* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Summer 2017  (Read 96370 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Summer 2017
« on: May 30, 2017, 02:53:59 PM »
I didn't see a thread yet. Memorial Day is commonly called the "unofficial" start of Summer. June 1st (in two days) is the start of meteorological summer, even if the solstice is still three weeks out. So, we'll go ahead and start it here.

By the way, there are some fairly healthy looking thunderstorm cells firing this afternoon, seemingly along a boundary draped across the state. They're widely scattered, but look to be dropping some downpours.

Offline joemomma

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Summer 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »
It just blew up in eastern Putnam County.  Pea-sized hail coming down for the past 10 minutes or so, enough to start accumulating.  Not a lot of lightning or thunder.

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »
South Wilson county keeps getting hit by storm after storm they keep firing to my south and going just south of me over and over.. constant thunder dark clouds no rain. over 2.5inchs south of me though. We did get 1 downpour earlier but it didnt last long.
867-5309

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 03:10:55 PM »
Sure am glad to see more rain today. We certainly needed it.  ::)

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »
0.17" from the 1st round of thunderstorms. Storms were mild. A 2nd round is about to move in. Looks to be a little stronger line. NWS has issued a significant weather advisory for my area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Online cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »
We're under a significant weather advisory here in West Knoxville with a nasty cell inbound after some torrential rain about an hour ago.  It's turning into a more lively afternoon than I expected  ::drowning::

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 08:52:43 AM »
I'm laid up today after a minor surgery, and its awesome to have all the windows open and feeling cool air drift in them, and on the last day of May no less!

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but with more cool air forecast for next week, I'm cliff jumping---it's SUMMER CANCEL folks!!  I've lost all hope for any substantial heat waves or endless sunny days above 90 that lead to drought.  I'm giving up on summer 2017!!   ::cliff::

We do it in December, why not May?  ;D
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
I'm laid up today after a minor surgery, and its awesome to have all the windows open and feeling cool air drift in them, and on the last day of May no less!

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but with more cool air forecast for next week, I'm cliff jumping---it's SUMMER CANCEL folks!!  I've lost all hope for any substantial heat waves or endless sunny days above 90 that lead to drought.  I'm giving up on summer 2017!!   ::cliff::

We do it in December, why not May?  ;D
That everything changed when the fire nation attacked.  ::blowtorch::
But yeah seriously doubt we will have any long streak heat waves this summer. And no droughts either. It might get dryer later but not really drought worthy. The whole south has got lots of high soil moisture for this time of year and next week we are looking at highs in the upper 70s in early June. With average rainfall expected.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:19:10 AM by skillsweather »
867-5309

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
0.17" from the 1st round of thunderstorms. Storms were mild. A 2nd round is about to move in. Looks to be a little stronger line. NWS has issued a significant weather advisory for my area.

We had a whopping .03 over here.  Storms died soon after crossing the Knox/Sevier Co border. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline bigdog660

• Sunny
    • East Tennessee Weather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
We had a whopping .03 over here.  Storms died soon after crossing the Knox/Sevier Co border.
Yeah, we only received another 0.05" from the 2nd line. Might of thundered once or twice.

<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KTNKNOXV19&amp;freq=&amp;units=english&amp;lang=EN</a>

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »
Upper 70s for highs in June. That's what I'm talking about.  To lazy to look but seems like it was 120 last year at this time.

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 10:49:07 PM »
Upper 70s for highs in June. That's what I'm talking about.  To lazy to look but seems like it was 120 last year at this time.

KMEM peaked with a HI of 119 on June 17. IIRC, though, y'all up near KY/MO were higher, and had other extreme days as DPs pooled more there.

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 06:23:20 PM »
Two outflows are about to hit in Wilson county. Hopefully they will fire some rain for me. One to the north one to the south are about to clash.
867-5309

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »
For Memphis - The average first occurrence of 90F is May 24.  We are now 11 days beyond that and, if the forecast holds, we will make it to 18 days beyond normal. 

However, we have quite a ways to go to break the latest first occurrence-  July 5th 😲-  back in 1907!

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado