* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Fall 2017  (Read 46498 times)

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 403
Re: Fall 2017
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
In non-hurricane news they're predicting "near record lows" in Knoxville tonight and tomorrow night at 49 and 50 degrees respectively.  I'm loving the early taste of fall and chilly air.

This is so much better than last year.  I've got all the windows open, there is no choking smoke filling the air, and no need for the air conditioner.  Hope it lasts all month long. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 437
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
I don't know if I've ever seen such comfortable weather forecast this early in September here. Temps below 80, low humidity, and no chances of rain. We're frequently still in the 90s then.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 05:51:21 AM »
Absolutely perfect October morning with temps in the upper 40's.  O wait, it's early September.  My bad.

Anyone else catch a glimpse of the full moon?  It was super bright last night. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 174
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 06:03:45 AM »
Absolutely perfect October morning with temps in the upper 40's.  O wait, it's early September.  My bad.

Anyone else catch a glimpse of the full moon?  It was super bright last night.

It doesn't get much better than this!  Cool and crisp in the valley this morning, heavy dew, and that scent to the air that you only get in the fall.  I wonder which of our friends will have the first bonfire this weekend...

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 06:16:32 AM »
I don't know if I've ever seen such comfortable weather forecast this early in September here. Temps below 80, low humidity, and no chances of rain. We're frequently still in the 90s then.

Just like summer, the 2017 autumn is the complete opposite of last year--at least so far.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JHart

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 07:44:56 AM »
The temperature out here dropped briefly to 44.8F just before 5:00 AM after spending several hours in the upper 40's.  Remarkable for early September ...  ::cold::
Hire the left-handed --- its fun to watch them write.

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
It was a morning for the UHI effect to be evident in full force. Virtually the entire state outside of the cities was in the 40s. However, all four major cities remained in the 50s on the hourly reports.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »
A perfect October morning was followed by a perfect October day.  Just in September. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
Calm before the storm...

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 287
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 11:48:33 PM »
It was a crisp 47 here this morning. What lovely weather for early September.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »
It is a picture perfect fall-like morning.  Coffee, hammock swing, and rustling leaves in the cool morning breeze--couldn't be much better.   
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »
Could someone explain why the NOAA temperature outlooks are (usually) faulty? I could have sworn I checked the outlook for this month earlier in the summer and NOAA had the continental U.S. marked with above normal temps.

Anyways, here's the map now, which looks much closer to what we've experienced. Yet they've got the 1-month lead for OND with the same above normal temp coverage across the U.S. What's the reason for this?
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 04:31:11 AM »
Could someone explain why the NOAA temperature outlooks are (usually) faulty? I could have sworn I checked the outlook for this month earlier in the summer and NOAA had the continental U.S. marked with above normal temps.

Anyways, here's the map now, which looks much closer to what we've experienced. Yet they've got the 1-month lead for OND with the same above normal temp coverage across the U.S. What's the reason for this?
(Attachment Link)
because they already know that temps will be above average here this winter.... :D
Come on severe wx season...

Online BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 04:36:33 AM »
long range models indicating ::blowtorch::  see if it holds
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »
long range models indicating ::blowtorch::  see if it holds

Yep, after a long cooler than normal stretch we may flip to warmer for awhile.  But at least a  ::blowtorch:: in late September isn't as bad as a  ::blowtorch:: in July. 
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement