* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter 2018-19  (Read 251833 times)

Offline Flash

Re: Winter 2018-19
« Reply #3420 on: February 12, 2019, 09:09:37 AM »
If you watch James Spannís Weather Xtreme videos, his comments today on model madness says enough in fewer words. While Iím not far from resigned as far as this winter in TN goes, taking things day by day is really the way to go. Who knows if we have 4-5 weeks of realistic opportunity left. All I know is Iíd rather bungie jump than cliff dive at this point.

Side note: Fam up in University Place, WA clocked in at 11.4Ē of snow for the week. Rain cutting into current depth as we speak. Might be easier to accept this winter as generational for other locations and move on. Law of averages will be quicker to deliver our area something apppreciable before the areas currently getting slammed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:12:47 AM by Flash »
"By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast." ~ Job 37:10 (ESV)

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #3421 on: February 12, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
Side note: Fam up in University Place, WA clocked in at 11.4Ē of snow for the week. Rain cutting into current depth as we speak. Might be easier to accept this winter as generational for other locations and move on. Law of averages will be quicker to deliver our area something apppreciable before the areas currently getting slammed.

Sometimes its hard to get out of the MBY mindset. The PAC NW is having a once in every 20-30 years snow year and the midwest had a bout of once in 20-30 year cold. We've just not had much luck in the last decade when it comes to big time winter events/periods.

Offline Flash

« Reply #3422 on: February 12, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »
Sometimes its hard to get out of the MBY mindset. The PAC NW is having a once in every 20-30 years snow year and the midwest had a bout of once in 20-30 year cold. We've just not had much luck in the last decade when it comes to big time winter events/periods.

Exactly. I think the way TN winters are trending, youíll save a lot of grief if you ditch that mentality. I know flexibility can be a fleeting luxury, but from November to March, Iím all about siezing open door ops to experience snow. Thereís peace to be found when you accept the fact youíre way more reliable to comply with winter than the other way around. 
"By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast." ~ Job 37:10 (ESV)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1468
« Reply #3423 on: February 12, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
Judah Cohen made some interesting comments in his blog. 

As I discussed in the last three weeks of the blog the cold temperatures in the stratosphere are focused in Siberia and western North America and could be a sign where the coldest temperatures at the surface may be focused as well during the remainder of the month of February.

And as for March:

The forecast for the troposphere is ridging centered in Western Canada, from Greenland over to Scandinavia and in East Asia with troughs across south of the Aleutians, eastern North America, Europe and Siberia.   This pattern favors cold temperatures for much of Europe, Northern Asia especially Siberia, Eastern Canada and the Eastern US with relatively mild temperatures for Southeast Asia and much of western North America

It's feeling like a carbon copy of last year.  Warm February, and March ends up colder, especially as the month progresses.  Snow is certainly possible in March if cold air lingers, but not everyone is happy to see it that late in the game.   

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3424 on: February 12, 2019, 09:49:33 AM »

And as for March:

It's feeling like a carbon copy of last year.  Warm February, and March ends up colder, especially as the month progresses.  Snow is certainly possible in March if cold air lingers, but not everyone is happy to see it that late in the game.

It's feeling like a carbon copy of EVERY year! I don't like spring around here very much anymore.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1674
« Reply #3425 on: February 12, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »

And as for March:

wouldn't put much stock in cohen crap.. says this every year... bastardi clone
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #3426 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »
It's feeling like a carbon copy of EVERY year! I don't like spring around here very much anymore.

Yeah, we haven't had a nice spring in many years.  Actually, the last warm March and April I can remember was way back in 2011.  I don't want a repeat of that year for obvious reasons, but what's up with spring lately?  Come mid/late March, I'm ready for it. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #3427 on: February 12, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
Yeah, we haven't had a nice spring in many years.  Actually, the last warm March and April I can remember was way back in 2011.  I don't want a repeat of that year for obvious reasons, but what's up with spring lately?  Come mid/late March, I'm ready for it.
there going be spring this year... its coming... trough going be west like ensembles... I take another 2011... mother nature due to bring us the goods
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:25:52 AM by BRUCE »

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #3428 on: February 12, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
Yeah, we haven't had a nice spring in many years.  Actually, the last warm March and April I can remember was way back in 2011. 
You may mean 2012. March was +11 in Nashville with below normal precip. We started hitting 70 the last week of February and never looked back.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #3429 on: February 12, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »
You may mean 2012. March was +11 in Nashville with below normal precip. We started hitting 70 the last week of February and never looked back.
yeah  2011 and 2012 were both warm springs

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #3430 on: February 12, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »

Yeah, my memory shows it age.  2011 & '12 were mild.  However, 2012 swung too quickly over to hot to be enjoyable.  June was brutal.  Give me an April & May in the 60's and 70's, and I'm happy.  Last April was miserable. 

We humans don't ask for too much, do we?   ;D
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3431 on: February 12, 2019, 11:08:49 AM »
Y'all, I'm just gonna say that March 2012 was a beautiful thing. February started warm, turned cold, then went warm at the end...we hit the mid 70s here on the plateau on February 24 that year. Then the average daily high in March was 70 degrees. It was glorious. I'd take it again in a heartbeat. We actually hit 86 degrees on March 21 and March 22. And only four days with sub-60 highs.

I've been dreaming about another March like that for seven years since.  ;D The only downside was it was pretty wet, with 8.5 inches of rainfall.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #3432 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »
I know most people go there to chase tornadoes, but I'm ready to chase some sunshine in the OKC.

Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 393
« Reply #3433 on: February 12, 2019, 12:23:24 PM »
I just got back from a lunch meeting in West Knoxville and am somewhat surprised at how much water is on the roads so quickly with the rain we've had so far.  It's evidence of the saturation we knew was there, and if the next week or more plays out as expected things are going to be very interesting around here.  This may be the perfect time to ask my wife about putting bigger tires and a snorkel on my truck.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3434 on: February 12, 2019, 12:24:59 PM »
Or, price some amphibious vehicles!

* Recent Posts

Fall 2019
by StormNine
[Today at 06:44:38 PM]
General Climate Thread
by DocB
[Today at 12:47:19 PM]
Summer 2019 Thread - To sweat or not to sweat, that is the question.
by StormNine
[August 18, 2019, 02:48:35 PM]
Winter 2019-2020
by StormNine
[August 18, 2019, 08:45:06 AM]
North Atlantic Tropical Season 2019 Thread
by StormNine
[August 15, 2019, 08:12:55 PM]

Advertisement