* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer (Cancel) 2018  (Read 23346 times)

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1144
Re: Summer (Cancel) 2018
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2018, 07:54:07 AM »
And December 21st is one my favorite days.. cause days slowly start to get longer .... lol
Come on severe wx season...

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 497
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
While I was in town, summer was very nice in Knoxville. There were a couple of weeks in May and June that got pretty hot, but other than that, we've had plenty of rainfall, avoided a drought, and never hit triple digits. Normally, there are at least one or two forecasts for triple digits each summer (for East TN), and we have not experienced that yet.

It's a safe bet we will not approach 100 this summer. We came very close last summer, peaking at 99F in late July shortly before record cold low temperatures.

Pattern looks stormier than usual heading into the fall.

Post Merge: August 06, 2018, 10:33:19 AM
Nice, love it. My favorite time of year, fall/winter, approaches. August/September seems like it drags on forever as I wait for that first crisp cool front. Summer, for the most part, has been relatively pleasant.

With the exception of 2017, October has joined those months in seeming like the warm temperatures drag on forever. It's not abnormal anymore to reach 80 in the middle of October. Even that first week of November can be sticky and warm. After the first freeze last October, we were in the high 70s for the 1st week of November in Knoxville. It was gross.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:33:19 AM by schneitzeit, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 857
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2018, 12:08:17 PM »
In the "year of fire" (2016), we regularly surpassed 80 clear up to Thanksgiving.  Worst autumn I've experienced since moving here in 2003, and hope for no repeat any time soon.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »
The Interior Northwest is about to have a fierce heatwave.  Temperatures will flirt with 110 in parts of Washington State and Idaho. We have had our rounds with hot and humid weather but we have fared better than a lot of the world this summer. Thankfully we look to head into a stormier and cooler pattern this week.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
After I read Storm's post, I checked the forecast for Walla Walla.  Pretty miserable. . .

Tonight
Widespread haze. Mostly clear, with a low around 64. West wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm.
Tuesday
Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 101. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
Tuesday Night
Widespread haze. Mostly clear, with a low around 66. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming east in the evening.
Wednesday
Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 108. Light and variable wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
Widespread haze. Clear, with a low around 71. Northwest wind 6 to 9 mph becoming east in the evening.
Thursday
Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 110.
Thursday Night
Widespread haze. Clear, with a low around 72.
Friday
Widespread haze. Sunny and hot, with a high near 101.

Not a good summer to be huntin' Bigfoot in the Pacific Northwest. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2018, 11:13:46 PM »
After I read Storm's post, I checked the forecast for Walla Walla.  Pretty miserable. . .

Not a good summer to be huntin' Bigfoot in the Pacific Northwest.

Iím vacationing in Oregon this week. Fortunately down here in the Eugene area the haze hasnít gotten too bad yet. Hoping that fires donít flare up even more in southern Oregon/NorCal. My whole trip is based around going to the Redwood Forest.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »
As the ridge pumps up in the west, a trough begins to dig in our area leading to storms and cooler weather.  Looks like it could be a long wet spell extending into the weekend and beyond with at least a shot of rain every dayóvery atypical for the August dog days.  No complaints if it will help my electric bill. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »
As the ridge pumps up in the west, a trough begins to dig in our area leading to storms and cooler weather.  Looks like it could be a long wet spell extending into the weekend and beyond with at least a shot of rain every dayóvery atypical for the August dog days.  No complaints if it will help my electric bill.
Yesterday ended a streak of 7 straight days with some form of rain for me. And it was a close call. I heard loud thunder last night, but never got any rain.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »
While I was in town, summer was very nice in Knoxville. There were a couple of weeks in May and June that got pretty hot, but other than that, we've had plenty of rainfall, avoided a drought, and never hit triple digits. Normally, there are at least one or two forecasts for triple digits each summer (for East TN), and we have not experienced that yet.

It's a safe bet we will not approach 100 this summer. We came very close last summer, peaking at 99F in late July shortly before record cold low temperatures.

Pattern looks stormier than usual heading into the fall.

Post Merge: August 06, 2018, 10:33:19 AM
With the exception of 2017, October has joined those months in seeming like the warm temperatures drag on forever. It's not abnormal anymore to reach 80 in the middle of October. Even that first week of November can be sticky and warm. After the first freeze last October, we were in the high 70s for the 1st week of November in Knoxville. It was gross.

I miss those crisp October days that actually felt like hunting and football weather, when you wanted to grab a flannel shirt and squeeze apples for cider instead of mowing grass. We don't have many of those anymore.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: August 07, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »
Spring and fall are my two favorite seasons as far as outdoor enjoyment, and both have declined in duration over the last decade. The transition time between summer and winter has shrunk nearly out of existence--and probably another reason spring severe season has been a no-show.  A winter type weather pattern has lingered well into April the last several years.  Likewise, summer warmth seems to linger on well into late October. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #190 on: August 07, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »
Spring and fall are my two favorite seasons as far as outdoor enjoyment, and both have declined in duration over the last decade. The transition time between summer and winter has shrunk nearly out of existence--and probably another reason spring severe season has been a no-show.  A winter type weather pattern has lingered well into April the last several years.  Likewise, summer warmth seems to linger on well into late October.

One of the great victims of today's climate definitely seems to have been the transitional seasons.

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1144
« Reply #191 on: August 07, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »
One of the great victims of today's climate definitely seems to have been the transitional seasons.
to be honest ... spring is also a thing in the past ... we pretty much have two seasons now ... summer.  Winter ...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
Yesterday ended a streak of 7 straight days with some form of rain for me. And it was a close call. I heard loud thunder last night, but never got any rain.

Another 3 day wet spell coming (and could last even beyond Saturday).

Normally, we're baking and drying out under a sub-tropical high pressure, and hoping for tropical system to break the heat.  Not this year. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 05:54:54 PM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »
Nice complex is roaring through the Nashville area.

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
I know there isn't an official Fall thread yet, but whats the early look from our long range prognosticators?

Advertisement