* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 97918 times)

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
0.85" yesterday. Nice day today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
A few sprinkles here. Ended July with 4.5 but 3.5 of that was in first week or so. That 2 weeks of heat dried things out.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »
The warm sector has moved back in. After yesterday's glorious reprieve, we are squarely back in the humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 389
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »
A few sprinkles here. Ended July with 4.5 but 3.5 of that was in first week or so. That 2 weeks of heat dried things out.

Same thing here.  Had a deluge of rain the first week of July, and very little after that.  A quarter inch here, a tenth of an inch there.  Grass is rather brown, and all the ground cover is wilted.

On a different note--spent the weekend in KY, and enjoyed an October-like Saturday in August.  Morning low was 51 at my folks house in southeast KY.  Splendid.  :)
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2017, 10:04:12 PM »
We actually ended up just a touch below normal for the month of July despite all the rain in the first 10 days of the month.

I have a feeling no one will really be complaining about a lack of rain by the end of this week, though.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »
The Smoky Mtn. foothills sure missed last night's rain.  Knoxville and areas near the Plateau had between .50" and 1.00".  I recorded .19", and another CoCoRaHS observer in Blount County only rec'd .07 overnight.  Hopefully, we'll have a better coverage of significant rain near the Smokies today.  The forecast calls for over an inch, but I've heard that song many times this summer only to watch the rain pass us by. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
I got 1.71in IMBY last night. Bringing the month to 3.29in for me.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Online Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2017, 08:39:31 AM »
Pretty amazing change in modeling from 3 days ago when 3-4 inches of rain were predicted with a stalled front over the area. Now it keeps the front south of the area almost all week with lower humidity and BN temps. What is a front doing south of TN in August? There is only one 90 degree day on the GFS at Memphis for the next 15 days-and its only 90. #augusttoremember

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2017, 08:59:32 AM »
The frequent rains are great, just so long as the 21st is a bright sunny day.  ;)

Online Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #324 on: August 07, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »
The frequent rains are great, just so long as the 21st is a bright sunny day.  ;)

LR GFS says sunny and 85/63.  ::fingerscrossed::

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: August 07, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »
Pretty amazing change in modeling from 3 days ago when 3-4 inches of rain were predicted with a stalled front over the area. Now it keeps the front south of the area almost all week with lower humidity and BN temps. What is a front doing south of TN in August? There is only one 90 degree day on the GFS at Memphis for the next 15 days-and its only 90. #augusttoremember

Atypical August for sure.  One has to wonder what's in store as we head deeper into autumn.  Cooler than normal trend continues--or a reversal toward a warm fall?  After last year, I would be happy with "normal."

Post Merge: August 07, 2017, 10:53:33 AM
WPC has been all over the place with their QPF forecasts.  Yesterday, it looked like 2-3 inches were likely in most of east TN.  This morning it looks more like .75-1.75".  However, we've only had a few showers so far this morning that haven't added up to more than a tenth of an inch.  Wondering if we'll even get enough to help the overall dry conditions in my area. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:53:33 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 285
« Reply #326 on: August 07, 2017, 12:33:13 PM »
Looking at the GFS we will not see 90 thru the end of run which takes us all the way to the 24th. Unbelievable.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 767
« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
Looking at the GFS we will not see 90 thru the end of run which takes us all the way to the 24th. Unbelievable.
probably going pay for it late this month into all September.... ;)
Come on severe wx season...

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2017, 03:10:59 PM »
As with many rain systems this summer--this one is a big bust over this way.  Very light and insignificant showers have fallen in Sevier & Jefferson counties and areas along the foothills.  Unless more organized rain develops before this system departs, we'll probably be lucky to have a third of an inch.  Right now the radar looks anemic, despite dewpoints in the lower 70's, and a front pushing in.   
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
probably going pay for it late this month into all September.... ;)

I doubt it.

* Recent Posts

Advertisement