* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Winter 2017-18  (Read 276799 times)

Offline Michael

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
Re: Winter 2017-18
« Reply #3045 on: April 04, 2018, 05:30:58 PM »
Well, the NAM was exciting for the 12z run.
Now it's gone. lol

This keeps shifting north. I think our chances have all but gone for snow on this one.
Probably time to turn out the lights on this winter after Saturday (low% anything good will happen Fri/Sat).

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #3046 on: April 04, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »
Well, the NAM was exciting for the 12z run.
Now it's gone. lol

This keeps shifting north. I think our chances have all but gone for snow on this one.
Probably time to turn out the lights on this winter after Saturday (low% anything good will happen Fri/Sat).

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Michael

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #3047 on: April 05, 2018, 07:31:54 AM »

If these models keep sliding the rain/snow line south...us Northern Valley folk may see some wintry weather. Doubtful anything sticks. But who knows. Definitely the last “snow watching” for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #3048 on: April 05, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
If these models keep sliding the rain/snow line south...us Northern Valley folk may see some wintry weather. Doubtful anything sticks. But who knows. Definitely the last “snow watching” for the season.

This morning's NAM showing a good hit of snow for southeast KY, not that they want it at this point.  Most farmers up there are getting concerned.  With the cold and the continuous rain, they are not able to plow their fields to get ready for spring planting. Worst spring for farmers in recent memory up there.   

Post Merge: April 05, 2018, 09:38:42 AM
Winter storm watches hoisted for parts of KY for 3-6" of heavy, wet snow.  Winter won't die. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:38:42 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3049 on: April 05, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
People were giving winter a grade.

I'm not even going to give this winter a grade. This winter is a high school dropout meth addict who went to juvenile detention weeks ago- no doubt a fixture of the prison system for years to come. After all the grades had been tallied up and report cards sent home to the good kids, this winter got out on probation and has decided to hang out at the school- vandalizing teachers' classrooms and breaking into the championship trophy cases of both the football team and the band and breaking all the trophies. This winter is a reprobate and a menace to society.

Enough already.  >:D

Offline Drifter49

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3050 on: April 05, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »
People were giving winter a grade.

I'm not even going to give this winter a grade. This winter is a high school dropout meth addict who went to juvenile detention weeks ago- no doubt a fixture of the prison system for years to come. After all the grades had been tallied up and report cards sent home to the good kids, this winter got out on probation and has decided to hang out at the school- vandalizing teachers' classrooms and breaking into the championship trophy cases of both the football team and the band and breaking all the trophies. This winter is a reprobate and a menace to society.

Enough already.  >:D

I was leaning towards the kids eating tide pods and snorting condoms lol

To enjoy things in life that are good, you first must endure things that suck!
Bring on the snow baby!!!

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #3051 on: April 08, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #3052 on: April 08, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
And so we've reached the end of the winter that never was, but wouldn't go away. Like a bad ex

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #3053 on: April 08, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »
And so we've reached the end of the winter that never was, but wouldn't go away. Like a bad ex

If you don't want to experience the bad x thing, stick with cats and dogs. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #3054 on: April 08, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
If you don't want to experience the bad x thing, stick with cats and dogs.

We went to the Nashville Humane Society yesterday and added a little more love to our home. While yesterday's trip was a little spur of the moment, the discussion, want and decision were settled a while ago. Anywho, a happier and fuller home awaits me everyday!
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly – raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #3055 on: April 11, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
I think we can finally put this thread to bed after the next cold shot.  GFS says the deep reservoir of cold in Canada is shrinking back toward the pole toward month's end. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3056 on: April 11, 2018, 12:38:32 PM »
I just got my March energy report from my nest thermostat. I used 10 hours more heating in March than I did in February. Not sure that’s ever happened before.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #3057 on: April 11, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »
I just got my March energy report from my nest thermostat. I used 10 hours more heating in March than I did in February. Not sure that’s ever happened before.

Not received my monthly report yet. We live the best in our home though. The eco setting has been running strong for 10 days.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly – raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline RobD

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #3058 on: April 11, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »

You get an energy report from your Nest?! I didn't know they do that. I've been considering upgrading both of our thermostats.

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #3059 on: April 11, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »
You get an energy report from your Nest?! I didn't know they do that. I've been considering upgrading both of our thermostats.

I have 4.5hrs of energy usage in the last 10 days. Should be getting my monthly report tomorrow. My heating bill for all of February was $65. Last year(before the Nest) it was over $200. I am a convert. Plus, I can control it when I am away. It was a gift if I were purchasing myself I may go for the Honeywell version. Though, the Nest is sleek! Installing took about 20mins. I def recommend it is a technological advancement in home climate control.

Post Merge: April 11, 2018, 06:03:47 PM
My monthly Nest report came in moments after my first post. The energy I used, not including the fan for circulation, amounted to 14hrs of energy use. That would be the time my unit spent either cooling or heating my home. As I mentioned earlier my February gas bill was $65 and that included us using our gas fireplace to our hearts conent. My energy usage for February was 22hrs(excluding gas fireplace but, gas bill speaks to that). A Nest or similar smart thermostat will pay for itself in a year or two. Also, our home was built in 1978 it has blown in insulation in the attic but the windows are original to the home.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:06:22 PM by WXHD »

Advertisement