* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: July 20th 2018 Severe Weather Possibilities  (Read 5507 times)

Online Skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
Re: July 20th 2018 Severe Weather Possibilities
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2018, 01:55:32 AM »
This may not be done yet...

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1113.html

Weird way to watch things fire with a southwest moving outflow boundary- still not confident it will make it all the way to my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Idk this systems been one strange one for sure.. Talk about a curve ball haha. But the storms near Bowling green has like been slowing to a stall almost like its building a cold pool that we see with like big bowing sectors later. Probably just grasping though. But that could be another wave for me at least and maybe even allow storms to fire further west slightly so you might get in on the action too. Im happy now though with what I have got. Especially with how it was looking earlier for me. Probably got 2 inch's of rain now here.
Snow, flood and storm lover.

Offline WXRocker

• TN SVR WX AWARENESS FEST: JAN 1 - DEC. 31
  • Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Your TNWX Den Mother
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2018, 02:00:33 AM »
It's a bit odd for me to look out and see the flashes from lightning over in Bowling Green but I live in Hopkinsville where NOTHING at all is happening.   ::bangingheadintowall::

I hope for everyone else's safety in the thick of it all.  But here - we were done before we got started.

Quote from: ERIC
We specialize in @$$hattery.

Welcome to Tennessee, where every day's weather is an exercise in bipolar disorder.

Forum Guidelines

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 799
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2018, 05:58:57 AM »
Rounds of heavy storms overnight gave my backyard its heaviest rainfall so far this summer with 1.85" falling by morning.  It was needed.  Before last night's rain, I had only accumulated 1.79" in what is normally one of the wettest months of the year.

Gusty winds and temps in the lower 60's makes it feel more like a September morning.  I'm able to open the windows for the first time in weeks and bring the outdoors back in.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2018, 08:07:07 AM »
We picked up exactly one-half inch out here from some dying convection between 2:30 AM and 3:00 AM, but locations just west and south of us received almost nothing.  West and Middle Tennessee were certainly toxic to storms last night.  That's amazing to me, given the ingredients present.
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2018, 08:19:23 AM »
We picked up exactly one-half inch out here from some dying convection between 2:30 AM and 3:00 AM, but locations just west and south of us received almost nothing.  West and Middle Tennessee were certainly toxic to storms last night.  That's amazing to me, given the ingredients present.

The sharp demarcation between storms and nothing is impressive.

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2018, 08:32:55 AM »
Overall.  The cap was just to strong. To erode overall ... the atmosphere was pretty much a loaded gun...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »
I spent most of yesterday afternoon taking down hanging pots, hummingbird feeders, and whirlygigs.  As I was finishing up and sweating profusely, my better half ---who lives in a weather coma--- came outside and gave me "the look."

"It is not going to storm.  It just doesn't feel like it."

I guess it is not a weather coma after all.
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »
The sharp demarcation between storms and nothing is impressive.

On that map, Iím right on the edge of nothing.

Looks like another good shot of rain tomorrow. If that doesnít work out, looks like Iím going to have to water the ole fescue.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
I spent most of yesterday afternoon taking down hanging pots, hummingbird feeders, and whirlygigs.  As I was finishing up and sweating profusely, my better half ---who lives in a weather coma--- came outside and gave me "the look."

"It is not going to storm.  It just doesn't feel like it."

I guess it is not a weather coma after all.

Funny!  Human intuition and instinct FTW!  Maybe we should check with your better half come winter!  ;)

Post Merge: July 21, 2018, 11:49:51 AM
On that map, Iím right on the edge of nothing.

Looks like another good shot of rain tomorrow. If that doesnít work out, looks like Iím going to have to water the ole fescue.

Here's hoping you see some liquid sunshine.   ::fingerscrossed::

After a cloudless, beautiful blue sky this morning, clouds have rapidly redeveloped out of nowhere and nearly cover the sky now IMBY.  I don't think I've ever seen the sky cloud over that quickly before. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:49:51 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Lucas

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »
It's fascinating to me how the area on the map with no reports yesterday almost perfectly matches the shape of the mod and much of the enhanced risk yesterday.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 199
July 20th 2018 Severe Weather Possibilities
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »
Thereís a nice westerly wind thatís cutting the humidity late this afternoon. Feels nice. Forecast lows in the upper 60s.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 07:19:04 PM by Thundersnow »

Offline Tom Hensley

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2018, 08:14:15 PM »
Long range models show a more neutral/positive tilted trough coming up.We could get some strong isolated storms depending on where any short waves rotate,least the Euro shows this right now.GFS not so much.But another front either way is being shown around next weekend.The MJO looks to be getting into the Gulf of Mexico even though Euro and GEFS shows otherwise.The Euro can get extremly biased into phase 6 killing it off to quickly.Asia the next several days has tropical systems,typhoons upcoming,the long range models will have a hard time.Longer range could get interesting if the MJO is right other than the GFS  and Euro.If the MJO gets into the GOM there in this time into the first week of August a Kelvin Wave is being shown into the Gulf of Mexico so you'd have some potential tropical genesis,we'll see
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:37:08 PM by Tom Hensley »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »
There were reports of cold air funnels around the east TN area over the weekend.  Not much rain IMBY after nearly 2 inches fell Friday night, but plenty of thunder around.  Caught a building storm nicely lit by the sunset Saturday night.

Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

Advertisement