* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Spring 2018  (Read 49053 times)

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1146
Re: Spring 2018
« Reply #300 on: April 16, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
The next storm system taking a track across the Deep South with the warm sector over the Gulf and Florida--a typical track for 3 months ago, not late April.  Hard to get any thunderstorm action in a weather pattern like this.
its more like a miller a system... winter ? Crazy ... this would be a big winter event if it were winter lol
Come on severe wx season...

Offline cbrentv318

• Sunny
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #301 on: April 16, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »
its more like a miller a system... winter ? Crazy ... this would be a big winter event if it were winter lol
So another wet and cool weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: April 16, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »
So another wet and cool weekend?

affraid so....

Offline Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1066
« Reply #303 on: April 17, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »
We are so behind on our granddaughter’s soccer games this season.  Every Saturday they have been canceled because of rain.  We have to do 3 make games this week. I am so sick of this cold and wet crap! Mother Nature is definitely off her bipolar meds this year.! 🤬😡🤬

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #304 on: April 17, 2018, 06:49:57 AM »
Oh man . . .

I had visible damage to my shrubs and my Jane magnolia. I think my azaleas are ok because only the branches up against the bricks of my house had opened. Spent at least 6 hours below freezing. Blew the forecast low by 6 degrees.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: April 17, 2018, 06:58:40 AM »
Widespread freeze- official at Nashville (keeping in mind UHI effect) last hour at 30. I’m sure mid 20s are common in rural areas.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: April 17, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »
We are so behind on our granddaughter’s soccer games this season.  Every Saturday they have been canceled because of rain.  We have to do 3 make games this week. I am so sick of this cold and wet crap! Mother Nature is definitely off her bipolar meds this year.! 🤬😡🤬
guess what the 4 cast is for the weekend ... you got it ....

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 860
« Reply #307 on: April 17, 2018, 07:24:17 AM »
Oh man . . .

I had visible damage to my shrubs and my Jane magnolia. I think my azaleas are ok because only the branches up against the bricks of my house had opened. Spent at least 6 hours below freezing. Blew the forecast low by 6 degrees.

I was worried last night about it being colder than forecast as we we're already down to 35 by sunset.  However, clouds and wind lingered here overnight, and we remained at 35 until a few hours before sunrise when we dipped briefly to near freezing.

Hope the damage isn't too bad down your way.  Been a rough spring for green thumbs.  Another cold snap Thursday has us back in the mid 30's for lows--cold enough for frost. 

Post Merge: April 17, 2018, 07:36:01 AM
Per MRX on Thursday--looking colder.

The cold air advection behind the departing system [on Thursday] is rather
impressive for mid-April and have reduced high temperatures some on
Thursday and have leaned more towards the raw model guidance. Highs
on Thursday will range from the mid 50s to low 60s for most valley
locations.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:36:01 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
As forecast, temperatures are surging up- already up 25 degrees in a span of 3 hours on the wings of a southwesterly flow. It should already be feeling pleasant compared to the last few days. This morning's frost and freeze is a memory other than with any wilting vegetation that was nipped.  :'(

Post Merge: April 17, 2018, 11:13:45 AM

This Saturday currently looks nice (Pt. Sunny and 68). Showers enter the forecast Saturday night and Sunday, with temps still in the mid 60s.

We have another brief cooldown coming on Thursday-Friday this week.

Really hoping we're about to emerge from this persistently cool pattern soon.

Some folks refer to "cotton britches winter" in May- so, cool snaps can still happen. I'm not sure what "winter" we've been in- I guess an extended dogwood winter.

Here's a list of the "winters" of Tennessee spring: https://halfhillfarm.com/2013/05/13/the-five-little-winters-of-tennessee/

The way this spring has gone, I won't at all be surprised if we have a cool snap going into June (where we touch the 40s at night). Now, watch it be 100 degrees come June.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:13:45 AM by Thundersnow, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline wfrogge

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
As forecast, temperatures are surging up- already up 25 degrees in a span of 3 hours on the wings of a southwesterly flow. It should already be feeling pleasant compared to the last few days. This morning's frost and freeze is a memory other than with any wilting vegetation that was nipped.  :'(

Post Merge: April 17, 2018, 11:13:45 AM
This Saturday currently looks nice (Pt. Sunny and 68). Showers enter the forecast Saturday night and Sunday, with temps still in the mid 60s.

We have another brief cooldown coming on Thursday-Friday this week.

Really hoping we're about to emerge from this persistently cool pattern soon.

Some folks refer to "cotton britches winter" in May- so, cool snaps can still happen. I'm not sure what "winter" we've been in- I guess an extended dogwood winter.

Here's a list of the "winters" of Tennessee spring: https://halfhillfarm.com/2013/05/13/the-five-little-winters-of-tennessee/

The way this spring has gone, I won't at all be surprised if we have a cool snap going into June (where we touch the 40s at night). Now, watch it be 100 degrees come June.  ;)

Its still mid April so we are leaving Redbud and entering Dogwood winter no?

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »
I thought the winters (redbud, dogwood, blackberry) in spring were like the Indian summers in fall--they happened after a sustained period of warm (in spring) or cold (in fall).  If that's the case, we're still having just plain ole winter, no addendum needed. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: April 17, 2018, 12:25:40 PM »
yess

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #312 on: April 17, 2018, 01:46:04 PM »

According to that link, I suppose.

I think people call it based on what's in bloom at the time, not really what the calendar date is. So, those dates are mostly just an average guess.

I always thought of dogwoods being in bloom (and thus a "dogwood winter" cold snap) earlier than late April. If anything, the trees seem to be behind a bit compared to a lot of years because of the cooler March and April so far.

It probably varies across the state.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:50:00 PM by Thundersnow »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: April 17, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »
Judah Cohen (per Twitter):

Predicted ridging in the center of North of America will likely bring widespread above normal temperatures across much of the continent as the month transitions from April to May.

Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #314 on: April 17, 2018, 02:08:32 PM »
Crazy as it is with temperatures this morning undercutting forecast lows- afternoon highs are actually overachieving. Would you believe Nashville is showing a current temperature of 73. That's a 43-degree swing from the early morning temperature I saw reported. And, there's still time for the mercury to climb a degree or two more this afternoon. Wow.

Advertisement