* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 107959 times)

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
The line of storms that came through West Knoxville last night had an amazing frequency of lightning that lasted for a long time.  At midnight I didn't get onto a screen of any type to check, but it must have been a slow moving cell.  I did have something happen last night that I've never experienced in a lifetime of being around thunderstorms in Tennessee and am hoping some of the severe weather experts here can offer an opinion on what happened.

We have a fully enclosed sunroom off the back of our house that's fully heated and cooled, etc. and is indoor space, just with floor to ceiling windows around three walls.  Our dog's kennel is out there, which is where she sleeps at night, but when storms get bad we'll go bring her back to the bedroom with us.  While I was coaxing her out of her kennel to move to the bedroom last night (she isn't afraid of storms but last night's had her hesitant to move) there was one flash of lightning that was immediately followed by an audible, loud crackle, like the sound of current arcing between two connectors, that was followed measurably later by the thunder.  I was INSIDE my house and thought the crackle was loud and can't imagine how much of a pop it was outside or what the lightning hit or interacted with to make that noise.  I can't see any signs of a direct hit on anything from my house this morning but will take a walk a little later to survey any damage around the neighborhood.  Does anybody have an explanation for what I heard?  After being woken up by such a crazy storm I was convinced for a split second I was going to be electrocuted when I heard that sound.
My cousin experienced the same thing years ago. He actually seen a spark from one outlet prong hole to the other. The power didn't fail either nor were any electronics damaged. Another time lightening flashed near by, and he swore he felt his fillings in his mouth tingle. Most likely what happened to you is that lightening struck a power line somewhere on your circuit, and caused a power spike or surge.

About three or for years ago lightening struck our power pole where our cable and electricity come to the house. It toasted all three cable boxes, two TVs, and a NAS drive. Odd thing is, it didn't damage the cable modem. Another oddity is it tripped the GFCI to the deep freezer in the garage, but no other GFCIs were tripped. There was no damage to the freezer or any other appliance. Lightning is wierd like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 545
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
Happy August!

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1086
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2017, 10:30:40 PM »
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2017, 07:06:48 AM »
Going to be a glorious weekend. 85 and low humidity. My idea of summer weather. I don't care what Bruce says.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »
I approve...

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 84. North northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 64.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 752
« Reply #275 on: July 27, 2017, 06:01:08 AM »
Pretty potent little system coming through tomorrow before the glorious weekend weather begins.  Hopefully, those needing rain will see a good soaking.  I only had .25 in last weekend's system, so it's pretty dry around here. 

Also, tomorrow's system is rather unusual for late summer.  Per MRX, the system will have plenty of wind shear.  That's something you don't normally see around here in July and August when most strong winds aloft have retreated into Canada.  Wonder if we'll have a more active fall severe weather season around here than we've seen in recent years?

However, there will be significant wind shear,
and severe storms will be possible with the primary threats being
wind damage and to a lesser extent hail.  Heavy rainfall may lead to
localized flooding as well. If the prefrontal airmass destabilizes
more than current model soundings indicate then an isolated tornado
could occur, but right now that threat looks quite low.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #276 on: July 27, 2017, 06:12:25 AM »
Pretty potent little system coming through tomorrow before the glorious weekend weather begins.  Hopefully, those needing rain will see a good soaking.  I only had .25 in last weekend's system, so it's pretty dry around here. 

We got lucky on Tuesday and got a good, soaking rain from one of those 10% chance cells that unexpectedly came right through West Knoxville and I think completely missed downtown and Loudon County.  If it wasn't for that we'd be really bone dry now with the heat.  All the same I'm hoping for plenty of good rain tomorrow to hold off what will probably be another week of dry (but cooler!) weather.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #277 on: July 27, 2017, 08:19:02 AM »

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: July 27, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
Hopefully, more rain will fall tomorrow than today.  Most of the storms are dissipating as they head east of Knoxville this afternoon.   I noticed local newspapers for Jefferson and Sevier county are even starting to mention the need for soaking rains for corn and soybean crops that are struggling this month.   
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 513
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2017, 07:22:17 PM »
TOR Warning for Cross, St. Francis, and Crittenden.

MWN: "NOT A DRILL. Parkin, Jenette, Edmonson areas - TAKE COVER! Definite signs of rotation in this storm as it moves ESE. #ARwx"

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1086
« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »
10 am... dew point running 78.... thats about high as it gets in these parts of the country... just step outside second... drip in sweat... not that am complaining to much... ;D
Come on severe wx season...

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #281 on: July 28, 2017, 11:07:07 PM »
Nice, rain for today was 2.19", so total for the month is 4.35". I was really worried we were going to end the month much below normal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: July 29, 2017, 06:27:22 AM »
Only .40" here overnight, and even less fell in areas to my east in Jefferson Co.  The drying will continue in places that missed out on the heavier rain this week.  Luckily, I still ended the month with 5.04" thanks to all the heavy rain that fell during the first week of the month. 

In any event, it's going to be an awesome weekend to end July.  Low humidity and mild temperatures in the heart of summer's dog days.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2017, 06:31:48 AM »
10 am... dew point running 78.... thats about high as it gets in these parts of the country... just step outside second... drip in sweat... not that am complaining to much... ;D
What a difference a day makes. A Little coolness to the breeze early this morning.

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #284 on: July 29, 2017, 07:30:18 AM »
What a difference a day makes. A Little coolness to the breeze early this morning.
It really is beautiful this morning.  We just got back in from a good walk with our dog, followed by a long game of fetch in the back yard.  As much as I enjoy a good Southern summer fall is always my favorite season.  With plenty of rain over the summer I'm hoping we get good color and a real autumn this year versus the ugly event we had last year.

* Recent Posts

BEMIS, TN --Historical Weather Facts, Climate Data, and Rainfall
by Mr. William E. Brantley
[Today at 03:24:50 AM]
Spring 2018
by JayCee
[Yesterday at 06:39:31 PM]
Winter 2017-18
by snowdog
[April 16, 2018, 05:59:38 PM]
April 13-14th 2018 Severe Risk
by Skillsweather