* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Winter 2017-18  (Read 313162 times)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 907
Re: Winter 2017-18
« Reply #2025 on: January 19, 2018, 06:25:38 AM »
Got down to 12 this morning--so far.  Enough snow pack left to dip below guidance in the mid-teens.  However, today will be the final day with snow on the ground here with highs expected in the mid-40's. 

Everyone better secure their garbage cans before the next system.

Monday evening...a mid level jet moves through the area long with
the front...with winds gusting 30 to 40 mph.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:31:44 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Coach B

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 193
« Reply #2026 on: January 19, 2018, 07:46:49 AM »
Got down to 12 this morning--so far.  Enough snow pack left to dip below guidance in the mid-teens. 

Quite the temp contrast this morning. I was at 25 on the hill but a half mile away headed out the hollow on the way to work the car thermometer was down to 13!

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #2027 on: January 19, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »
All this cold weather is freezing up the Cumberland River and Cumberland Falls in Kentucky.

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2028 on: January 19, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
Mid Winter
Memphis- 2.5
NWS Memphis- 3.8
Nashville 2.2
Knoxville 1.7
Chatt 0.3
Tri Cities 3.4

Cant confirm specific amounts but much of western and northwestern middle are higher than the station amounts listed. I got 2 from the first or and 4 from the second. The area around LBL is at least at one foot.

Looking ahead- Euro weeklies and CFS both warm us up for the next 15 days- and its not torch. After that they both move back to colder with the MJO rounding the cold phases in the 2nd week of Feb into March. Strat warming looks to occur as well- so while I wouldn't expect long durations of bitter cold- I would think colder and more chances for possible winter weather are at least on the table. So far, this winter is working out exactly like I would expect a weak-mod east based La Nina with a moderately negative QBO.

Meanwhile- the other good news- the northern plains are going to do anything but torch. Snowy times ahead for those folks so snow cover wont be lost up there.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:15:47 PM by Curt »

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #2029 on: January 19, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »
Good to hear the northern plains will be getting needed snow.  They continue in a long-term drought.  And I also noticed while we have our break from the cold, it begins to gather and deepen in Alaska and the northwestern part of the North America.  It could be the reservoir we draw from later in February.

On a different note, this dry, powdery snow has more staying power than I thought.  Despite getting to 46 today, wherever the Sun couldn't directly touch still has a decent layer of snow at days end. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:25:53 PM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Clarksville Snowman

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #2030 on: January 19, 2018, 05:51:02 PM »
Mid Winter
Memphis- 2.5
NWS Memphis- 3.8
Nashville 2.2
Knoxville 1.7
Chatt 0.3
Tri Cities 3.4

Cant confirm specific amounts but much of western and northwestern middle are higher than the station amounts listed. I got 2 from the first or and 4 from the second. The area around LBL is at least at one foot.

Looking ahead- Euro weeklies and CFS both warm us up for the next 15 days- and its not torch. After that they both move back to colder with the MJO rounding the cold phases in the 2nd week of Feb into March. Strat warming looks to occur as well- so while I wouldn't expect long durations of bitter cold- I would think colder and more chances for possible winter weather are at least on the table. So far, this winter is working out exactly like I would expect a weak-mod east based La Nina with a moderately negative QBO.

Meanwhile- the other good news- the northern plains are going to do anything but torch. Snowy times ahead for those folks so snow cover wont be lost up there.
I can confirm from both storms Montgomery Counties total for the year ranges from 7-9 inches. No lower than 6 anywhere I can safely say for the entire county. Here in Woodlawn we are at 7.7 of snow and .77 inches of sleet for the year. We are on a good pace so far no doubt! ::popcorn:: ::snowman::
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:24:36 PM by Clarksville Snowman »

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 505
« Reply #2031 on: January 19, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »
Mid Winter
Memphis- 2.5
NWS Memphis- 3.8
Nashville 2.2
Knoxville 1.7
Chatt 0.3
Tri Cities 3.4

At least 1 inch of sleet. Actually 1.5 on roads and a a total of 9 inches of snow. 10 days not above freezing. That's hard to beat for a mid winter report around these parts.

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #2032 on: January 19, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »
Mid Winter
Memphis- 2.5
NWS Memphis- 3.8
Nashville 2.2
Knoxville 1.7
Chatt 0.3
Tri Cities 3.4

Based on that, I do believe the risk for a March Snow system is a bit higher than average.   

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #2033 on: January 20, 2018, 09:18:48 AM »
Mid Winter
Memphis- 2.5
NWS Memphis- 3.8
Nashville 2.2
Knoxville 1.7
Chatt 0.3
Tri Cities 3.4

It just hit 89 below zero in Siberia.  Looks like there may be some cross-polar flow during the thaw here which would bring the coldest temp anomalies of the season over to our side of the globe by about the second week of February.

I think we may have a period of bitter cold to go. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 233
« Reply #2034 on: January 20, 2018, 10:25:11 AM »
Feels like spring today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline schneitzeit

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 550
« Reply #2035 on: January 20, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
It just hit 89 below zero in Siberia.  Looks like there may be some cross-polar flow during the thaw here which would bring the coldest temp anomalies of the season over to our side of the globe by about the second week of February.

I think we may have a period of bitter cold to go. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That could give February 2015 some competition. Let's just hope it's not all ice. The plateau was destroyed from those storms.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #2036 on: January 20, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »
Feels like spring today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a pleasant break from the wicked cold.  Tomorrow looks even warmer.  Good day to hit some trails.  Guess we better enjoy it, because I think there's plenty of winter left in the tank. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 505
« Reply #2037 on: January 20, 2018, 10:53:48 PM »
The long range indicators on the EPS still look promising on the EPS. The EPO is negative and MJO is heading back to the cold phase for the East. This would be headed to a killer setup to my eyes as forecast atm.

Offline Tamlin

• Shower
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2038 on: January 21, 2018, 02:41:47 AM »
0z Euro is indicating some backside snow next Sunday.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #2039 on: January 21, 2018, 07:00:29 AM »
Pond here at home is still frozen, except for around the edges where it's shallow, and still white in appearance.  I threw some large rocks out toward the middle, and they bounced off.  I think this is the longest I've seen the pond frozen since I moved here in 2004.  And if we return to a long stretch of cold in February and March, as some are saying, this would have to be the coldest winter season since I've been a Tennessean.  Let's hope if it is cold, everyone can cash in with some epic snow systems.

Post Merge: January 21, 2018, 07:24:02 AM
Wow, just noticed the huge temperature spread across TN this morning.  At 8:00 am EST, mid-thirties dominate the far east (35 here), to mid 40's middle, all the way up to 57 at Memphis FTW. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:24:02 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

California Fires
by bugalou
[Today at 07:46:02 PM]
Fall 2018 (Epic Winter Prep Thread)
by JayCee
[Today at 05:12:50 PM]
Nov 14. 15 snow threat
by schneitzeit
[Today at 01:13:18 PM]
Winter 2018-19
by JayCee
[Today at 10:30:27 AM]
My You Tube Weather Video about Jackson, TN`s Climate Summary & Forecast !
by Mr. William E. Brantley
[Yesterday at 07:40:52 PM]

Advertisement