* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Hurricane Nate  (Read 4724 times)

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 403
Re: Hurricane Nate
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
Getting hammered with very heavy rain now. We are actually running ahead of models right now. Approaching 2” and the heaviest is still a long ways out.
Edit: 2.4 as of noon. All of the streams in east brainerd are bankfull now. It’s lightened up a bit so hopefully they will fall back some before the next heavy band comes through.

Since it appears that the southern valley has already almost exceeded MRX's projections for rain in that area (2.75-3.00"), it would be prudent for them to issue a FFW down there with the heaviest rain still to arrive with Nate.

EDIT: Even though their graphics are obsolete, they do know about the heavy rain in the southern valley.  Yet no advisory or flash flood watch has been issued. 

The highest rainfall amounts so far have been across the southern
plateau and valley in Marion and Hamilton counties with totals of
1.5 to 2.5 inches there.
Elsewhere amounts were mostly from a few
hundredths northeast to over an inch in the south. Adjusted total
rainfall amounts through tonight to 1.5 inches northeast to
around 3 to 4 inches west and south...locally higher amounts to
around 6 inches where the bands form.

There is no harm in issuing a watch, even if flooding doesn't occur.  A watch covers that possibility.  If 6 inches of rain falls over a certain location, flooding is certainly possible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:44:08 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
Just had a huge wind gust knock out the power for a few minutes. Went to my weather station to check the speed, but the battery backup failed and reset the whole thing. Lost my running rain total for this event and the entire year. I think I was around 3.5” for this event and 53” on the year before it started.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 04:08:18 PM »
Been a light to moderate rain falling most of the day here, and barely a breeze.  Right now it's dead calm and humid as mid-summer outside. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Uncle Nasty

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
Back in town from PCB and we are getting a good soaking at the moment . Hopefully this keeps up. The wind gusts from Florida to Chattanooga were sporadic at best but the ones we did get were rocking the car. Saw several wrecks south of Atlanta to the north side of Atlanta. I have never understood the idiots that drive in the rain with no headlights on. Seriously,  it was approximately 30% of vehicles with no lights on during a moderate rain with some fog.

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »
Back in town from PCB and we are getting a good soaking at the moment . Hopefully this keeps up. The wind gusts from Florida to Chattanooga were sporadic at best but the ones we did get were rocking the car. Saw several wrecks south of Atlanta to the north side of Atlanta. I have never understood the idiots that drive in the rain with no headlights on. Seriously,  it was approximately 30% of vehicles with no lights on during a moderate rain with some fog.
A lot of those people have auto headlights. My wife’s car has auto headlights and auto wipers, but the 2 systems don’t talk to each other. So, if it is raining during the day, the lights won’t come on. I know this, so I turn them on manually, but most people probably assume auto lights = no input needed.
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/24 - 0.5" snow

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »
The sky at dusk tonight was just spooky.  The clouds and everything else were glowing a dull pink until dark and it was raining throughout.  Even though I know there isn't evidence for it in East TN the look made me think of tornadoes.

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »
Yeah i told my friend that too! At one point it was like a glow from the mist and moisture in the air and the lower fall sunset made the sky literally give a gloom! I  wouldnt call it spooky i thought it looked awesome
867-5309

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »
All in all, Nate just blessed this area with much needed rain.  I've only noticed an occasional stiff breeze now and then, but even that was infrequent here. 

Looks like more needed rain is possible over the next few days, before the dreaded Southeast Ridge returns.  Most long-range outlooks have us below normal in precipitation after this week, and possibly for a week or two thereafter.  Without Nate, and the surge of moisture he brought this week, drought issues would begin to spread quickly.  At least he delayed that problem for now.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
I think I wound up with around 4.10” in the bucket. The wind from Nate was not as strong as Irma, but we did get more rain. It feels horrible outside today. Like Florida in June.
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/24 - 0.5" snow

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
About an inch of rain fell IMBY.  I've learned in the 13 years living here that there is hardly no way to avoid downsloping when a hurricane approaches this part of Tennessee from the Gulf.  In other words, there is no way it could approach us without a southeast wind over the mountains, unless it came at us from the due west or north (that's not gonna happen), or it tracks just east of the Appalachians. 
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement