* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 58158 times)

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 748
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »
http://www.wbbjtv.com/2017/07/06/crews-assess-carroll-county-storm-damage/

EF-1 tornado confirmed in southern Carroll County here in the West yesterday afternoon.
yep... about 5 miles north of me...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »
GFS even spitting out fantasy storms in summer.

Offline WXHD

• Supercell
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 241
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2017, 05:40:47 AM »
My first vacation in years and the bullseye us right where we'll be.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2017, 07:00:33 AM »
Last night was probably one of more warm, humid nights of this summer so far.  Felt like a sauna outside around 3 a.m. when I looked outside during a downpour that woke me up.  Hopefully, well have a few days of more comfortable humidity levels by Sunday & Monday as another northwest flow briefly sets up.

I love the long days of summer.  The twilight lasting to almost 10 p.m is something I enjoy.  However, there have been many summers I wanted to see end due to the oppressive heat and humidity & lack of rain that withered anything green.  2007, 2011-12 & 2016 come to mind.  Its good to have a summer where I can actually enjoy the long days and not wish them away for cooler, autumn breezes. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline NashRugger

• Supercell
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2017, 08:58:13 AM »
GFS even spitting out fantasy storms in summer.

Some folks, not on here, already reaching on this. IT'S 15 DAYS OUT! ::bangingheadintowall::

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »
Last night was probably one of more warm, humid nights of this summer so far.  Felt like a sauna outside around 3 a.m. when I looked outside during a downpour that woke me up.  Hopefully, well have a few days of more comfortable humidity levels by Sunday & Monday as another northwest flow briefly sets up.

I love the long days of summer.  The twilight lasting to almost 10 p.m is something I enjoy.  However, there have been many summers I wanted to see end due to the oppressive heat and humidity & lack of rain that withered anything green.  2007, 2011-12 & 2016 come to mind.  Its good to have a summer where I can actually enjoy the long days and not wish them away for cooler, autumn breezes.

We need about 5 years of oppressive heat and humidity to make up for this disastrous summer.  ::)

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 748
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
We need about 5 years of oppressive heat and humidity to make up for this disastrous summer.  ::)
Euro says. Hello heat....
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »
Euro says. Hello heat....

I'll believe it when I see it. The GFS has been consistently building heat ridges after truncation, only to lose them. Summers like this rarely flip this late in the season.

Not that I want oppressive heat, or even above-normal heat of any kind. But I would like some consistently dry weather, and if that means heat, I'll take it.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: July 07, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »

Not that I judge, but some peeps on here are just cray cray.    ;D
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: July 07, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »
Not that I judge, but some peeps on here are just cray cray.    ;D

I know, right! I've always wondered what drives the mindset of people who root for rain everyday. I imagine them with translucent skin, sitting in front of their computer incessantly staring at weather models and never venturing outside to enjoy the fresh air.   :)

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: July 07, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
I know, right! I've always wondered what drives the mindset of people who root for rain everyday. I imagine them with translucent skin, sitting in front of their computer incessantly staring at weather models and never venturing outside to enjoy the fresh air.   :)

Perhaps aliens really have landed from a distant water world.   ;)

In all seriousness, it really hasn't been as bad over this way in terms of too much rain.  June was about half of normal here (2.06").  We just boarded the rain train as of this week.  After several deluges this week, I think we're good now. 

Sometimes the rain spigot shuts off in these types of summers about mid-August.  Hopefully for water logged areas that will be the case this year.   

Post Merge: July 07, 2017, 05:22:27 PM
Looks like an awesome evening.  Sunshine in abundance, and despite the humidity, a good breeze is blowing for a change.  Time to stoke the grill and spend the night on the deck under the oak tree listening to the tree frogs (not to mention the chorus of the Katydids--   https://youtu.be/ybKV-7z0jGc). 

I sure can't complain about this summer so far, especially with 2016 still fresh in my memory!

Happy Friday ya'll !

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:55:08 PM by JayCee »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2017, 10:38:22 PM »
We priced a sprinkler system this spring- more than I wanted to pay, at least right now. So, I had to commit to keeping the grass watered. It's been nice to not have to do much of that with frequent rains lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2017, 07:36:36 AM »
Looks like a decent day to take a drive into southeast TN and figure out a place to view to eclipse next month.  A lot depends on the weather that day, but right now heading down Hwy 411 toward Madisonville or Tellico Plains.  Hoping to find some out of way place on a back road, as the major highways will probably be congested. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
After 9 days in a row with rain, I'm expecting today to be dry finally. I'm getting the convertible out.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Late evening sun yesterday.  The July sun sets slowly...and it was a perfect evening to enjoy it. 

Henry David Thoreau

* Recent Posts

BEMIS, TN --Historical Weather Facts, Climate Data, and Rainfall
by Mr. William E. Brantley
[Today at 03:26:21 AM]
Summer 2017
by JayCee
[Yesterday at 09:49:37 AM]
South American Winter
by JayCee
[July 18, 2017, 07:15:02 AM]

Advertisement