* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 27134 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #285 on: September 12, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
We picked up 0.61 inch of rain and experienced a few wind gusts close to 30 mph between 10:00 PM and midnight last night.  All in all, Irma managed to kick over a few potted plants and spook the cats. The ole' gray mare just ain't what she used to be.  Good riddance, honey.

WE WILL REBUILD

;)

Post Merge: September 12, 2017, 10:24:39 AM
I've been in touch today with a friend in St. Marys, GA, which is across the river from Jacksonville, FL.  Their waterfront is completely demolished.  The docks have been destroyed, boats are missing or grounded well inshore, even the commercial ferry that provides service to Cumberland Island National Seashore was broken up with parts of the vessel spread throughout downtown.  Keep in mind that this town is on the opposite coast from Irma and just north of Florida and still saw this much damage.  I don't think the media reports are really conveying just how much damage has been done by Irma or the scale of the rebuilding effort that is really ahead of us.  ::candle::

While early reports at landfall seemed that effects weren't as severe as feared, it does seem like a widespread damaging wind event did unfold and a pretty bad storm surge event on the southeast coast did cause worse effects in many areas.

Post Merge: September 12, 2017, 10:42:22 AM
Report- FEMA says 25% of homes on the Florida Keys have been destroyed:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/12/us/irma-damage-aftermath/index.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:42:22 AM by Thundersnow, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 434
« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
WE WILL REBUILD

;)

Now be honest--you kicked that chair over didn't you?   ;D ;)
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #287 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:31 PM »
I love how its sunny in that pic like even more of a joke about this storm for us. it completely fell apart. I was so sure that the models was under doing the precip until I heard about that dry pressure that was going to drain Irma of the moisture but I still didnt think it would do it to this degree. Still nether the less Irma was an impressive storm at least at one point haha
867-5309

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: September 12, 2017, 05:22:36 PM »
The only reason I can figure for Irma's quick demise compared to other hurricanes is she moved into an environment completely hostile to a tropical system.  Cool, dry and very stable air covered most of the eastern U.S., including the southeast.  Once over land, she quickly ran out of any sort of fuel a hurricane needs to thrive--moisture, heat, & instability.   All that was left was the big slug of moisture that she brought with her, but that quickly rained itself out, especially since a big part of her circulation ran into and through the Southern Appalachians.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:13 PM »
I live in the penthouse of my apt (about 150 ft above ground) and the winds were howling last night. Overall a complete bust for east TN compared to what we were expecting 5 days in advance. Even more of a bust than a winter system producing .5" of snow compared to a 3" GFS prediction  ::rofl::

Which is fine... the less I have to walk to class and work in bad weather, the happier I am

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2017, 03:27:25 PM »
Irma's festering corpse continues to drop light rain and drizzle over the area. This weekend looks to feel like summer again in the mid 80s.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »
Florida Keys are re-opening to residents today.  It will take a long time for that area hit by Irma to get back to normal. Its reported that 90% of the homes and businesses are damaged or destroyed, and considering the Key's economy is tourism based, its going to be especially hard on businesses there.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline DocB

• TNWX Supporter
  • Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 185
« Reply #292 on: September 19, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
NOAA has posted all it's aerial photos of Irma, from the length of the Keys and impacted areas along the Florida west coast.

NOAA has an online interactive viewer where you can review the images snapped on multiple passes through the Keys; you can also toggle back to baseline imagery captured before Irma’s arrival to contrast the scenery before and after impact.

Advertisement