* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: 12/8/17 East TN Winter Event  (Read 2286 times)

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: 12/8/17 East TN Winter Event
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »
Took a 30 minute drive in the Wrangler up to the Cosby area of the Smokies to see some real snowfall (compared to my inch).  I'd say around 4-5 inches fell in most areas I drove through. 

Post Merge: December 09, 2017, 04:29:38 PM
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:29:39 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
Saw a 10" measurement at Kennesaw on FB today.  ::snowman::

Offline Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
My oldest brother lives in Dallas GA which is a little sw of ATL. He has a horse farm there and he had over a ft off snow.  He has no power and said it looked like a war zone there with trees down and tree limbs every where. He is not a snow lover like his siblings. Lol

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »
My oldest brother lives in Dallas GA which is a little sw of ATL. He has a horse farm there and he had over a ft off snow.  He has no power and said it looked like a war zone there with trees down and tree limbs every where. He is not a snow lover like his siblings. Lol

I can understand the tree damage.  This was a very wet snow--falling at temps right at or slightly above freezing.  I only had an inch here, but that little bit had the smaller pine trees in the yard all bent sideways. It wouldn't take much of this brand of snow to break or uproot shallow rooted trees like pines. 

A similar snow occured in 1998 on the Plateau and in southeast Kentucky.  Well over a foot of heavy, wet snow fell, and it was as bad as any ice storm.  Pine trees were down everywhere, and we didn't have power for nearly two days. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement