* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 25671 times)

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 315
Re: Tropical Storm Harvey
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
http://kris.images.worldnow.com/images/6454561_G.jpg

This is Calhoun County, TX in the Matagorda area. With a CAT 3 surge most of this county is under water.

That's impressive.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 537
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »
Looks like to me it would be a next Thursday-Friday threat to Tennessee correct?
Too early to tell.

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 446
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »
Looks like to me it would be a next Thursday-Friday threat to Tennessee correct?
That's the big question. IF the Euro verifies that would be correct. Models are all over the place with what this thing is gonna do after land fall. The Euro has been consistent but is it correct?

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
That 12z euro - 2 landfalls as a major hurricane. One in Texas and the other in Louisiana

Offline Vols1

• Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
That would be insane

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1710
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 05:23:50 AM »
Pressure has fallen into the 950's. Latest pass is showing 950 mb. Harvey is strengthening again. He is still forecast to hit Cat 3 status later today.

Given the rainfall forecast, this will probably be the last time we see Harvey used by the NHC.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 696
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 06:07:08 AM »
I don't believe I've ever seen these colors used on this map before.  Not good. . .

Current GFS now shows what's left of Harvey getting picked up by a trough/front and shooting northeast along the Mississippi Valley.  But that doesn't happen until the end of next week.  I really feel for anyone living along the Texas Gulf Coast. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:14:47 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »
From the text of the FFW in coastal TX:

Periods of heavy rainfall
  are expected from Harvey through at least Monday morning, and
  rainfall totals of 15 to 25 inches and isolated amounts up to 35
  inches are anticipated.

You read that... isolated amounts up to 35 inches of rain.

For perspective, that's twice the rainfall of the highest amounts recorded in the 2010 floods.

I'm not sure we truly grasp how bad this could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 214
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »
I hope that everybody is taking the evacuation orders and recommendations seriously.  This kind of flooding has the potential to strand thousands of people that would then have to be rescued, putting more people in danger for the rescue operations.  Just out of the difference in population density I don't think we'll see the kind of calamity we did following Katrina, but the distributed nature of the population might actually make recovery efforts even more difficult.

On a more local and personal note we're filling all our vehicles up today and I may fill up my gas cans too.  Again, I don't think we'll see the kind of impact on gasoline that we did with Katrina, but some Gulf platforms have already shut down and I think we can expect temporary price spikes even if we don't encounter shortage situations.

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 07:38:30 AM »
Thanks to the political circus in the country right now there hasn been nearly enough coverage of this so far. Hopefully the people in TX are taking it seriously. A strengthening hurricane is a completely different animal at landfall to a weakening hurricane of similar intensity.

Oh and BTW the NAM has max rainfall at nearly 70". That's not to be taken at face value, but it is extremely concerning.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:41:56 AM by dwagner88 »
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 696
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »
Thanks to the political circus in the country right now there hasn been nearly enough coverage of this so far.

Too true--and very bothersome.  Hopefully, local media and news sources in Texas are doing a better job than national & cable news.  I no longer have The Weather Channel (downsized my cable bill), so hopefully they are covering it 24/7--IF people are paying attention.  I have a feeling many are going to be caught totally off guard.   
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 07:56:11 AM »
Thanks to the political circus in the country right now there hasn been nearly enough coverage of this so far. Hopefully the people in TX are taking it seriously. A strengthening hurricane is a completely different animal at landfall to a weakening hurricane of similar intensity.

Oh and BTW the NAM has max rainfall at nearly 70". That's not to be taken at face value, but it is extremely concerning.

The "Like" button doesn't seem appropriate here, so how about an "I agree and it's depressing" button?  I really wonder how many people nationally who aren't interested in the weather specifically even know that anything is happening.  When I hear hurricane experts saying words like "unprecedented" and "Katrina" I get very concerned.

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1710
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 08:07:30 AM »
Sadly, someone will get into distress and say "it hit without warning". Happens every time. TWC is doing a great job with coverage. In the past DirectTV has put local stations on that are in the path of tropical systems.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »
I'm keeping TWC on and there are now flood watches out for Austin and San Antonio.  Houston has always been in the 1-2 foot rainfall forecast, but now they're talking about the possibility of devastating, though lower, rainfall rates in those other two large cities.  If this verifies it could be one of the biggest hurricane impacts in history with multiple major metropolitan areas simultaneously suffering major flooding.  The scope of this event is mind boggling, particularly when there was very little indication of such a catastrophic event this time last week.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 08:24:59 AM »
Sadly, someone will get into distress and say "it hit without warning". Happens every time. TWC is doing a great job with coverage. In the past DirectTV has put local stations on that are in the path of tropical systems.

I think they will do a severe weather mix similar where they go in and out of various stations similar to what they did with Matthew.  I may be wrong.

Post Merge: August 25, 2017, 08:27:10 AM
I'm keeping TWC on and there are now flood watches out for Austin and San Antonio.  Houston has always been in the 1-2 foot rainfall forecast, but now they're talking about the possibility of devastating, though lower, rainfall rates in those other two large cities.  If this verifies it could be one of the biggest hurricane impacts in history with multiple major metropolitan areas simultaneously suffering major flooding.  The scope of this event is mind boggling, particularly when there was very little indication of such a catastrophic event this time last week.

Austin and San Antonio are in a forecasting nightmare. They are right on the dividing line between maybe 1-3 inches and 12+ inches and devasting flooding. There is expected to be a sharp cutoff between those extreme amounts and just like maybe 3 inches or less. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:27:10 AM by StormNine, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

* Recent Posts

Advertisement