* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Winter 2017-18  (Read 31065 times)

Offline Hunter_McDonald

• Thunderstorm
  • Likes Given: 75
Re: Winter 2017-18
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »
Where do you all go to look at the history of these winter seasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 403
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
Where do you all go to look at the history of these winter seasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of it is strictly from memory.  But for those of us in our 40's, memory isn't quite as reliable as it used to be.   ;)
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 12:14:47 AM »
A lot of it is strictly from memory.  But for those of us in our 40's, memory isn't quite as reliable as it used to be.   ;)

You never forget the great ones! '93, '94 and '98 (the Big Three winter storms of my younger years) are etched in my memory forever. I didn't like the sheer devastation of the '98 dynamic cooling storm but what an awesome thing it was to experience.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 06:28:50 AM »
You never forget the great ones! '93, '94 and '98 (the Big Three winter storms of my younger years) are etched in my memory forever. I didn't like the sheer devastation of the '98 dynamic cooling storm but what an awesome thing it was to experience.

Very true.  I still lived in southeast KY in '98, and the 12-14 inches of very heavy, wet snow that fell during that snowstorm brought down as many pine trees as any ice storm could have.   Then there was the '93 Blizzard, followed up by an epic winter of 93-94.  Good, good times. 

Of course, 95-96 was an awesome winter as well, at least in Kentucky.   93-94 & 95-96 had to be the two top winters of the 90's for the Bluegrass state. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2017, 11:41:10 PM »
With the potential for a weak La-Nina or cool neutral, I kinda see 17-18 to be more similar to 2000-01 or 2008-09, but a lot will depend on whether we can obtain ridging in or around the West Coast area like we had this summer and if we can finally get a wintertime -NAO or -AO.

I still had my pacifier in 2001, but I do remember the winter of 2008-2009 fairly well. Nashville got a surprise snowstorm in December and then another one to close out the winter in March of 2009. I also remember it being pretty cold that winter; our county delayed a school day due to below zero temps

Online Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 287
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2017, 11:52:24 PM »
**** I'm old  ::rofl::

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 04:35:18 AM »
mean you werent using your pacifier in 2001 dyer...?  dont worry... i wasnt either :)... does look like the ridge starts to flatten out out west in the near future... bound to break down soon.... just in time for winter... watch ;)
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »

It's always better than the alternative.   ;D
Henry David Thoreau

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2017, 01:06:28 PM »
Borrowed this from Chris Bailey's blog.  Euro snowfall from now through October.  As he said, if this pans out, we'll have a very healthy snowpack in Canada by Halloween.  Boo! ::evillaugh::

Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »
Montana to Iowa going be the sweet spot this winter.... affraid  the southeast ridge going flex its muscles this winter... .
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Montana to Iowa going be the sweet spot this winter.... affraid  the southeast ridge going flex its muscles this winter... .
IF there's a SE ridge in a weak La Nina- that will probably be why we have an increased chance of winter weather here- think overrunning events and arctic air that makes a run southward- which it will.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
Considering we had a mega southeast ridge from the summer of 2016 through last winter/early spring, would make it somewhat less likely we'll see a repeat of a strong eastern ridge this winter.  The SR (Bermuda high) was almost a no-show this summer.  We are not in the same pattern as last winter. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 204
Winter 2017-18
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2017, 12:27:54 PM »
I think he was referring to some comments on southern weather forum where the updated JMA showed a central US trough and overall milder SE. That's a definite Nina pattern. As long as it's not a strong La Niņa, which most are not showing,  it's a really volatile pattern not unlike some of the analogs Stephen mentioned earlier. Best example is 84-85 where December was an unreal torch followed by 6 weeks of brutal winter. While I'm not banking on 6 weeks would not be surprised to see wild swings in weather in TN at least.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:27:09 PM by Curt »

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2017, 05:49:09 PM »
While I'm not banking on 6 weeks would not be surprised to see wild swings in weather in TN at least.

I'll take it.  Wild swings, at least, aren't dullsville like last winter.  Heck, after last year, I'll take a winter like '14-'15 when there was no winter around here until mid-February, but that last two weeks of February more than made up for it.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 11:56:45 PM »
Wild swings can be a good thing in Tennessee. Weak SE ridge coupled with a weak Nina could spell overrunning event opportunities. Things could be looking a lot worse at this point, a long ways to go but I like the possibilities so far for some chances at winter weather at least. ::fingerscrossed:: ::popcorn:: ::snowman::

Advertisement