* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 112054 times)

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »
Current run of the GFS keeps the stripe of heavy rain in northwest TN into KY.  It's a bit more generous with the rain in Eastern TN around TYS--dropping nearly 3" there.  Strangely, it has a "hole" of lower totals just south of OHX. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:37:25 PM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2017, 02:01:19 PM »
My Dad is definitely unhappy about more rain down on the farm. They've had a difficult year with locally heavy rain. For example, one day in late May they received nearly 6" across the area and it didn't even rain at my house in Memphis.

I was in San Francisco this past weekend, and it got over 90 even in the city. While it's been seasonably warm and quite muggy here, I was still hoping for a reprieve.

Offline bugalou

• Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
Most of Memphis Metro and northeastward now now in a moderate risk for excessive rain in the day 3 outlook (see my above post)

Post Merge: June 21, 2017, 03:36:49 PM
My Dad is definitely unhappy about more rain down on the farm. They've had a difficult year with locally heavy rain. For example, one day in late May they received nearly 6" across the area and it didn't even rain at my house in Memphis.

I was in San Francisco this past weekend, and it got over 90 even in the city. While it's been seasonably warm and quite muggy here, I was still hoping for a reprieve.

The delta is interesting during periods of excessive rain.  All that flat farm land become lakes with roads intersecting them.  It can fell more like  driving on a long bridge than a road during the really wet times.

Also you picked a bad time to head west!   ::blowtorch::
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:16:07 PM by bugalou »

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2017, 04:04:18 PM »
Man it would awesome to have an arctic air mass locked in with this.  ::rofl::

Offline bugalou

• Derecho
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2017, 04:20:01 PM »

I kind of lived this with Sandy.  Some parts of West Virginia in the cold sector got like 2' of snow  ::snowman::

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
Here's hoping we don't have a system like this over us on this date two months from now.  I hope to  drive only an hour to see a once-in-a-lifetime event.  But if need be, I'll drive much further if it's cloudy here. 

Post Merge: June 21, 2017, 06:25:23 PM
2017 is full of rarities.  Here is one for June happening next week--

Tuesday:   Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid to upper 70s.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:25:23 PM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Online mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
Thought I would share some insider info from my Uncle's friend whom is a TVA retiree. TVA is preparing to open all of their spillways in east/middle TN. Apparently some of their private forecasters are expecting the system to stall out right over TN.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1102
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
dont know why... because good chance it just would be suppressed... :)
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2017, 08:36:25 PM »

With all the Gulf moisture streaming in? WAA for the win.  ;D

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2017, 06:01:26 AM »
Northwest TN into KY continues to be the bulls-eye for the heaviest rain.   Rain amounts continue to be trimmed back slightly into East TN.  Looks like a decent 1-2" may fall according to the recent GFS and NAM--which should be easily absorbed.  Fortunately, widespread flooding won't be a concern here, at least.  Hopefully, it won't be too bad in areas further west and north. 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:19:01 AM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »
I will take being too wet over a drought any day but we do not need that. Already have close 4.5 for the month of June.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »
I will take being too wet over a drought any day but we do not need that. Already have close 4.5 for the month of June.

If I could, I would flip-flop the heavy rain over toward us.  I've only had 1.5" for the month.  The ground could probably handle it better over here.  I just hope to catch up closer to normal. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2017, 09:34:30 AM »
Tropical rains have started here. It never looks that impressive on radar until you see it in person .

Could be a corridor of wind gusts over 40 tomorrow am wherever the depression moves through. Should be interesting to watch.

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »
Current HRRR has a stripe of heavy rain in the mid-state (1+"), but lesser amounts east and west of there.  Right now sprinkles falling here, and radar shows a weakening trend of precip as it moves up the Great Valley of east TN. I think some downsloping is hindering the moisture over this way--as is usually the case with large scale systems moving to our west.     
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2017, 11:30:52 AM »
Tropical rains have started here. It never looks that impressive on radar until you see it in person .

Could be a corridor of wind gusts over 40 tomorrow am wherever the depression moves through. Should be interesting to watch.

True. I'm already noticing when one of these showers/bands come through, winds pick up a bit. You can tell it's a little out of the ordinary.

Advertisement