* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Earthquake near Manila, AR  (Read 811 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
Earthquake near Manila, AR
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:45:22 AM »
From NWS Memphis FB page:

"An earthquake occurred at 5:16 AM, 4 miles southeast of Manila, Arkansas. Ground shook with Mercalli Shake Intensity of IV & magnitude 3.6!"

Comments section indicates it was felt in parts of W TN.

NMSZ letting us know she's still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:47:21 AM by Thundersnow »

Offline NismoWx

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Earthquake near Manila, AR
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
I've always had a fascination with the NMSZ. I did quite a few research papers on it in high school and eventually college. I hope she's not ramping up, but historically they came in clusters. Haven't even seen reports of aftershocks yet.

Offline Mister2011

• Sunny
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »
I have designed many bridge and high rise foundation systems in the Memphis area. The amount of seismic loading legally required to be considered is amazing/concerning. Then again, when you see the massive number of sand boil remnants all over the place, and the fact that bedrock is essentially nonexistient (very very very deep) in the Mississippi alluvial plain, you realize how much such a large region with massive population centers could lose nowadays.

From a geotechnical engineer's standput, a reawakening of the NMSZ is top 3 "downfall of the US scenarios" haha

Offline schneitzeit

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:51:29 AM »
I have designed many bridge and high rise foundation systems in the Memphis area. The amount of seismic loading legally required to be considered is amazing/concerning. Then again, when you see the massive number of sand boil remnants all over the place, and the fact that bedrock is essentially nonexistient (very very very deep) in the Mississippi alluvial plain, you realize how much such a large region with massive population centers could lose nowadays.

From a geotechnical engineer's standput, a reawakening of the NMSZ is top 3 "downfall of the US scenarios" haha

St. Louis and Memphis would be completely destroyed if we witnessed another 1811-12. Nashville, Louisville, Little Rock and Indianapolis would be heavily damaged. Scary to think of

Offline bugalou

• Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
St. Louis and Memphis would be completely destroyed if we witnessed another 1811-12. Nashville, Louisville, Little Rock and Indianapolis would be heavily damaged. Scary to think of
I can't speak for St Louis but Memphis has done quite a bit of earthquake retrofitting on major infrastructure and it is considered in modern building codes.  There would be major damage no doubt, but I think we are in much better shape here versus 20 years ago.

I have an earthquake policy on my house here as well. If you own property here I would recommend the addition investment with your home owners insurer. It doesn't have to be a major quake to shake just enough to crack your foundation and destroy the value of your home.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Offline memphishogfan

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
Live in Manila and the epicenter was in a buddies soybean field. I blame him for this as they drilled a well there in the spring. Everybody around here always worries about the big one and what it would do this area.  Sandy soil that sits on top of a large aquifer.  I have always heard stories that the city of Dell just east of us sits above a hollow area.

Offline Jilly

• Thunderstorm
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 04:36:06 PM »
2017 Great Central U.S. ShakeOut earthquake drill is this week -- 10:19 a.m. on October 19th
https://www.shakeout.org/centralus/
WA4CZD

Advertisement