* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)  (Read 34034 times)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 900
Re: Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
« Reply #645 on: Yesterday at 05:12:11 PM »
Interesting fact shared by local meteorologist Todd Howell--today's high of 42 in Knoxville is the coldest high temperature in November in 3 years.  Basically, it takes us back to before the Super Nino of '16 torched the atmosphere.  That's a good sign for the upcoming winter!
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #646 on: Yesterday at 06:32:05 PM »
Interesting fact shared by local meteorologist Todd Howell--today's high of 42 in Knoxville is the coldest high temperature in November in 3 years.  Basically, it takes us back to before the Super Nino of '16 torched the atmosphere.  That's a good sign for the upcoming winter!

Unfortunately, 2018 is on track to finish as the Earth's 4th hottest year on record.

I'm thankful we caught a break from excessive heat this year. Europe had a record-setting hot summer.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #647 on: Yesterday at 08:26:22 PM »
Unfortunately, 2018 is on track to finish as the Earth's 4th hottest year on record.

I'm thankful we caught a break from excessive heat this year. Europe had a record-setting hot summer.

We are definitely in warm times.  Even in our colder winters a few years back, the eastern U.S. was one of the few cold places in the Northern Hemisphere.  Most other continents during those winters were warm compared to normal.  One has to wonder when the warmth will end.  In the meantime, here's hoping our part of the globe is one of the few cold places again this winter.   ::fingerscrossed::
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #648 on: Today at 08:35:12 PM »
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

The AO looks to be going in the tank to close out this month.  The NAO may even follow suit.  After a brief warmup after Thanksgiving, we may start Meteorological Winter on the cold side.   

Advertisement