* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Spring 2018  (Read 49147 times)

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
Re: Spring 2018
« Reply #360 on: April 24, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »
The Great Smoky Mts. have spared this area from the heavy rain.  Only about .25 total so far, but much more has fallen just to our west in Knox county.
Thatís amazing. Up to 4.3Ē storm total here.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 862
« Reply #361 on: April 24, 2018, 02:00:23 PM »
It looks like we're finally going to get a pattern change this weekend into next week with some of the first signs of a potential robust severe threat for the Plains into parts of the South early to mid next week.

Obviously things may change, but there's a general agreement for ridging over the east coast and troughing out west.

At least the potential could be there as the trough out west migrates into the Plains.  With the Southeast Ridge finally flexing some muscle, there will be a strong southerly flow ahead of the trough with plenty of moisture and more heat than we've seen at any point this spring so far. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 356
« Reply #362 on: April 24, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »
My backyard has loved the rain. It's looking like a jungle. I Just mowed a week ago. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Post Merge: April 24, 2018, 04:40:56 PM
The carnivorous plants on the right are coming out of dormancy nicely and those in the left are tropical. The tentacles are a sticky tape typ trap and the pretty little flower have their feeding mechanism below ground and eat bugs in the dirt. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Don't know why it repeated a photo.

Post Merge: April 24, 2018, 04:43:38 PM
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:43:41 PM by WXHD, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly Ė raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »
Chris Baily had an interesting tidbit on his blog today. .  .

This has been a very, very odd severe weather season across the country. Even as cold as it has been in Kentucky, we have still had 22 tornadoes already, which is way above normal for this time period. Thatís 22 more tornadoes than Oklahoma and Kansas COMBINED. Thatís right, the heart of tornado alley has not had a single tornado and the month of April is a week from wrapping up. Thatís insane.

Kentuckyís 22 tornadoes are second only to Alabamaís 30.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 502
« Reply #364 on: April 24, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
Chris Baily had an interesting tidbit on his blog today. .  .

Incredible. Kentucky has witnessed at least two snowstorms this April. This APRIL. And Brownsville, TX, New Orleans, and Savannah, GA have all seen more snow than most of Oklahoma. There must be a massive dome over the southern plains. Who knows, maybe that's where the funding for Trump's wall went  ::rofl::

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1146
« Reply #365 on: April 24, 2018, 06:54:28 PM »
At least the potential could be there as the trough out west migrates into the Plains.  With the Southeast Ridge finally flexing some muscle, there will be a strong southerly flow ahead of the trough with plenty of moisture and more heat than we've seen at any point this spring so far.
may really begins the tornado season in the plains... and according to models... if correct, things should be picking up there... guess depending how strong the se ridge flexes... will determine if we get on some severe wx action down the road....
Come on severe wx season...

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: April 24, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
may really begins the tornado season in the plains... and according to models... if correct, things should be picking up there... guess depending how strong the se ridge flexes... will determine if we get on some severe wx action down the road....

Yeah, mid to late May is the scariest time for anybody living around the southern 1-44 corridor.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: April 25, 2018, 07:25:24 AM »
Having lived through two Super Outbreaks in April ('74 in northern KY & '11 in east TN), I feel like I'm over the hump once that month is passed.  May can certainly have a mean, stormy side, but she can't hold a candle to that wild girl April.   
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: April 25, 2018, 07:37:09 AM »
Having lived through two Super Outbreaks in April ('74 in northern KY & '11 in east TN), I feel like I'm over the hump once that month is passed.  May can certainly have a mean, stormy side, but she can't hold a candle to that wild girl April.
big outbreak 03. May was a big event ... pretty stormy pattern we got into for bout 2 weeks ....

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: April 25, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
big outbreak 03. May was a big event ... pretty stormy pattern we got into for bout 2 weeks ....

In year's like this one where spring is delayed, May could be the more active month.  However, if the SR builds, spring severe could skip the southeast altogether and become centered more in the Plains, which is normal for May, and especially June.  In this very unique and unusual spring, it's anyone's guess.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #370 on: April 25, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
I recall a memorable outbreak pretty late in May 1995. I think it was May 18 that year. Area-wise, it was a similar outbreak to April 16, 1998. Tornadoes hit the Madison area and around Lawrence County (where I believe there were fatalities). There were also some big hailers that day.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #371 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »
The first couple weeks of May can produce but as Jaycee said- the Bermuda Ridge should start to show up in some fashion pushing the jet stream north and west of here, leading to summer type storms or even at times a NW flow. Itís hard to believe hurricane season starts in about a month or so. The next winter thread should get going in about 2-3 months lol.

In the meantime, should be an extended period of highs in the 70ís and lows in the 50ís. No complaints here.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: April 25, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »
I recall a memorable outbreak pretty late in May 1995. I think it was May 18 that year. Area-wise, it was a similar outbreak to April 16, 1998. Tornadoes hit the Madison area and around Lawrence County (where I believe there were fatalities). There were also some big hailers that day.
may 25th 2011. The famous year for severe wx. We were under a high risk by the spc ... Bermuda ridge usually gets cranking early June.  In earnest 

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: April 25, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »
In the meantime, should be an extended period of highs in the 70ís and lows in the 50ís. No complaints here.

A perfect gem of a weekend coming up with awesome temperatures and sunny, blue skies.  I only wish we had more hours in a day to enjoy weekends like this one.   Gonna get up and out early.  Maybe take a ride in the old jeep on a back country road.  Ah, good times. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: April 25, 2018, 01:27:01 PM »

I remember the May '03 tornado in Jackson/Madison County. Our family was at the beach at the time, watching the radar on national news.

Advertisement