* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: 3/10-3/14 Appalachia Snow Potential  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 187
Re: 3/10-3/14 Appalachia Snow Potential
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
Whenever I complain about lackluster winters in the American South, I have to remind myself what it's like dealing with weather like that every week up North.

I've been checking a New England weather forum today and its interesting. One guy said he only considers a storm "good" if he gets to 18", another was poo-pooing 1" per hour rates while waiting on the good stuff.  ::)

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2018, 03:54:21 PM »
I've been checking a New England weather forum today and its interesting. One guy said he only considers a storm "good" if he gets to 18", another was poo-pooing 1" per hour rates while waiting on the good stuff.  ::)
I'm sure we would have a different attitude if we lived up there. I will stick with my Tennessee winters. Makes you enjoy it more. I do want to experience one of those monsters though.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »
I'm sure we would have a different attitude if we lived up there. I will stick with my Tennessee winters. Makes you enjoy it more. I do want to experience one of those monsters though.

Agreed.  Cold and snow for a few weeks is special.  Cold and snow for 4 continuous months would make me lose my southern hospitality. 

Post Merge: March 13, 2018, 07:59:55 PM
Upper east TN looking better this evening in terms of snow potential:

Area Forecast Discussion...UPDATED
National Weather Service Morristown TN
745 PM EDT Tue Mar 13 2018

.DISCUSSION...A short-wave will move southeast across the southern
Appalachians overnight with an area of cold air associated with
this wave. The cold air aloft will steepen the lapse rates across
southwest Virginia/northeast Tennessee producing widespread
showers. Also, wave will increase the northwesterly flow enhancing
orographic lift into the mountains.

Given the expected orographic lift and snow squalls, have followed
latest NAM/GFS guidance to produce a swath of snow from southeast
Kentucky southeast into the far north and central Mountains. Since
temperatures will drop well into the 20s and occurring at night,
do feel accumulations of snow will occur even in the valley.

Have expanded winter weather advisory to include from Claiborne to
Greeene Counties. This will also include the Tri-Cities.

Depending on where the heavier bands setup, snowfall will vary.
Overall anticipated between 1 and 2 inches with heavier amounts up
to 4 inches over the higher elevations.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:00:35 PM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Michael

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2018, 07:35:58 AM »
Several areas of the Northern Valley picked up a nice 1”-2” last night! We doubled our snowfall total with this little wave of energy. Lol. Pretty sad. But, Morristown area saw a nice little accumulation this morning. Will try to post pics later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »
Several areas of the Northern Valley picked up a nice 1”-2” last night! We doubled our snowfall total with this little wave of energy. Lol. Pretty sad. But, Morristown area saw a nice little accumulation this morning. Will try to post pics later.

MRX nailed that one.  The had the right counties in the weather advisory.  We had some flurries, but no accumulation here.  Cold!  Still at 33 at 11:30, and the wind is making it feel worse.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »
I am very glad to see some of y'all received some accumulation over the past few days. While minor, it might turn a D- winter grade into a D.

Offline GravityWave

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
A CoCoRaHS report listed Jonesborough at 3.8 inches of new snow from last night. Their yearly total is now 10.0. Jonesborough typically does better than my location.  I haven’t kept detailed records, but my total for the winter is probably around 7 inches.  Considering this area missed out on any major systems, I’m actually not too disappointed with this winter.

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2018, 11:59:00 AM »
An inch of snow last night makes it the second biggest snowfall of the season here...and (almost) completely unexpected.  ;D

Offline Michael

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »
I am very glad to see some of y'all received some accumulation over the past few days. While minor, it might turn a D- winter grade into a D.
Parts of Morristown received nearly 3 inches. My place in Russellville only received about 1 inch. We were on the outer edge of the heavy band that passed over Morristown. But, I say this went from an F to D- after the past 2-3 days. Still didn’t top 3 inches total for the year at my house.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2018, 04:17:27 AM »
Parts of Morristown received nearly 3 inches. My place in Russellville only received about 1 inch. We were on the outer edge of the heavy band that passed over Morristown. But, I say this went from an F to D- after the past 2-3 days. Still didn’t top 3 inches total for the year at my house.

I don't know if you're done yet.

Offline Michael

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2018, 06:50:00 AM »
I don't know if you're done yet.
I hope not. Sitting at just under 3 inches total (from 3 “events”). For the Northern East Tennessee Valley, that’s slightly less than half our average.

Offline RobD

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »

You are correct! I lived in NJ for 39 years before moving to TN. I remember 3 blizzards over 25 inches just in my kids lifetime, including one the weekend before we flew down to TN to see if we'd make the move. Things you have to remember about snow in the Northeast: work doesn't close, schools only close in extreme situations (the 2/03 storm gave us 26" on Presidents Day weekend; the kids were already off on the Monday for the holiday and on Tuesday only had a 2 hr delayed open.) Your car is filthy for months & the salt is corroding. The snow piles up and gets filthy. And before you leave for work/school that hasn't closed, you have to shovel your sidewalks so you don't get a ticket, and clean off your ENTIRE car so you don't get a ticket.

I'll take a TN winter any time!

Advertisement