* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 121092 times)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »
We are cookin' here in east TN today.  Temps in the low to mid 90's again, and any thundershowers are few and far between.  NWS terminology would be "isolated." 

Reminds me of those hot summer days when I was knee high to a grasshopper living in KY.  I would turn on the AM radio and listen for any cracking or static caused by lightning in hopes a storm was nearby.  How things have changed.  Now with a click of a mouse, we can see a local radar and any nearby storms (or lack thereof).  Sometimes I miss the "good ole days."     ::hot::
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Summer 2017
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2017, 04:08:15 PM »
Gatlinburg has the highest temp per reported station at 99 at 5pm est and a nice DP of 66 lol. Meanwhile Memphis International...HI 110

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »
Heat index hit advisory criteria today here. 97/72 this afternoon HI of 106.  I did a long run this morning. It was miserable. I meant to cut the grass when I finished, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »
High of 97, DP 76 here with HI reaching 111 a couple of times. Rain still at 1.80" for the month. Can we skip to fall now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: July 23, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »
Looks like some relief this week. Today's heat still looks brutal, but there's a decent chance of storms this afternoon with a frontal boundary. After today, temps back off just slightly. Looks like some better relief coming by the end of the week with a more significant front coming through on Friday with better rain chances followed by highs in the 80s (and hopefully lower humidity I would think) next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
Looks like some relief this week. Today's heat still looks brutal, but there's a decent chance of storms this afternoon with a frontal boundary. After today, temps back off just slightly. Looks like some better relief coming by the end of the week with a more significant front coming through on Friday with better rain chances followed by highs in the 80s (and hopefully lower humidity I would think) next weekend.

And lows in the upper 50's to 60. LR GFS- yeah I know- has an even cooler air mass with lows well down into the 50's.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
Today's decent chances (50% POPs) don't seem to be panning out very well other than some widely scattered activity along the southern edge of the state.

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 528
« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »
Heat Advisory had to be upgraded to another Excessive Heat Warning for the Memphis metro. KMEM has a DP of 78 w/ a HI of 113.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »
Today's decent chances (50% POPs) don't seem to be panning out very well other than some widely scattered activity along the southern edge of the state.

Well, a nice line has formed along I-40

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 528
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »
 ::) Power's out, but restore time is by 9 pm. I think there may have been a downburst near here. It was windy, but non-severe. 45-55 and gusty.

Offline tnwthrwtchr

• Sunny
« Reply #250 on: July 23, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »
Finally some relief with a thunderstorm tonight.

Offline cgauxknox

• Supercell
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 326
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2017, 05:48:54 AM »
The line of storms that came through West Knoxville last night had an amazing frequency of lightning that lasted for a long time.  At midnight I didn't get onto a screen of any type to check, but it must have been a slow moving cell.  I did have something happen last night that I've never experienced in a lifetime of being around thunderstorms in Tennessee and am hoping some of the severe weather experts here can offer an opinion on what happened.

We have a fully enclosed sunroom off the back of our house that's fully heated and cooled, etc. and is indoor space, just with floor to ceiling windows around three walls.  Our dog's kennel is out there, which is where she sleeps at night, but when storms get bad we'll go bring her back to the bedroom with us.  While I was coaxing her out of her kennel to move to the bedroom last night (she isn't afraid of storms but last night's had her hesitant to move) there was one flash of lightning that was immediately followed by an audible, loud crackle, like the sound of current arcing between two connectors, that was followed measurably later by the thunder.  I was INSIDE my house and thought the crackle was loud and can't imagine how much of a pop it was outside or what the lightning hit or interacted with to make that noise.  I can't see any signs of a direct hit on anything from my house this morning but will take a walk a little later to survey any damage around the neighborhood.  Does anybody have an explanation for what I heard?  After being woken up by such a crazy storm I was convinced for a split second I was going to be electrocuted when I heard that sound.

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Had thunderstorms go to the east of us for the first round. No rain. The second round, the storms split, and were to the west and east of us. We ended up with 0.23" from that round. Felt like we were ripped off. At least the grass looks greener today.

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
The line of storms that came through West Knoxville last night had an amazing frequency of lightning that lasted for a long time.  At midnight I didn't get onto a screen of any type to check, but it must have been a slow moving cell.  I did have something happen last night that I've never experienced in a lifetime of being around thunderstorms in Tennessee and am hoping some of the severe weather experts here can offer an opinion on what happened.

We have a fully enclosed sunroom off the back of our house that's fully heated and cooled, etc. and is indoor space, just with floor to ceiling windows around three walls.  Our dog's kennel is out there, which is where she sleeps at night, but when storms get bad we'll go bring her back to the bedroom with us.  While I was coaxing her out of her kennel to move to the bedroom last night (she isn't afraid of storms but last night's had her hesitant to move) there was one flash of lightning that was immediately followed by an audible, loud crackle, like the sound of current arcing between two connectors, that was followed measurably later by the thunder.  I was INSIDE my house and thought the crackle was loud and can't imagine how much of a pop it was outside or what the lightning hit or interacted with to make that noise.  I can't see any signs of a direct hit on anything from my house this morning but will take a walk a little later to survey any damage around the neighborhood.  Does anybody have an explanation for what I heard?  After being woken up by such a crazy storm I was convinced for a split second I was going to be electrocuted when I heard that sound.
My cousin experienced the same thing years ago. He actually seen a spark from one outlet prong hole to the other. The power didn't fail either nor were any electronics damaged. Another time lightening flashed near by, and he swore he felt his fillings in his mouth tingle. Most likely what happened to you is that lightening struck a power line somewhere on your circuit, and caused a power spike or surge.

About three or for years ago lightening struck our power pole where our cable and electricity come to the house. It toasted all three cable boxes, two TVs, and a NAS drive. Odd thing is, it didn't damage the cable modem. Another oddity is it tripped the GFCI to the deep freezer in the garage, but no other GFCIs were tripped. There was no damage to the freezer or any other appliance. Lightning is wierd like that.

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 575
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
Happy August!

* Recent Posts

Winter 2018-19
by schneitzeit
[Today at 05:54:13 PM]