* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Superstorm ‘93 - 25th Anniversary  (Read 592 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Superstorm ‘93 - 25th Anniversary
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:57:53 PM »
Since there’s not much wintry to talk about at the moment, might as well mention that next month marks 25 years since the Blizzard of ‘93, truly a generational storm.

Here’s a write up from WATE in Knoxville:

http://www.wate.com/the-blizzard-of-93

Share memories of that event if you have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 978
Re: Superstorm ‘93 - 25th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:12:45 AM »
my memories of the superstorm... got little wind and few flurries.... that was about it for me... not so super here.... ;D
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 696
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:26:40 AM »
Best winter weather event I've ever experienced.  I lived in southeast KY at the time.  Anticipation was high as it approached.  It began late Friday afternoon as flurries, and by nightfall we had a dusting. By 2 a.m., it was a full blown snowstorm.  By daybreak we had about 7 inches of snow, and blizzard warnings were issued at that point.  Snow did not let up at any point during the day Saturday, blowing sideways at times, and drifting across the country road my folks lived on.  I have never seen it snow that hard for that length of time.  I was in heaven.   :D

By Sunday morning over 20 inches of snow had fallen, with drifts well over 4 feet.  The "hidden drive" sign across the street was hidden itself--only the top was showing.

Most awesome winter event I've seen in my years on Earth.  If I could choose 5 weather events to experience again, this would be number 1.

I hope everyone here has the chance to experience something similar in their lifetime.

One interesting footnote--that winter was a torch.  February, especially, was unusually warm with several severe weather episodes with tornadoes and flooding. 

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 445
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:49:58 AM »
I'll never forget it. Sun was shining here. That one event takes away the right for the ones in the East to give me grief about getting snow.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:31:10 AM »
The mere size of the monster is something to behold.   The storm system touched Canada and upper Central America at the same time.  Truly a "Storm of the Century" as it was called. 

I've always been fascinated how everything had to come together perfectly for this blizzard to occur in March.  A very unusual Arctic outbreak (in a torchy winter no less) occurred a few days prior; otherwise, it would've just been a massive rain and wind storm here.  All the weather variables aligned perfectly.  Pretty amazing. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:44:44 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline a1star93

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
What an incredible event for sure. I was 17 living in Anniston, Alabama.  I worked at Hardess just 2 miles down the road from home.  It began snowing early that afternoon, by 8 pm, the store was going to close early, by the time I had got home, which was probably around 10, our driveway was covered and I had to leave my car on the side of the road.  The forecasters were saying we would get more snow overnight and I thought cool.  No big deal.  I got up the next morning, got a shower and ready for work only to walk out the front door and our steps had been pushed to the side by the snow drift. I nearly fell out the door.  My mom asked where I thought I was going.  Eighteen inches of snow fell if I remember correctly. 
"Feel pride in how far you've come, and confidence in where you're going"

Offline Mister2011

• Sunny
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
I lived on the side of the Plateau in the Sequatchie Valley (South Pittsburg, just outside Chattanooga) during the blizzard of 93

I was only 7, but I remember vividly the thundersnow and being stuck in our house for 5 days with no power. We had 2-3' deep drifts, but I have an incredibly vivid and detailed memory of my first sled ride during the snow. I remember sitting at the top of the slope and digging into the snow. About 18" down (in the snow) I remember seeing beautiful pristine yellow flowers perfectly encapsulated in ice and how awesome it was that we had 6" of snow... on the side of the tree trunks!!!

Then, my memory goes to all of the older church goers that we struggled to keep warm and fed... hard times for adults in the Sequatchie Valley, fun times for kids!!!

From that day forward I was hooked! My wife and I are in the process of finding the next place to live (going way north)... regular snow storms are about the main deciding factor haha

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »
I don't remember too much about it, even though I was in 8th grade at the time. I remember the snowstorms of 1994 and 1998 much more vividly. I do remember that it started snowing early in the afternoon on Friday and there had been so much hype about the impending blizzard that school was immediately dismissed, even though snow didn't begin to accumulate until after the sun had set. I went to bed wondering if snow was ever going to accumulate, then woke up to one of the most incredible sights I had ever witnessed. After that, I don't remember much...except for the rapid melt and the flash flooding that resulted.

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 495
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
How much snow did Nashville receive in the storm?

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 537
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 06:27:33 PM »
How much snow did Nashville receive in the storm?
Only a few inches, heavy totals were south and east.

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 495
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 08:00:59 PM »
Only a few inches, heavy totals were south and east.

Well, a few inches in mid March is still pretty decent at least.

It looks like a lot of eastern TN had 15-20"+ while the back edge of accumulating snow was the easternmost MEG counties.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 06:54:05 AM »
Mt. Leconte had a whopping 60", while Mt. Mitchell in NC had 50". 

Here is a good write-up from the NWS.

http://www.weather.gov/ilm/Superstorm93
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:55:49 AM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 10:36:13 AM »
It was my senior year in high school and the start of spring break no less. I didn't have any travel plans that spring break, but plenty of my classmates had plans to drive interstates south through Alabama and Georgia to the beaches that Friday night and Saturday. I think it was a well-modeled storm for its day, since media was hyping it for some days ahead of time (the hype was warranted!). Actually, I recall people being interviewed on the streets around the region about the coming blizzard and "storm of the century" and they laughed and thought it ridiculous. 

Snow forecasts were fluctuating wildly. I remember the Arctic front passing a day or two before it started, and we had a bonafide "flizzard" in Nashville on Friday. It was just flurries and snow showers off and on that afternoon, and nothing was sticking. By Friday evening, I was hearing that it was getting bad in Alabama and I-65 was shut down at the state line.

I lived just west of Nashville, and we had a dusting by late night.  Unfortunately, I was coming down with the flu.  ::cough:: ::sick::

When I woke the next morning, I just remember gusty winds with powdery snow blowing around, but we only had a couple of inches. The news was amazing for areas south and east though. The news was covering the epic snows in Alabama and Georgia and East TN.

From my direct experience, it was me being sick with a glancing blow of the beast. Even though there wasn't much snow where I was, you could tell it was a powerful storm brushing us by with the gusty winds and powdery snow blowing around. But, it was amazing to witness on the news what was happening in areas more directly affected. Hikers were stranded in the Smokies, requiring rescue parties with some harrowing survival tales. I learned later about the stories of the spring breakers stranded on interstates in snow drifts on I-75 in Georgia.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:41:06 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
I was 4 when it happened. I remember running around the house the night it started snowing. It was snowing so hard you couldn’t see the houses across the street. Then that night we had 2 hours of thunder snow. That was actually pretty scary as a kid. I thought the world was ending. I made a thread with pictures from our house at the 20th anniversary of the storm on here, but the photos were all on photobucket, so they have been lost. I need to re-scan them.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »
I was a freshman at Lipscomb. Was supposed to head to the beach that Friday. Didn't go til Monday. Alabama looked deserted as I drove thru. Buddies who went ahead got stuck around Decatur Friday night. Took them all the next day to get to Montgomery in a four wheel drive truck. They had some great tales to tell of the adventure.

Advertisement