* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 21560 times)

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 403
Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #330 on: September 01, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
Didn't really expect a lot with Harvey in my area, as downsloping won the day with a southeast wind flow over the mountains.  Most areas in Sevier, Jefferson and Cocke counties rec'd about .25-.35" through the whole event.  I recorded .22".  Go just a little west into Knox county (out of the Smokies rain shadow) and quite a bit more fell (.50-.90"). Those totals in Knox do not include what fell this morning.  Over here, just a few light showers were noted after daybreak.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:57:07 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline justinmundie

• Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #331 on: September 01, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
Of course they are gouging.  Gas is up over .30 in Memphis since yesterday. 

Why would Houston refinery's shutting down affect the mid south gas supply? Valero in Memphis refines almost of the gas used in the area, and their crude is largely barged in, and some other comes via pipeline.

Because supply in the united states is lower, and they are having to compete with areas that need gas, who are willing to pay more.

Markets are pretty efficient. Price gouging is how markets make sure to allocate resources to the areas that need them most. If I'm a supplier in Memphis, and I've got gas, and someone is willing to pay me a much higher return to get that gas to Texas, rather than sell it in Memphis, I'm going to do that.

If people don't "gouge" prices, then you run out of stuff. Price is how you slow down demand.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #332 on: September 01, 2017, 12:57:49 PM »
Ended up just north of 7 inches of rain overnight. We are soggy and short of some of the usual roads flooding, it was relatively painless. Harvey while extra tropical, was basically a tropical storm like system. I was more than impressed with the hi res Nam and it's validation of 60mph wind gusts which added to the driving rain.

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #333 on: September 04, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »
It shows I got around 4 inchs. It didnt feel like I got that much but I mean all the areas around me did too so I guess its accurate.
I do know that after the main rains we had a solid day of heavy mist/drizzle that soaked the ground good.
867-5309

Advertisement