* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Spring 2018  (Read 40126 times)

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346
Re: Spring 2018
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »
Little or no damage apparent to the trees around here.  Even the Japanese maples are fine.  Temperature is in no hurry to recover in the filtered sunshine.  Only up to 45 at 1 pm.

You got lucky. Two of mine appear to have been zapped  between Thursday and today's temps they are not happy. I'm hoping they recover quickly.

Post Merge: April 08, 2018, 02:30:48 PM
Looks like the next several days will be nice spring weather. Looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:30:48 PM by WXHD, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly Ė raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2018, 03:43:59 PM »
You got lucky. Two of mine appear to have been zapped  between Thursday and today's temps they are not happy. I'm hoping they recover quickly.

Post Merge: April 08, 2018, 02:30:48 PM
Looks like the next several days will be nice spring weather. Looking forward to it!

New foliage damage is usually superficial unless you had some extreme cold recently (well below 28).

I'm ready for some spring time temperatures, myself.  Before we know it, we'll be sweltering in 90's and high humidity.  Please, let's have some pleasant weather before that happens.  I want some porch swingin' weather.  :D
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »
It has been below freezing out here since about 10:00 PM last night.  We hovered around 27F for hours.  High clouds encroaching from the SW helped keep us from disaster ... but there will still be  foliage damage.
After surveying the yard, I'm surprised to find virtually no foliage damage, even though leaves were frozen stiff this morning.  Flowers on the quince, however, are a different story... but those bushes will rebloom in about a month.
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2018, 06:31:50 PM »
New foliage damage is usually superficial unless you had some extreme cold recently (well below 28).

I'm ready for some spring time temperatures, myself.  Before we know it, we'll be sweltering in 90's and high humidity.  Please, let's have some pleasant weather before that happens.  I want some porch swingin' weather.  :D

I know the damage likely doesn't extend into the branches. Japanese maples going into the secondary buds though can take quite the toll on the plant. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope all goes well. They're not porch dwellers our eye candy but rather, they are mature trees at 15ft or more. Their dappled shade and tall stature is something I very much enjoy when working in and enjoying my back yard. We hit a low if 27 and change both of the below freezing nights here. Your post has given me hope though. Thanks Jay!
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly Ė raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »
This has got to be one of the coldest springs in recent memory.  12Z GFS continues the cold shots with another one as late as 4/25.  I counted at least 2 more that may deliver some frost or freezing temperatures to the area.  Did a volcano erupt somewhere??? 

Post Merge: April 09, 2018, 01:19:49 PM
I know the damage likely doesn't extend into the branches. Japanese maples going into the secondary buds though can take quite the toll on the plant. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope all goes well. They're not porch dwellers our eye candy but rather, they are mature trees at 15ft or more. Their dappled shade and tall stature is something I very much enjoy when working in and enjoying my back yard. We hit a low if 27 and change both of the below freezing nights here. Your post has given me hope though. Thanks Jay!

I planted some Japanese maples for my folks in KY around 2010, and they had an extreme bout of cold several nights in a row a few years later in April.  The damage was pretty bad, and I had to prune the trees back severely.  But the lows were around 20-22 two nights in a row.  They just had another bout of that brand of cold this weekend, and Iím afraid the trees will probably need to be pruned again.  Not sure why, but these April cold snaps have been growing intense starting back in 2007.  Itís even worse when the freezing temperatures come on the heels of a February with temperatures in the 80ís that gets all the sap flowing up the tree.    >:(
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:19:49 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1104
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
This has got to be one of the coldest springs in recent memory.  12Z GFS continues the cold shots with another one as late as 4/25.  I counted at least 2 more that may deliver some frost or freezing temperatures to the area.  Did a volcano erupt somewhere??? 

Post Merge: April 09, 2018, 01:19:49 PM
I planted some Japanese maples for my folks in KY around 2010, and they had an extreme bout of cold several nights in a row a few years later in April.  The damage was pretty bad, and I had to prune the trees back severely.  But the lows were around 20-22 two nights in a row.  They just had another bout of that brand of cold this weekend, and Iím afraid the trees will probably need to be pruned again.  Not sure why, but these April cold snaps have been growing intense starting back in 2007.  Itís even worse when the freezing temperatures come on the heels of a February with temperatures in the 80ís that gets all the sap flowing up the tree.    >:(
good.... maybe we will get  snow on 4th July...
Be pretty wild....
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
good.... maybe we will get  snow on 4th July...
Be pretty wild....

Wild?  More like apocalyptic.   ::wow::
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #262 on: April 09, 2018, 06:52:00 PM »
Nearly 80 on Friday? What the **** is mother nature thinking? She's aware that it's APRIL, no? Warmth in April...offensive!

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1748
« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2018, 07:15:35 PM »
Nearly 80 on Friday? What the **** is mother nature thinking? She's aware that it's APRIL, no? Warmth in April...offensive!

My body is having a **** of a time trying to adjust to these temp changes. So I can go ahead and say I will be miserable come Saturday.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #264 on: April 10, 2018, 12:35:51 AM »
Most of the state will get very close to another freeze next Monday night/ Tuesday morning.

Ugh.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: April 10, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »
Down to 37 this morning with some light frost noted on the cars.  Another bout of frost possible tonight in the foothills with lows in the middle 30's. Then as schneitzeit noted, another frost/freeze possible early next week.  80 on Friday, followed by 50 on Monday. 

Is it just me, or does April seem far colder than February so far? 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #266 on: April 10, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »
Because it has been, by a wide margin.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 486
« Reply #267 on: April 10, 2018, 11:27:10 AM »
Down to 37 this morning with some light frost noted on the cars.  Another bout of frost possible tonight in the foothills with lows in the middle 30's. Then as schneitzeit noted, another frost/freeze possible early next week.  80 on Friday, followed by 50 on Monday. 

Is it just me, or does April seem far colder than February so far?
Depends on where you are. NW Tennessee was below normal the first half of February. The second half not so much. We ended up above normal but not by near as much as over your way.

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #268 on: April 10, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Hard to believe about this time 9 years ago, the Murfreesboro EF4 would begin it's jaunt across nearly the entirety of Rutherford County.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1104
« Reply #269 on: April 10, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
Cool start to spring sure hasnít slowed the pollen down at all...my eyes feel it today ...
Come on severe wx season...

Advertisement