* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter 2018-19  (Read 135995 times)

bearsfan85, chattowngirl, JenCanIre, StormNine, jeh, Curt and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1331
Re: Winter 2018-19
« Reply #1650 on: January 18, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »
A foot total or a foot from 1 event?

I’ve lived on this earth for 26 years and haven’t experienced a double digit snowfall! (Highest I’ve measured is around 9”).

In one event.  That last time I saw that much snow on the ground was February 1998, when I still lived in southeast KY.  Double digit snow events are somewhat more common there. 

Of course, I'll also gladly take it spread out over a two week period--3 inches at a time.  I'm not picky.

As far as your area--I hope it's your year!
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline gcbama

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1651 on: January 18, 2019, 08:27:16 AM »
In my mind if we have ~3-4 “small” snow events (~1”) and then one “big” snow (~3”+), I count the winter as a success.

I guess I am greedy or maybe just wishing for my childhood. But when I was a kid / teenager here in Tennessee you expected about three events a year that gave you 3-4 inches plus and one of those would end up being closer to 6 inches.

Now a days people get excited for dustings/coatings or even seeing sleet because good snow has been hard to find lately :(

I can remember many many times having heavy snow warnings ( back when that was still a thing) for5-6+ inches
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:32:18 AM by gcbama »

Offline Michael

• Supercell
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1652 on: January 18, 2019, 08:32:07 AM »

I’ve lived on this earth for 26 years and haven’t experienced a double digit snowfall! (Highest I’ve measured is around 9”).
93 Blizzard we had 18”
Since then, we’ve never hit above 8”.
This past December’s event, we got 5”. But, 8 miles up the road had 10”.
We’ve had several in the 4-6” range since 93, but haven’t hit double digits since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #1653 on: January 18, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »
12z NAM is coming in much weaker with the precip shield. Meh.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline gcbama

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1654 on: January 18, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
93 Blizzard we had 18”
Since then, we’ve never hit above 8”.
This past December’s event, we got 5”. But, 8 miles up the road had 10”.
We’ve had several in the 4-6” range since 93, but haven’t hit double digits since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot remember the year but I think 2010...we had 9 on the ground in lewis county then a clipper came by and dropped a fast inch so we had 10 after two days ( most I have seen here).

Since 2003 I think we have had 3+ inches maybe 4 times in 16 years. It has been bad. 

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1655 on: January 18, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »
I guess I am greedy or maybe just wishing for my childhood. But when I was a kid / teenager here in Tennessee you expected about three events a year that gave you 3-4 inches plus and one of those would end up being closer to 6 inches.

Now a days people get excited for dustings/coatings or even seeing sleet because good snow has been hard to find lately :(

It's funny the perceptions... I think I have about 10 years on you. I also said the same thing about growing up in the 1980s... I'd tell people we were good for two or three 2-inchers and maybe one 6-incher per winter. But, I would say that during the 1990s and 2000s when it didn't seem like we got the snow we did when *I* was growing up in the 1980s. ;) Looking back, I figured out that my memories were exaggerated somewhat. In reality, there were some years in the 1980s when there wasn't much snow. Of course, my memories will tend to go to years like '85 and '88, and that will color what I think "winters" were like during my childhood.

For the most part, I think of the 1990s and 2000s as being fairly meager. I can list the exceptions- 1993 had the big one, but that may affected the eastern part of the state. 1994 featured the big ice storm, and one other snow event and cold, and that was about it. 1996 was good (probably the best year that I can recall from the 1990s actually). But, it was honestly pretty meager other than a "decent" event here and there until about 2003, which was a good winter, but that was mainly because of one event.

I will say that southern Middle TN received a few impressive events from ULLs during the 2000s that missed the greater Nashville area... so, that might explain a difference too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:40:35 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1656 on: January 18, 2019, 08:37:12 AM »
I've lived here 40 years and I've never seen a foot of snow.

All of mine were experienced in KY.  1977 (I was very young, but I remember I couldn't walk in it).  1985, 1993 (Superstorm), 1994, & 1998.   In the winter of 95-96, I experienced several near 8".  That was the last of the "great ones" in my lifetime.  1998 was a freak event during a mild, wet winter.  Crockett knows about that one, I believe. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1471
« Reply #1657 on: January 18, 2019, 08:38:43 AM »

that post there just blows me away Charles... I did not know that... and you have lived in a pretty good area for snow also... im quite bit older than you Charles..but your post sets a perfect example the climate has changed... my first 26 years of my life time... I say I experienced at least 10 snows in double digit... god knows how many I cant remember... I say the last 26 years of my life... I have see just one snow in double digits... late February 2009... I got 13 inches from that big bowling ball ull... the snow totals were very tight gradient... I just got luck that night...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #1658 on: January 18, 2019, 08:42:07 AM »
that post there just blows me away Charles... I did not know that... and you have lived in a pretty good area for snow also... im quite bit older than you Charles..but your post sets a perfect example the climate has changed... my first 26 years of my life time... I say I experienced at least 10 snows in double digit... god knows how many I cant remember... I say the last 26 years of my life... I have see just one snow in double digits... late February 2009... I got 13 inches from that big bowling ball ull... the snow totals were very tight gradient... I just got luck that night...

We get more snow up here than most in middle TN. But they are mostly 1-2” snows while others get a dusting at best.

Now ice events...we seem to get a decent one each year now!
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1690
« Reply #1659 on: January 18, 2019, 08:49:25 AM »
Never seen a foot of snow here in one snowfall but we have been close at times over my lifespan. Our 24 hour record here is 12" inches set in like 1910. That is my what my snow goal is for here, a footer in one storm. It's a good goal, we made a run at it in 09 with the upper low in march we got 9 inches. The first snow I ever remember was 1969 Christmas eve we got 10 inches, that is what hooked me. In our great winters of the 70's and 80's we had a few 8 inches in one setting. And at one point in the seventies we were close to a foot on the ground with combined events a few times. One of these days in my lifetime we are going to make a serious run at it again I hope and believe. ::popcorn:: ::cold:: ::snowman::

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #1660 on: January 18, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »
6Z GEFS is once again increasing the snow mean across the state.  Good to see that.  Just hope it actually results in something. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1471
« Reply #1661 on: January 18, 2019, 09:00:01 AM »
Never seen a foot of snow here in one snowfall but we have been close at times over my lifespan. Our 24 hour record here is 12" inches set in like 1910. That is my what my snow goal is for here, a footer in one storm. It's a good goal, we made a run at it in 09 with the upper low in march we got 9 inches. The first snow I ever remember was 1969 Christmas eve we got 10 inches, that is what hooked me. In our great winters of the 70's and 80's we had a few 8 inches in one setting. And at one point in the seventies we were close to a foot on the ground with combined events a few times. One of these days in my lifetime we are going to make a serious run at it again I hope and believe. ::popcorn:: ::cold:: ::snowman::
wow... were close same age snowman... you sure u didn't get a foot snow out of the 85 winter bud?...I know you seen several double didgits in your life... 77 bet you got least one if not two  10 inch snows at least... ::shrug::
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1690
« Reply #1662 on: January 18, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »
wow... were close same age snowman... you sure u didn't get a foot snow out of the 85 winter bud?...I know you seen several double didgits in your life... 77 bet you got least one if not two  10 inch snows at least... ::shrug::
In the 70's we had some 8-10 inch amounts recorded in our area. But our official records stand at 12" for 1 storm in 1910. Again in the 70's we went through a period of another snow every couple of days. At one point as I said we had around a foot on the ground for a few days and that whole month in 77 we never had less than 4 inches on the ground that I can remember at any time in January. In 85 we had a 8 inch snow and another 6 inch snow pretty close together and several 2-3 inch snows after that. The were a few days we did have around a foot when we had the back to back snows in 85 also. But we didn't get 12 in one storm. We had a beautiful direct west to east slider that gave us 8-9 inches county wide that was a beauty. I'm ready for more. ::popcorn:: ::snowman::
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:17:14 AM by Clarksville Snowman »

Online Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 326
« Reply #1663 on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:23 AM »
The Feb 2009 storm was about a foot along the 40 corridor from Arlington to Jackson. Probably the only time I’ve seen 2-3 foot drifts.

The system late has some possibilities. It needs a bit of a SER for us honestly.

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #1664 on: January 18, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
12z NAM is coming in much weaker with the precip shield. Meh.

Yep, if anyone is hoping for anything more than backside snow showers and a healthy dusting, they are probably going to be disappointed.

Advertisement