* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 117758 times)

Offline snowdog

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 90
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #165 on: July 04, 2017, 08:31:04 AM »
Snowdog, reporting from hibernation. This "cool" and wet summer has been awesome thus far. I give mother nature 2 thumbs up. 

Hope everyone has a great 4th.  ::flag::   ::unclesam::   ::flag::

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 862
« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
Last time we had a very hot summer followed by a mild winter, then a cool, wet summer was 2012 & 2013.  If memory serves, the following winter of 2013-14 was very cold & the year Alabama & the city of Atlanta had the infamous snow that shut down the highways.  Could the upcoming winter give us something similar??

Since Snowdog reported in, figured I'd give a quick winter commercial break.  We now resume our regularly scheduled thread already in progress. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 524
« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
Tornado Warning for Woodruff County. Certainly a bit unusual for the 4th of July. There was also an EF1 tornado in Jonesboro yesterday.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2017, 06:54:57 PM »
Been a good day here.  Nearly an inch of rain fell, but it occurred early in the morning, then again late this afternoon.  Nevertheless, I had plenty of dry time during the day to grill out and serve food to friends who stopped by for the 4th.  It's currently pouring the rain yet again, but it kept us pleasantly cool all day long despite the humidity.  I just put a large fan on the deck, and it made it comfortable during the afternoon heat (if you can call it that compared to last year).

Happy Independence Day!!
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1146
« Reply #169 on: July 04, 2017, 07:07:20 PM »
bring me a 594 heat ridge... im so ready for real summer to get here... hope euro is on to something long range... :D
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »
bring me a 594 heat ridge... im so ready for real summer to get here... hope euro is on to something long range... :D

Move to Texas or the desert Southwest. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 497
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2017, 09:27:15 PM »
AMEN.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1146
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2017, 04:16:06 AM »
this is the southeast... were hot humid and dry spells are VERY common... maybe you should consider moving to seattle washington... ::whistling::
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2017, 05:42:57 AM »
this is the southeast... were hot humid and dry spells are VERY common... maybe you should consider moving to seattle washington... ::whistling::

80's are normal for here in eastern TN, and I'm quite happy with that, thank you. 

I consider yesterday a perfect day.  Plenty of sun, heat (normal 80's) and humidity that ended with a strong storm that we watched from the front porch.  Nature's fireworks. 

Post Merge: July 05, 2017, 07:20:14 AM
Nature is about balance.  Dry, hot years are balanced with cool, wet years.  This year the pendulum has swung the other way from last year.  If every year was like last year's death ridge on top of us, the Southeast would be more like the Southwest, and that's not normal. 

So, live in the moment and enjoy this summer, and I'll do my best to enjoy the next year of drought and heat.    ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:20:14 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »

2010-12 and last summer/fall give us enough of that to hold me for probably the rest of my life. Even good ole Seattle had to deal with 90s on a few occasions this summer and I'm sure they are over it as well.

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »
Quite the turn around from June for me precipitation-wise.  I recorded 1.54" yesterday, and up to 3.65" for July only 5 days in.  Trees and yards have a green lushness to them that was absent this time last year.  By now, last summer, fields were turning brown, and even large trees were losing leaves in the extreme heat.  I actually lost a very old hickory that didn't come back out this year.  Good to see a "cool change."

Henry David Thoreau

Offline bugalou

• Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »

You can take the 594 dm ridge and put it in your 600 dm back side.  ;D  I kid, I kid.
I never want heat.  Even as rainy as its been, its been hot enough and rain free enough to do most summer things.  Everyone was swimming most of the day yesterday where I was at before the rain came.

That said, the jet stream is going to have to calm down, but even then, the mesoscale picture this season has largely been responsible for a lot of the rain.  The shallow low to our NW that drove and will drive a lot of the rain yesterday and today is a left over MCV the broadened and deepened from all the daily MCS activity.  Just like the heat, the rain can get in a positive feedback loop in the summer months.  With no huge synoptic scale cold fronts to wipe the slate clean it leaves all these mesoscale boundaries that fire more MCSs that create more boundaries.  Combine this with the the thermodynamic energy from all the super humid hot air from high soil moisture and the summer sun you can get a bit of positive feedback.  I doubt it will last all summer, but the longer it does last, the more staying power it will have until the polar jet heads south for the fall.

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »
With the available moisture content, it's going to be fairly tough to break above the mid-90s unless a death ridge sets up in the southern Plains and migrates eastward. Even Dallas is having a mild summer so far, only hitting 100 once so far.

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2017, 02:29:01 PM »
It has rained every day since my son was born on June 30. I could use a break to mow the grass. It's been way too wet to cut and it's growing at a springtime rate.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline JayCee

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »
Had quite a line of storms gusting out as they collapsed yesterday around 4 pm.  Several large trees were downed on my road.  Only .22 of rain fell, but the wind was impressive.
Henry David Thoreau

Advertisement