* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Severe Threat, March 19, 2018  (Read 13659 times)

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 863
Severe Threat, March 19, 2018
« on: March 18, 2018, 11:09:33 AM »
Been a while since I started a thread.  Here goes.

Potential for a severe weather outbreak over Dixie Alley tomorrow.  Greatest threat for TN is S of I-40 with large hail, winds, and a few strong tornadoes all possible within the ENH risk area.  As always there are caveats with these types of systems - amount of destabilization, ongoing morning convection, cloud cover, etc. - but the threat is there.  I'm afraid, though, that if this thing fires off as expected, and there are remnants of earlier crapvection, this does indeed have the April 10, 2009 feel to it, as Andy intimated.  The EF4 that hit the 'Boro in 2009 was initiated by a rogue outflow boundary left over from morning convection.  Not saying we'll have a redux, but the precedent has been set.

#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Box 100 Wx Lead Forecaster
Lavergne, TN

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: Severe Threat, March 19, 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »
My biggest concern right now is I think a lot of people are going to be caught off guard. This really seems to have snuck up out of nowhere for the most part and I don't think the public is very aware.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
It should be noted that there are some differences between the NAM and the GFS as far as how far north the strong to severe storm threat gets.  The GFS would feature a severe threat as far north as the KY/TN border, while the NAM and NAM 3k keep much of the instability south of I-40.  The exact low track and presence of morning convection will determine how far north that threat goes. 

The fact that there is some minor capping is a bit of concern as that would prevent additional convection and lead to unstable atmosphere developing, leading to intense convection developing later in the afternoon.  This is what storm chasers like to see in the plains, a cap that is weak enough to break, but strong enough to prevent late morning-midday convection from ruining the greater hail/tornado threat.  Steep lapse rates along with a favorable combination of shear/instability will not only suggest a tornado concern, but also a concern for very large hail. 

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1146
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:50:36 AM »
It should be noted that there are some differences between the NAM and the GFS as far as how far north the strong to severe storm threat gets.  The GFS would feature a severe threat as far north as the KY/TN border, while the NAM and NAM 3k keep much of the instability south of I-40.  The exact low track and presence of morning convection will determine how far north that threat goes. 

The fact that there is some minor capping is a bit of concern as that would prevent additional convection and lead to unstable atmosphere developing, leading to intense convection developing later in the afternoon.  This is what storm chasers like to see in the plains, a cap that is weak enough to break, but strong enough to prevent late morning-midday convection from ruining the greater hail/tornado threat.  Steep lapse rates along with a favorable combination of shear/instability will not only suggest a tornado concern, but also a concern for very large hail.
also... note...  dont count out severe storms late tonight with the passing of the warm front boundary ... though hail will be main threat with these... storms should stay elevated in nature... tomorrow is still big question to me... if the junk can get out n clear in time.... also question how far west can the threat materialize ... something keep eye out. ::coffee::
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1779
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 11:57:14 AM »
The triple point will definitely come into play somewhere across middle TN too, maybe even southern KY if the low goes a little further north than forecast.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 12:56:55 PM »
James Spann will be doing a FB Live at 8 central tonight about tomorrow's threat. I trust and value anything the man has to say.

Offline SuperCell

• Thunderstorm
    • Cannon County Storm Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
James Spann will be doing a FB Live at 8 central tonight about tomorrow's threat. I trust and value anything the man has to say.
Same here.
Also looks like large hail is a good possibility. Just what my car needs...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:32:31 PM by SuperCell »
Formerly known as VandyMachine...Up on the Highland Rim, where the weather is always more interesting!

Offline AdamLewis

• Sunny
  • Here to learn...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 01:45:50 PM »
What is the timing on this?

Offline Susan

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »
I think 2 - 5p for middle Tennessee
All my misspelled words, typos, and grammatical errors, are intentional, and intended to troll and provoke.

Offline Skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 02:04:59 PM »
Wonder if schools will dismiss earlier? Probably not but if this starts cranking up some might. If it ends up being clear and sunny tomorrow then thats probably going to mean bigger storms for us potentially since everything else is kind of there.
Snow, flood and storm lover.

Offline andyhb

• Supercell
  • Tornado/Severe Weather Connoisseur Since Age 3
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: Spring 2018
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 02:21:23 PM »
12z CAMs were generally very ominous for tomorrow. It seems almost a certainty that supercells will be the dominant storm mode tomorrow given the low amplitude nature of the shortwave, spotty capping, a pretty obvious pre-frontal trough/pseudo-dryline (yes, whenever these make it east of the MS, there is generally trouble) and shear vectors oriented very favorably to it.

There are still some questions regarding the degree of low level wind response, the resiliency of the wedge front (warm sector extent) and how far into Middle TN sees a threat. Large hail seems almost a certainty, and I can certainly see a scenario that results in a fairly significant tornado outbreak tomorrow given the parameter space and favorable synoptics. GA might have problems after dark tomorrow too.
Dynamic upper level troughs with adequate warm sector instability™

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1146
Re: Re: Spring 2018
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »
12z CAMs were generally very ominous for tomorrow. It seems almost a certainty that supercells will be the dominant storm mode tomorrow given the low amplitude nature of the shortwave, spotty capping, a pretty obvious pre-frontal trough/pseudo-dryline (yes, whenever these make it east of the MS, there is generally trouble) and shear vectors oriented very favorably to it.

There are still some questions regarding the degree of low level wind response, the resiliency of the wedge front (warm sector extent) and how far into Middle TN sees a threat. Large hail seems almost a certainty, and I can certainly see a scenario that results in a fairly significant tornado outbreak tomorrow given the parameter space and favorable synoptics. GA might have problems after dark tomorrow too.
also appears a nice dry line pushing out of east texas towards midsouth could help things also... interesting... 12z euro actually was a up tick in the threat... tomorrow ::coffee::

Post Merge: March 18, 2018, 03:21:33 PM
read on line   4  16  98   was being used for analog tomorrow... ::wow:: not sure bout that...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:21:33 PM by BRUCE, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Come on severe wx season...

Offline DeborahFaye

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »
Wonder if schools will dismiss earlier? Probably not but if this starts cranking up some might. If it ends up being clear and sunny tomorrow then thats probably going to mean bigger storms for us potentially since everything else is kind of there.

Several north Alabama schools have already announced they are closing early tomorrow...

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 05:45:48 PM »
I can't believe this thread isn't up to at least 3 pages yet lol.

Offline Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1066
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »
Several north Alabama schools have already announced they are closing early tomorrow...
Yes I just talked to my brother in Hartselle Alabama and he said schools were closing. Some are on spring break this week too.

Advertisement