so I'm hoping we'll see some nice color this year.

Agree. I expect a vibrant turnout in East Tenn. For those looking for a weekend getaway, the Smokies will be gorgeous around Halloween.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: October 12, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
Sugar maples near my house are already showing a slight orange tint.  With the cool nights deep into the 40's, they'll be putting on a good show in a few weeks. This will be the first autumn in several years without dryness, so I would think the color would be better this year compared to previous, especially 2016.   
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #356 on: October 13, 2018, 12:33:43 AM »
Sugar maples near my house are already showing a slight orange tint.  With the cool nights deep into the 40's, they'll be putting on a good show in a few weeks. This will be the first autumn in several years without dryness, so I would think the color would be better this year compared to previous, especially 2016.

I dunno. My maples have lost approximately 30%-50% of their leaves already...way ahead of schedule. No color; they just turned brown and dropped. I've already had to mulch leaves...something I have NEVER done this early. I've seen several huge, mature white oaks that are almost devoid of leaves entirely. Same thing; they just turned brown and dropped. I'm not sure if it's the heat or what that did it, but it'll be interesting to see how this transitions into the colors (or lack thereof) in the next couple 1-2 weeks.

Offline Skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #357 on: October 13, 2018, 01:20:31 AM »
I dunno. My maples have lost approximately 30%-50% of their leaves already...way ahead of schedule. No color; they just turned brown and dropped. I've already had to mulch leaves...something I have NEVER done this early. I've seen several huge, mature white oaks that are almost devoid of leaves entirely. Same thing; they just turned brown and dropped. I'm not sure if it's the heat or what that did it, but it'll be interesting to see how this transitions into the colors (or lack thereof) in the next couple 1-2 weeks.
I think some trees react to the suns angle more then others possibly. Ive noticed lots of the same for the past few weeks way before any kind of cool down occurred.
Snow, flood and storm lover.

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #358 on: October 13, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
Late season heat and humidity have a negative effect on fall color, at least in my experience.  I planted a grove of aspen trees about fifteen years ago in order to enjoy their brilliant yellow fall color.  However, while the trees have thrived, never once have they produced any color.  In late September their leaves simply mildew, wither, and blow away.  This environment is not necessarily that much hotter than their native climate, but it is much more humid.
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 273
« Reply #359 on: October 13, 2018, 08:40:23 AM »
It's a strange scene in Knoxville this morning.  Beautiful cool temperatures, nice chilly breeze, some bright blue sky, but also some low, very dark clouds that just seem out of place.  Later in the year it would look like snow.

Advertisement