* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Fall 2017  (Read 69748 times)

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fall 2017
« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
Over 3 inches and still raining at my house. Was not expecting this.

KMEM pushing 3 inches- they got 1.5 inches in less than an hour earlier this morning. This was way underdone on modeling- all of them.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
Opposite happening on this side of the state--little rain developing despite models showing it last night.  Just a dark, cloudy day.  Home sick with a bad cold bug.  A nice downpour would alleviate some of the discomfort.   ::rain::

O well, its still peaceful with the windows open and watching the leaves slowly fall in the woods behind the house.  Time for more Nyquil.  ::sick::

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »
Tropical Storm Ophelia is now a thing. It's positioned near 30N and 40W and expected to become a hurricane in less that two days. It's been developing like a classic Cape Verde storm
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:02:53 AM by schneitzeit, Reason: Update »

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
Tropical Storm Ophelia is now a thing. It's positioned near 30N and 40W and expected to become a hurricane in less that two days. It's been developing like a classic Cape Verde storm

...except that she's way north (not really anywhere near the Cape Verde Islands).  Looks like she'll be heading off northeast below the Azores... interestingly in the general direction of Europe (Iberian Peninsula). It would be interesting if she eventually became a threat to Spain or Portugal, which I don't think happens too often.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2017, 01:33:41 PM »
Sky has really opened up here in the last 10 minutes as a pretty good cluster of heavy showers moves in from the mountains.  It's really pouring down, and taking some of the leaves with it. 

EDIT:
Heavy showers strengthened into thunderstorms as they passed.  Haven't heard the sound of thunder in over a month.  Quite nice on a lazy, rainy day.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:07:12 PM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2017, 02:52:46 PM »
...except that she's way north (not really anywhere near the Cape Verde Islands).  Looks like she'll be heading off northeast below the Azores... interestingly in the general direction of Europe (Iberian Peninsula). It would be interesting if she eventually became a threat to Spain or Portugal, which I don't think happens too often.

Yeah I thought it was close to that latitude but clearly not  ::rofl:: High pressure system going to steer it NE of its current location? That would be interesting if it threatened Iberia

Post Merge: October 10, 2017, 02:54:45 PM
Duh, I mixed up the Canary Islands with Cape Verde
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:54:45 PM by schneitzeit, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: October 10, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »
Had a good .67" of rain this afternoon.  Still humid as summer out, especially for October. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #172 on: October 10, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »
Cold front knocking on the door of the MS River next few hours with a line of thunderstorms that should develop. NAM has upper 40's by tomorrow morning then cloud cover holding temps in the mid 60's tomorrow. Should be a nice change!

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2017, 05:12:31 PM »
It will be an awesome change considering the dewpoint in Knoxville is currently 75F.  That is exceptionally high by July standards, much less mid-October. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516
« Reply #174 on: October 10, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »
Jonesboro shot up to 94 today and broke another record. All 4 climate sites yesterday broke records, including Memphis at 92.

Thunderstorm developed pretty much overhead about a half hour ago as the front neared. I was pretty surprised with the rain this morning!

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
Welcome to summer 2017 v2.0.  v1.0 was full of glitches, interruptions, hang-ups and reboots.  This version has all the bugs worked out.  Be warned, some "improved" versions stick around longer than we like.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
I can confirm that the front has arrived. Thank goodness. Today was miserable.

Offline Cody

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2017, 11:08:55 PM »
I can confirm that the front has arrived. Thank goodness. Today was miserable.
Front will be approaching here shortly. Ready for that wind out of the northwest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2017, 05:27:41 AM »
After today, summerlike 80's hang around until at least this weekend, when a "real" cold front moves in bringing much better fall weather with highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's.  It's about dang time!  I can finally start using the fire pit and clean up all the yard debris.  Hope the 80's go bye-bye for good.   
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »
Looks like only 80s Friday and Saturday here. Very fall like today. Forecast high of 65.

Advertisement