* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Winter 2017-18  (Read 51929 times)

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 785
Re: Winter 2017-18
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Went back and added Dec-Jan-Feb of those years to the stats which shows lots of variability- in some cases Dec 84- Jan 85 was incredibly volatile.
yeah... december 31st 1984  newyears eve night... we had a severe outbreak... tornado warnings in area... that was the big system that actually changed the pattern to a brutal winter....
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
yeah... december 31st 1984  newyears eve night... we had a severe outbreak... tornado warnings in area... that was the big system that actually changed the pattern to a brutal winter....

There was actually a strat  warming event that eventually coincided with the entire polar vortex coming down mid month. The entire state was below 0 and Knoxville went to -24. Even after the cold continued until mid February. After that it warmed up and we never went below 32 again.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »

There was actually a strat  warming event that eventually coincided with the entire polar vortex coming down mid month. The entire state was below 0 and Knoxville went to -24. Even after the cold continued until mid February. After that it warmed up and we never went below 32 again.

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2017, 12:13:58 AM »
I remember the set up well. I remember the severe weather out in front of it. I was 20 years old and man that was a great beer drinking sled riding winter. I remember being on Riverside Dr. in downtown Clarksville with a friend in his 4 wheel drive. We had about 8 inches of snow on the ground and it was snowing quarter size flakes. There was nobody out in Clarksville, not another vehicle on the road. We stopped in the middle of town and got out and walked around in the middle of the intersection in downtown Clarksville. It was so quiet, no tracks on the road but ours. It was kind of a surreal moment, I wish we would have had a camera for pictures. We were there 15 minutes and it was like we were the only ones in Clarksville. I will never forget that winter. LOL!!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:24:16 AM by Clarksville Snowman »

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 434
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2017, 07:15:00 AM »
Being as it was in the mid 1980's, there were multiple surprise events that winter as well.  I remember one in particular during the big cold wave event in January.  The Arctic front bringing the bitter cold air was originally forecast to only have an inch or two of snow accompany it.  However, late in the afternoon a low pressure developed along the front in Oklahoma, causing the front to slow and moisture to overrun the boundary.  We ended up with 6 inches of snow, and thanks to the cold and more snow to follow, we had snow on the ground for nearly 3 weeks straight.  Longest I've personally ever seen that happen.

I don't mean to drone on and on about '85.  Guess this ole fella can't help but wax nostalgic when thinking about it. 

Post Merge: October 13, 2017, 07:40:30 AM
On a different note--snow cover has rapidly increased in parts of Asia, and has also begun to spread over parts of northern North America. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:40:30 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »
The rain and storms around New Years of 85 had the backwater out. We were duck hunting the morning of the first big snow. It snowed about 6 inches and temps crashed. The snow created 6 inches of slush on the water and it froze as the day went on. That boat ride took forever to get back to the truck. Lots of ducks died in the making of this story.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »

Latest CFS2 precip forecast for winter

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2017, 09:59:43 AM »

That is good news.  I was concerned about drought with La Nina making an appearance.  Furthermore, can't have snow without moisture. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 785
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »

too bad it's showing temps above normal ... guess we can't have both
Come on severe wx season...

Offline snowdog

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »

Thereís the CFS2 temps- thatís not a torch by any means especially given warm bias. Should be the potential for some cold outbreaks in this scenario.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »
Looks a lot better than what the CFS2 did at this point in 13-14 and 14-15.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »

Thereís the CFS2 temps- thatís not a torch by any means especially given warm bias. Should be the potential for some cold outbreaks in this scenario.

That's for sure with the well-below normal temperatures lurking just over the U.S.-Canadian border.  Lots of potential there with any amount of Greenland blocking.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »
I hope against hope that we have a good Winter, and it starts SOON

Between the Big Orange football season, and the continued political circus that never ends, I need a distraction.  There is no drink strong enough to help at this point. . .   ::cliff::
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
I hope against hope that we have a good Winter, and it starts SOON

Between the Big Orange football season, and the continued political circus that never ends, I need a distraction.  There is no drink strong enough to help at this point. . .   ::cliff::
Sure there is.

Advertisement