* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer (Cancel) 2018  (Read 25658 times)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 892
Re: Summer (Cancel) 2018
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2018, 08:12:38 AM »
Gonna rain.

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline bugalou

• Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »
I don't think I have ever seen so many overcast days in August since I have lived here.

Offline Skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2018, 12:06:56 PM »
So far hrrr been pretty right about today and keeping the bulk to our west. Few spotty pop ups but seems we will miss this round of rain. Hopefully next round hits us. Maybe later tonight.
Getting really pounded this morning easily 2 inch's so far with more to come it seems. Awesome :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:32:29 AM by Skillsweather »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
Despite the forecast for storms and rain to be likely today, very little of it has fallen in the eastern TN Valley.  Afternoon radar shows the rain still stuck on the Plateau.  Just a hot, muggy day with dewpoints in the lower 70's.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »
After listening to thunder out here for about two hours this morning, we picked up 0.04 inches of rain in a one-minute shower.   ::drowning::
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Offline Skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2018, 04:32:32 PM »
After listening to thunder out here for about two hours this morning, we picked up 0.04 inches of rain in a one-minute shower.   ::drowning::
Haha, Sorry. That was me that stole that rain. I was expecting more of an all day rain yesterday today and saturday but its not looking like thats how this is going to play out. I mean technically my area recieved the forecasted amounts for the whole weekend already but as youve stated a lot have been missed. Usually its me so im glad its not this go around.

Guess no rain tonight. Radar looks so meh like it has all day besides this morning.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:38:18 PM by Skillsweather »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »
Interesting 6-10 day outlook concerning temperatures. . .

I'm ready for a break in this humidity.  Yeah, I know it's August.  I'll be patient. 

Post Merge: August 18, 2018, 06:04:12 AM
I may not have to wait long after all.  Some good overnight sleeping weather on the horizon, and the AC may finally get a few days of rest.

High temps through the period will
be near normal to several degrees below normal. The biggest temp
story is the overnight lows Wednesday night and Thursday as
temperatures will range from the upper 50s to low 60s, which will be
a nice change of pace.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:04:12 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 358
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »
Finally getting rain. .60in in the last 10 mins. Well below what was forecast but, Iíll take it.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly Ė raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2018, 03:22:55 PM »
This weather "event" has underperformed in many areas.  I've yet to see a quarter inch, and most surrounding counties have seen under a half.  Certainly not the 1-2" forecast over the last two days.  Radar looks pretty anemic over east TN currently.  The widespread heavy rain didn't materialize here. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:28:11 PM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 502
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »
I saw something crazy this afternoon. I assume it was a land spout trying to form. The white funnel was wrapped up and rotating nicely. There was only a small shower associated with it.

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 524
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2018, 10:51:25 PM »
I saw something crazy this afternoon. I assume it was a land spout trying to form. The white funnel was wrapped up and rotating nicely. There was only a small shower associated with it.

The only time I've seen a funnel of any sort was in a shower on a June day back in 2010 or so near the Tunica Cutoff. I don't think it qualified as a landspout and there weren't any others reported that day. Besides that, I've seen a rotating wall cloud as a 7-year old and on Super Tuesday.

Meanwhile, a smoke front...

Increasing smoke including a "smoke front" from the #MendocinoComplex can be seen edging southward into northern Yolo county. Smoke & haze also covers the #BayArea. Sat imagery seen here, loop is 5:52 pm to 6:47 pm, is used for smoke detection. Lighter gray over ocean is stratus.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
The mid-week storm system that ushers in a taste of fall-ish weather really deepens as it heads from the Plains to the Great Lakes.  It's more like a late September system in terms of strength.  The 12Z GFS also shows quite the cold shot into southeastern Canada around 9/1 with snow possibly flying just north of Maine.   
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
Iím going to Denver this weekend for the first time in my life. Planning on going to Rocky Mountain National Park and hiking Longís Peak. Itís over 14000í. Looks like temps will be in the mid 30ís to mid 50ís with decent rain chances. This will be the highest elevation Iíve ever personally been to. It wonít be impossible to see some wintry precip near the summit.
So this turned out to be a great learning experience for me. Had to change our plans for Longís Peak due to potential bad weather. We did flat top mountain instead. It was a shorter hike to 12300í. Didnít matter. The weather was absolutely horrible. The difference in conditions between 10000í and 12000í was insane. We had wind driven hail and rain with temps in the mid 30ís at the top. It was 55 degrees and calm at the trailhead. Iíve never been so cold in my life. We did make it all the way up though.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Storm Central

• Derecho
  • First Alert Weather - Storm Central
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 148
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2018, 09:29:29 PM »

Maybe a cold air funnel? Idk

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2018, 07:47:02 AM »
Per MRX, the first taste of early fall weather is still on schedule.  Looking forward to a nice break from the "thick" air.

Not that I would recommend
calling in sick, but it looks like the nicest day of the period.
Plenty of sun expected with the drier air behind the front, high
temps in the upper 70s to near 80, and dewpoints in the mid 50s to
near 60. It will definitely feel like Fall! Thursday night couldn`t
get any better for late August, clear skies with lows in the upper
50s to low 60s expected. High pressure continues on Friday with
slowly warming temperatures, but still pleasant.
Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

Nov 14. 15 snow threat
by BRUCE
[Today at 01:10:28 AM]
Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
by Nashville_Wx
[Yesterday at 08:47:24 PM]
Winter 2018-19
by JayCee
[Yesterday at 04:39:22 PM]
BEMIS, TN --Historical Weather Facts, Climate Data, and Rainfall