* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 58160 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »
Nice photo.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
Nice photo.

Thanks.  With fronts moving through this summer on a regular basis, we haven't had the typical stagnant haze that builds up over time.  It's been nice to enjoy such clear, blue skies and bright sunsets even in mid-summer.   
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2017, 08:03:26 PM »
We received three times our normal rainfall for July in just the first eight days of the month. But summer has finally arrived for this week. I'm gonna bottle some up and send it to JayCee.  ::flag::

Offline snowdog

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:12 PM »
We received three times our normal rainfall for July in just the first eight days of the month. But summer has finally arrived for this week. I'm gonna bottle some up and send it to JayCee.  ::flag::

Yeah, I'm mowing my yard once a week still.  Usually by now I'm at twice a month.

Offline cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2017, 05:50:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm mowing my yard once a week still.  Usually by now I'm at twice a month.
Once a week is still almost not enough in the valley; about 5 days is all I can give mine before it starts threatening to overtake the house.  This is a major change from last year where every 14 days or so I'd take the mower out to knock down the tall weeds and stir the dust.  I'll take a damp summer over a drought any time.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »

::applause::   ::blowtorch:: Glad summer has finally arrived for ya my friend.  Two (and possibly 3) 90 degree days on tap starting today.  Enjoy!  8)

This time last year, I believe Knoxville had already seen 14 days above 90.  This year only 2--so far.  I will do my best to refrain from complaining about it.    ;D

Post Merge: July 11, 2017, 07:32:53 AM
Bring on summer.  I'm ready!  For that, and the mosquitoes!   >:D

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:33:56 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 205
« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
::applause::   ::blowtorch:: Glad summer has finally arrived for ya my friend.  Two (and possibly 3) 90 degree days on tap starting today.  Enjoy!  8)

This time last year, I believe Knoxville had already seen 14 days above 90.  This year only 2--so far.  I will do my best to refrain from complaining about it.    ;D

Post Merge: July 11, 2017, 07:32:53 AM
Bring on summer.  I'm ready!  For that, and the mosquitoes!   >:D

What about wasp and bees and spiders them are the scary stuff outside. Mosquitoes are just annoying like flys and nats.
867-5309

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
The long range GFS is HOT. High temps between 98 and 103 after day 7 through truncation. It may not get quite that hot due to high soil moisture, but that same soil moisture is going to make the humidity much worse.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
What about wasp and bees and spiders them are the scary stuff outside. Mosquitoes are just annoying like flys and nats.
No. Mosquitoes are the devil.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »
No. Mosquitoes are the devil.

Agreed!!  I live near a pond, and I have them bad starting about June.  I've tried different sprays and outdoor foggers with limited success.  I bought that giant fan in the picture late last week, and I haven't been bitten any night since.  It literally blows them away.  I can finally enjoy Tennessee summer nights without that annoying buzzing in my ear!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:39:15 PM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline WXHD

• Supercell
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
Agreed!!  I live near a pond, and I have them bad starting about June.  I've tried different sprays and outdoor foggers with limited success.  I bought that giant fan in the picture late last week, and I haven't been bitten any night since.  It literally blows them away.  I can finally enjoy Tennessee summer nights without that annoying buzzing in my ear!

I use Talstar-p. It's a non-selective insecticide. I have dozens of trees that need to be protected from bag worms. I don't exactly enjoy putting down a broad spectrum pesticide but, ain't no bug bites in my yard.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2017, 11:27:03 PM »
I don't mind mosquitoes too much. I can put up enough Citronella torches to buy myself some peace when I'm enjoying an evening outside.

On the other hand, this is the time of year when I become as nervous as the proverbial long-tailed cat in the room of rocking chairs when I'm mowing grass. I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. I know the yellow jacket nests are there (I have quite a few fruit trees and find several nests in my yard every year). I just don't know where they're at.

Offline Beth

• Derecho
  • Snowbird
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
Lol! That is a heck of a fan. I bet it blows your hair straight back too!  I should invest in one that size! Mosquitoes are not to bad yet here but we have a horrible batch of "no see um" bugs!  I have never been appealing to bugs but those little devils have tore me up this year! I think the bug spray that I spray on attracts them! I hope we get a good enough cold spell this winter to kill those annoying pests!  :-\

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »
Lol! That is a heck of a fan. I bet it blows your hair straight back too!  I should invest in one that size! Mosquitoes are not to bad yet here but we have a horrible batch of "no see um" bugs!  I have never been appealing to bugs but those little devils have tore me up this year! I think the bug spray that I spray on attracts them! I hope we get a good enough cold spell this winter to kill those annoying pests!  :-\

Yes, I don't need mother nature to get some wind action on the porch now. ;D  I can tolerate heat and humidity if there is a decent breeze, but we're in the doldrums this time of year.  The only breeze comes with a storm most of the time.  I love spending time on the deck during summer weekends, and rarely go inside.  This bad boy makes me feel like I'm on the beach with my own personal sea breeze.  As an added bonus, the no-see-ums can't even get close.  I should've got one a long time ago.

Good area of storms on the plateau today.  Also a few storms in the mountains.  Pretty typical summer afternoon. 

Post Merge: July 13, 2017, 07:02:12 AM
Looks like the atmosphere is priming the pump early today.  Thunderheads already going up at daybreak, so we'll probably see better coverage of storms this afternoon as forecast by the NWS.  Already a few lights showers popping in Sevier Co this morning. 

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:02:12 AM by JayCee, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline wfrogge

• Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2017, 08:56:30 AM »
looks like the death ridge is fully in place for the next month. Time to bake  ::blowtorch::

* Recent Posts

BEMIS, TN --Historical Weather Facts, Climate Data, and Rainfall
by Mr. William E. Brantley
[Today at 03:26:21 AM]
Summer 2017
by JayCee
[Yesterday at 09:49:37 AM]
South American Winter
by JayCee
[July 18, 2017, 07:15:02 AM]

Advertisement