* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Fall 2017  (Read 69747 times)

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1100
Re: Fall 2017
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2017, 06:46:32 PM »
tornado warning for graves and calloway counties  in west ky... wasnt expecting that.... fwiw
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »
tornado warning for graves and calloway counties  in west ky... wasnt expecting that.... fwiw

Same cell that triggered the warning earlier in Henry and Weakley Counties, TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2017, 07:02:17 PM »
Same cell that triggered the warning earlier in Henry and Weakley Counties, TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wow  didnt even know that...  guess i was into the football game...

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2017, 08:30:53 PM »
And to think I just moved back from there. I have to say I may be looking to move again in 2 years if we don't actually start having a real fall/winter here. It seems as though the extended summer is now semi-permanent. I have to have real seasons and cold weather.
I agree - the climate patterns have left a lot to be desired as of late. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2017, 04:13:21 AM »
I agree - the climate patterns have left a lot to be desired as of late. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
yeah  our climate keeps on getting warmer slowly but surely...  lot peope are in denial over that ...we may never see the great winters like we did back in the 70 s.... :(

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »
yeah  our climate keeps on getting warmer slowly but surely...  lot peope are in denial over that ...we may never see the great winters like we did back in the 70 s.... :(

That's something I won't experience in my lifetime. My parents remember how much it used to snow in the 70s winters (especially in 1977-78). My grandparents recall times when it was common to have snow around New Year's. That seems so bizarre to me, as the chance of any snow between December and March is a big event.

I think Nashville recorded one of its largest 24-hour snowfalls during the January 2016 storm. And that was a very warm winter. We depend on cashing in with a once-in-a-while storm with all the right ingredients. With increasing global temperatures, more energy can enter the atmosphere thanks to warmer ocean temperatures, and maybe we'll see more large storms with some able to produce quite a bit of snowfall. Conversely, we will witness more severe weather outbreaks. In the future, I speculate our tornado season in Dixie Alley will be prime from January-March.

I wonder if people will look back at the winters of 09-10, 13-14 and 14-15 as unfathomably cold. I guess it's all relative.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 773
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2017, 07:54:11 AM »

I wonder if people will look back at the winters of 09-10, 13-14 and 14-15 as unfathomably cold. I guess it's all relative.

Yep, someday you'll be the old codger telling everyone on the forum, "I remember back in 20whatever, when it actually still snowed in Tennessee."  ;)
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »
Yep, someday you'll be the old codger telling everyone on the forum, "I remember back in 20whatever, when it actually still snowed in Tennessee."  ;)
and by then. Those  will be just considered dustings .... guess  beats nothing

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »
and by then. Those  will be just considered dustings .... guess  beats nothing

I would certainly be happy with multiple "ankle biter" snows over nothing at all.  Give me a repeat of '13-'14. At least if we have plenty of cold air available, chances are better than when half of North America is bathed in tropical-like warmth in January. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
I would certainly be happy with multiple "ankle biter" snows over nothing at all.  Give me a repeat of '13-'14. At least if we have plenty of cold air available, chances are better than when half of North America is bathed in tropical-like warmth in January.

I liked '14-'15 better. That was a very good winter here. Did y'all have a good winter storm in E TN in '13-'14? In '13-'14 all I remember here were several torturous high QPF events with temps hardly above freezing. The winter storm in early March 2014 was huge for parts of the Mid-South (up to 6" of sleet), and I got a decent event in Midtown Memphis, but a lot of southern Shelby got nil.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
I liked '14-'15 better. That was a very good winter here. Did y'all have a good winter storm in E TN in '13-'14? In '13-'14 all I remember here were several torturous high QPF events with temps hardly above freezing. The winter storm in early March 2014 was huge for parts of the Mid-South (up to 6" of sleet), and I got a decent event in Midtown Memphis, but a lot of southern Shelby got nil.

Yes, during '13-'14 eastern Tennessee received several "decent" snows.  That was the winter (January '14) that Atlanta was virtually shut down over 2 inches of snow.  I had 3 inches of Colorado-like powder snow during that one.  It was very cold for several weeks during that winter, and we had several 2-3 inch snow events here, and one 5 inch snow event.  Unfortunately, much of middle and western Tennessee was bypassed by the weak storm systems that either came from the north (clippers), or weak low's that moved up east of the Appalachians. 

But you are correct--'14-'15 was a better year for the state as a whole.  I believe that winter had a pretty epic two week stretch in February.  At least epic by current standards.   ;)
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »
15 was much better at my house. We had several events and even a couple that lasted. In 14 we did have several chances but it was frustrating except for sleet storm in March. We actually got 2.5 inches of rain at 26 degrees in 14.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2017, 07:18:06 AM »
The one thing that '13-'14 did have was plenty of cold air.  Air so frigid that snow laid across the deep south states of Alabama and Georgia, virtually paralyzing travel in both states for a few days.  And it was a very dry, powdery snow--something they are not used to.  I've heard that a dry snow is better to drive on, but after experiencing it that winter, I know better.  As it laid on the road and was compacted by cars driving over it, it turned into a solid sheet of pure ice that would not melt in the cold temperatures.  Give me a wet, slushy snow any day if I have to travel. 

Post Merge: October 09, 2017, 07:26:57 AM
Beautiful sunrise over English Mtn. this morning after a decent rain event (finally).

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:26:57 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
Memphis set a record today- or at least tied it at 90. Memphis NWS is at 92. sheesh 90's. What a coincidence- the old record was in 2010- an analog year.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:54 AM »
Over 3 inches and still raining at my house. Was not expecting this.

Advertisement