* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Superstorm 93 - 25th Anniversary  (Read 1408 times)

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
Re: Superstorm 93 - 25th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
It was a well-hyped event, but as Thundersnow said, it deserved the billing.  It was one for the history books, and forever etched in the memories of those that experienced it.  The early forecasts started at "4 or more."  4-6" then went to 6-8".  By Friday, 8-10" was being forecast.  Little did anyone know that this storm was going to overperform in a way no one could predict.  I remember "possibly up to a foot," being forecast by Friday night, but since by Saturday morning most areas already had 7-8" on the ground, the NWS had to continually up their snowfall forecasts.  Winter storm warnings became blizzard warnings by Saturday morning and the rest is history.  20-24" was the norm in southeast KY by Sunday morning with more toward the VA border.  Easily the biggest snowstorm I've ever experienced.   
 ::snow::
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement