* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 91146 times)

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »
A whopping .01 of rain overnight.  There are a few scattered downpours around this morning--but they are few and far between.  Confidence in a decent rain event here is waning.
This week looks pretty wet on the GFS, but it hasn't handled this event well so far here. Not a drop of rain yet here.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2017, 07:57:18 AM »
Looks like we might have a tropical system to keep an eye on. Parts of if not all of the state could be affected.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2017, 08:00:47 AM »
This week looks pretty wet on the GFS, but it hasn't handled this event well so far here. Not a drop of rain yet here.

True.  Models have been all over the place lately, mostly overdoing rain amounts and coverage.  The 7 day QPF has us getting a ton of water--mostly from a tropical system coming ashore in the Gulf and riding up this way as a trough digs in to the Eastern U.S.  We'll see. . .

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
0.33" here overnight. 😁

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »
0.33" here overnight. 😁

You’ve all been doing pretty well in the rainfall department over that way in the current pattern.  Further east, it’s been rather dry this month—at least in some areas.   
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
You’ve all been doing pretty well in the rainfall department over that way in the current pattern.  Further east, it’s been rather dry this month—at least in some areas.   
That should change this week with that tropical system hitting more of eastern Tennessee. This weekends rain was a total let down but tropical systems are usually decent hits so hopefully it pans out. Anything to help keep droughts from happening.
867-5309

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »
We are a long ways away from drought concerns in any part of Tennessee right now. I can't speak for far eastern Tennessee but here on the plateau, we're looking at potentially 4-5 inches of rain if the worst case scenario pans out with the weekend tropical system, and that's 4-5 inches of rain we certainly don't need. Flooding is a far more likely scenario than drought right now.

I can't imagine anyone being thrilled by this weather pattern. Hay producers are loving it (except those who are having trouble finding enough dry weather to get their first cutting completed and put away) but other ag producers are starting to see damage to their crops from all the wet weather.

Offline bugalou

• Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
We are a long ways away from drought concerns in any part of Tennessee right now. I can't speak for far eastern Tennessee but here on the plateau, we're looking at potentially 4-5 inches of rain if the worst case scenario pans out with the weekend tropical system, and that's 4-5 inches of rain we certainly don't need. Flooding is a far more likely scenario than drought right now.

I can't imagine anyone being thrilled by this weather pattern. Hay producers are loving it (except those who are having trouble finding enough dry weather to get their first cutting completed and put away) but other ag producers are starting to see damage to their crops from all the wet weather.

Excellent point.  I know on the west end of the state, we have been so wet that it is limiting the 90 degree days here.  We are usually well into regular 90 degree days by this time of the year, but we have only had a few.  I am not complaining about that as I hate the heat, but I know that that too much rain is problem for farmers.

Offline joemomma

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »
It's def been wet over our way....my pepper plants are not loving it.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
12z Euro is cranking out 5-10 inch rain amounts from memphis eastward- especially SW TN and North MS with the tropical system this weekend. Behind it is dry cooler air and temps in the 50's at night for several days.

Someone is gonna get flooding this weekend.

Offline bugalou

• Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »
These will  be the maps to keep an eye on this week:
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/excess_rain.shtml

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
I think no one at this point wants 4 to 5 inches of rain, especially within a couple of days.

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »
I think no one at this point wants 4 to 5 inches of rain, especially within a couple of days.

Exactly.  Over my way, I've only had an inch of rain this month in two brief downpours pretty early on, and the current system has yet to drop any IMBY, despite models daily showing .50-1.00" the last few days.  While I would like to see some rain for newly planted trees/shrubs that I'm watering daily now, who needs 4-5 inches in the current pattern?  That would be too much for even a thirsty garden. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:31:16 PM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »

GEFS 12z ensemble members

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »

GEFS 12z ensemble members

One thing to note is that with weak tropical storms the heavy precipitation area can be displaced well east and north from where the actual storm center travels.

Post Merge: June 19, 2017, 06:22:00 PM

I can't imagine anyone being thrilled by this weather pattern.

I can't imagine anyone enjoying destructive severe storms or tornadoes, but there are those who do, and many unabashedly show their excitement each severe weather season on this forum.  Others show up in winter and go crazy over a heavy snow storm in the forecast.  Heavy rain, drought, tornadoes, severe storms, heavy snow, ice storms, extreme cold/heat--all of it brings hardship to human beings in one way or another.  It's weather, and we're just here to talk about it--nothing more. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:22:00 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

Summer 2017
by StormNine
[Today at 09:19:57 PM]
BEMIS, TN --Historical Weather Facts, Climate Data, and Rainfall
by Mr. William E. Brantley
[Yesterday at 03:58:37 AM]
Winter 2017-18
by Dyersburg Weather
[Yesterday at 12:15:40 AM]

Advertisement