* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Fall 2017  (Read 50527 times)

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 211
Re: Fall 2017
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2017, 03:36:07 PM »
I just seen a dust devil. Why is there always dust devils in the fall time more then other times of the year or is it just easier to see them with the leaves ect in the fall? I have seen some in the spring before too but its like in the fall i see them daily almost (if im watching outside a lot).
867-5309

Offline schneitzeit

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »
91 in Minneapolis right now! Is that not a record or close to it?
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
The ridge is well-defined on this vector map. Hoping it gets here by the end of September
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 434
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »
Not very often you see a QPF forecast like this for such a large area of the eastern U.S.:

NO rain at all for the next 7 days. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
91 in Minneapolis right now! Is that not a record or close to it?
(Attachment Link)
The ridge is well-defined on this vector map. Hoping it gets here by the end of September
(Attachment Link)

I look at their NWS website and Minneapolis has actually been 90F in October before. Although this is not common for them it isn't something that is historic or wow!! that has never happened before.

It should be noted that last fall had a similar warm spell in late September as well although hopefully that is the only similarity between this fall and last fall. 

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
While unlikely in middle and western Tennessee, I'm concerned about drought once again rearing its ugly head over here in parts of eastern Tennessee.  We haven't had a good rain since 9/6 (in the foothills area), and after a week of dry heat, the next front bringing the cool, dry air offers little hope of precipitation on current model runs.  The top soil is already becoming dry (I found out while planting a new dogwood), so after another week of no rain, we'll definitely be entering the "abnormally dry" phase of drought development.  We haven't had nearly the amount of rain here as other areas of eastern Tennessee, and completely missed any significant rain with Irma thanks to downsloping winds over the mountains.  Considering October is normally our driest month, that's not good news in the short term.  Hopefully, November will bring "normal" precipitation, unlike last year. 

Post Merge: September 23, 2017, 03:18:24 PM
12Z GFS has frost worthy low temperatures in parts of the eastern Tennessee valley by 10/1. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:18:24 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2017, 04:47:02 PM »
Omaha, NE reporting 93 degrees.

Harrison, NE, located in the NW corner of the state, reports 40 degrees.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 785
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
While unlikely in middle and western Tennessee, I'm concerned about drought once again rearing its ugly head over here in parts of eastern Tennessee.  We haven't had a good rain since 9/6 (in the foothills area), and after a week of dry heat, the next front bringing the cool, dry air offers little hope of precipitation on current model runs.  The top soil is already becoming dry (I found out while planting a new dogwood), so after another week of no rain, we'll definitely be entering the "abnormally dry" phase of drought development.  We haven't had nearly the amount of rain here as other areas of eastern Tennessee, and completely missed any significant rain with Irma thanks to downsloping winds over the mountains.  Considering October is normally our driest month, that's not good news in the short term.  Hopefully, November will bring "normal" precipitation, unlike last year. 

Post Merge: September 23, 2017, 03:18:24 PM
12Z GFS has frost worthy low temperatures in parts of the eastern Tennessee valley by 10/1.
were heading into the la nina enso stage... these tend to be on the drier side of things

Post Merge: September 24, 2017, 12:04:32 AM
gfs starting to look torchy again in the long term ::blowtorch::
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:04:32 AM by BRUCE, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2017, 08:06:00 AM »
Warmth I can deal with.  No rain for weeks--not so much.  Hickory trees have already started dropping leaves in earnest.  Dry leaves + dry ground = wildfires if we don't have a decent rain soon.

Post Merge: September 24, 2017, 04:43:23 PM
Looks like far western Tennessee received some scattered heavy storms today.  Drier air over here on the eastern side kept us almost completely cloud free.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:44:45 PM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2017, 05:07:22 PM »
We got under a torrential downpour in northern Knox County (Raccoon Valley area) on our way home from the game yesterday afternoon. It was incredibly localized...typical summer-time thunderstorm. I think we could all stand some rain at this point.

Unfortunately, it looks like the fall-like reprieve we have coming this week will be short-lived, with the heat making a return about a few days into October. I like warmth in its season, but it's time for summer to bid farewell and slink down to the tropics where it belongs...and stay there until May. The heat we have right now is not very enjoyable.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
...it's time for summer to bid farewell and slink down to the tropics where it belongs...and stay there until May. The heat we have right now is not very enjoyable.

::wow:: ::faint::

Ok, who are you, and what have you done with the real Crockett??   ;D
Henry David Thoreau

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »
I hate this weather. Bring the real fall with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 50s.
867-5309

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
Bad news as far as rain goes. . .

A cold front remains on track to move through the area
Thursday/Thursday night. This system looks less impressive with
each model run. Moisture appears to be quite limited and the
forecast will only have a few northern locations with POPs
approaching 20.

Post Merge: September 24, 2017, 08:16:47 PM
Did some hiking over the weekend and noticed that many of the trees are showing color even at the lower elevations, especially the sugar maples and tulip trees.  Then this evening, I heard a news blurb that colors in the Smokies are expected to peak early this year, perhaps as early as two weeks from now.  They didn't really explain why, but perhaps our cool snaps earlier this month sped things up when combined with our recent dryness.   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:16:47 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 785
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
I hate this weather. Bring the real fall with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 50s.
love this weather personally.... only regret i got is... i done shut my pool down for the year... hoping for mid to upper 80 s in october ::blowtorch:: ::fingerscrossed::
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2017, 09:26:55 PM »
::wow:: ::faint::

Ok, who are you, and what have you done with the real Crockett??   ;D

The best thing about Tennessee is the four distinctive seasons. It's time for summer to vamoose so fall can have its turn. Then, when next June rolls around, it can be 100 every day as far as I'm concerned.  :P

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2017, 05:44:46 AM »
The best thing about Tennessee is the four distinctive seasons. It's time for summer to vamoose so fall can have its turn. Then, when next June rolls around, it can be 100 every day as far as I'm concerned.  :P

All in good fun.  Best thing about this forum is we should be able to voice our own opinions, likes and dislikes about the weather without someone saying we are wrong in how we feel about it.  It's just weather, not world peace, discussed here. (At least in the weather threads). 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:46:49 AM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement