* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Climate Change and Energy Discussion  (Read 2578 times)

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 760
Climate Change and Energy Discussion
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:37:15 PM »
::shrug:: Its Winters fault we live in the South? Blame your parents they didnt raise you up North or in the mountains. In the future I see some periods of NW flow. Likely that the mountains have a coulpe more snowfalls this year. Give yourselves a day off work, drive East up to some elevation and enjoy a hard eared day of snowly weather. Everyone owes it to themselves, we are not easy on ourselves here at home. For me I have been ok with this Winter as the west has had a chance to catch up on rainfall due to heavy mountain snows. Lets try and hang in there and make the best of things. I look forward to the chance to see some flakes fly in TN still this season .
its not winters fault what so ever... its called climate change... its only going to get worse if nothing can or we do nothing about it... I had great winters as a kid here...
Come on severe wx season...

Offline WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: Climate Change and Energy Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:47:16 PM »
its not winters fault what so ever... its called climate change... its only going to get worse if nothing can or we do nothing about it... I had great winters as a kid here...

I'm in agreement. Wish there was a mic drop icon because that's what you just did. Renewable energy is getting cheaper and cheaper. If our country got in board that would mean my power bills would be getting cheaper and cheaper. Other countries are embracing renewable and will create millions of jobs building, installing and, maintaining such equipment. We're not a part of that. Nope, we're going to bring back coal jobs. Because we're to believe that automation and cheaper alternatives(natural gas) aren't the main culprit for the disappearing jobs. Climate change has become a political issue, stupidly so. Look, pollution is a problem. And, it is one we all suffer from. We could have nearly free energy and water that didn't need to go through a thousand miles of filters before it reached our mouths if we worked together to eliminate pollution.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly Ė raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »
Chicago is fixing to go snowless again this month... that is without snow on the ground for least 24 hour period... for the months January and February.... been 146 years since that has happened...

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:28:24 PM »
I'm in agreement. Wish there was a mic drop icon because that's what you just did. Renewable energy is getting cheaper and cheaper. If our country got in board that would mean my power bills would be getting cheaper and cheaper. Other countries are embracing renewable and will create millions of jobs building, installing and, maintaining such equipment. We're not a part of that. Nope, we're going to bring back coal jobs. Because we're to believe that automation and cheaper alternatives(natural gas) aren't the main culprit for the disappearing jobs. Climate change has become a political issue, stupidly so. Look, pollution is a problem. And, it is one we all suffer from. We could have nearly free energy and water that didn't need to go through a thousand miles of filters before it reached our mouths if we worked together to eliminate pollution.

Mic drop, really? I had great winters three of the last five years. So the climate change that is impacting Bruce's part of Tennessee, where he had great winters as a kid, obviously isn't impacting my part of Tennessee...right?

AGW may or may not be a legit concern, but let's have some scientific proof...not just nostalgic remembrances of the winters of long ago.

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
Mic drop, really? I had great winters three of the last five years. So the climate change that is impacting Bruce's part of Tennessee, where he had great winters as a kid, obviously isn't impacting my part of Tennessee...right?

AGW may or may not be a legit concern, but let's have some scientific proof...not just nostalgic remembrances of the winters of long ago.

Aside from this (and last year's winter storm fail for southern west TN) I'm not sure what the gripe is about. Looking at Jackson's snowfall since 2008, including a 13 inch snow and blizzard conditions in 2009, what could one possibly ask for? Yes , there were a couple of dud winters thrown in for good measure, but seems dramatic to just say childhood years are a thing of the past. Blame the North Pacific for this winters fail- and quite frankly- it was overdue with the long period of a warm blob. I could go on and on about AGW- but I won't. It makes me tired.

Offline snowdog

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »
If our country got in board that would mean my power bills would be getting cheaper and cheaper.

If you live here in middle TN you get your electricity from TVA which is nuclear.  Pretty competitive price wise, even vs renewables. 

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »
So, I'm going to create a separate topic on the climate change and energy discussion to keep that there since there seems to be some interest... for better or worse.

EDIT

Done... alright folks, we all know this is a controversial subject. So, all I ask- just keep it respectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:42:13 PM by Thundersnow »

Offline snowdog

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 10:14:49 PM »
Done... alright folks, we all know this is a controversial subject. So, all I ask- just keep it respectful.

LOL, having viewed many message boards, the odds of this thread remaining civil past page 2 or 3 is low....very very low.  But, maybe our mature and erudite members here on this board will prove me wrong.   ::guitar::

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »
My take on it is thisÖ

Climate change happens.  It has always happened long before man was around to do anything to alter it.  Now, can we help it along?  Perhaps.  We certainly have the power to pollute and modify our natural environment.  We can trash our rivers, streams, and our oceans.   Before we learned good soil conservation practices, we nearly turned the Plains into a desert.  China is now combating desertification in their own country due to the same poor farming practices.  We now know we can even cause earthquakes in areas where earthquakes have rarely happened in the past by using hydraulic fracturing to remove oil reserves from the ground.   Man has the power to change the environment for the good or badóthatís a given, so thereís no reason to believe that we CANíT change the climate with poor choices.  Having said all that, I honestly canít say there is any proof that we are warming the earth.  The earth is warmer, that is fact.  The Arctic is in record warm territory this year, and sea ice there is also at an historic low in the CURRENT era.  http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/   We just came off of one of the warmest years on record.   To deny the earth is warm right now isnít good science.  But to automatically say man is the cause is equally bad science.  Nevertheless, we have to at least consider that possibility. 

I know this issue is very politically charged, and that is a shame.  Both sides should care enough to know the truth.  I think one side blindly accepts it to promote a political agenda, while the other side puts their head in the sand in denial because, God forbid, we do anything to slow down our economy.  We call ourselves consumers, and that is what we doóconsume.  Yet, what happened to being good stewards of the earth?  My issue hasnít really been climate change, but the fact we donít seem to consider the needs of future generations, but only our own in the here and now.   They will also need resources and energy to live, so there are more reasons to conserve other than just climate change. 

Thatís my two cents.  Iím certainly not a scientist, and donít claim to know much, especially about this issue.  But, politics aside, I think we have enough reasons to be good stewards of what God has given us, and to care for it and each otheróincluding those following us in years to come. 

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »
My take on it is thisÖ

Climate change happens.  It has always happened long before man was around to do anything to alter it.  Now, can we help it along?  Perhaps.  We certainly have the power to pollute and modify our natural environment.  We can trash our rivers, streams, and our oceans.   Before we learned good soil conservation practices, we nearly turned the Plains into a desert.  China is now combating desertification in their own country due to the same poor farming practices.  We now know we can even cause earthquakes in areas where earthquakes have rarely happened in the past by using hydraulic fracturing to remove oil reserves from the ground.   Man has the power to change the environment for the good or badóthatís a given, so thereís no reason to believe that we CANíT change the climate with poor choices.  Having said all that, I honestly canít say there is any proof that we are warming the earth.  The earth is warmer, that is fact.  The Arctic is in record warm territory this year, and sea ice there is also at an historic low in the CURRENT era.  http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/   We just came off of one of the warmest years on record.   To deny the earth is warm right now isnít good science.  But to automatically say man is the cause is equally bad science.  Nevertheless, we have to at least consider that possibility. 

I know this issue is very politically charged, and that is a shame.  Both sides should care enough to know the truth.  I think one side blindly accepts it to promote a political agenda, while the other side puts their head in the sand in denial because, God forbid, we do anything to slow down our economy.  We call ourselves consumers, and that is what we doóconsume.  Yet, what happened to being good stewards of the earth?  My issue hasnít really been climate change, but the fact we donít seem to consider the needs of future generations, but only our own in the here and now.   They will also need resources and energy to live, so there are more reasons to conserve other than just climate change. 

Thatís my two cents.  Iím certainly not a scientist, and donít claim to know much, especially about this issue.  But, politics aside, I think we have enough reasons to be good stewards of what God has given us, and to care for it and each otheróincluding those following us in years to come.
outstanding post jay... climate change has ben ting going for long time... to be honest... I really think when humans started going to the moon which was a big thing in the 60s... just damaged our climate... its just really now beginning to really show... more space activity we do, the worse its going to get also...

Offline Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
I really think when humans started going to the moon which was a big thing in the 60s... just damaged our climate... its just really now beginning to really show... more space activity we do, the worse its going to get also...

I sorta feel like I've tuned in to a late-night radio talk show.  :o

Offline Brad

• Sunny
    • My Flickr Photos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »
... to be honest... I really think when humans started going to the moon which was a big thing in the 60s... just damaged our climate... its just really now beginning to really show... more space activity we do, the worse its going to get also...

I'm genuinely curious what you mean by this.

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »
I'm genuinely curious what you mean by this.
actually pretty simple ... each launch... releases toxic gases into the atmosphere... just eroding the ozone layer ... let me dig back into this then I paste article for all us to enjoy n read....

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »
I sorta feel like I've tuned in to a late-night radio talk show.  :o

It's the shadow people... they put out chemtrails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »
I think our earths able to handle bad gas's and air ect however its only able to "disperse" (i guess is the right term idk) so much at a time. So if you notice there is a lot more cars, factorys ect ect vs 100 years ago. I honestly think if we stopped all pollution (its not ever going to happen but just if) then within a short amount of time the air would be clean and the climate would work itself out and whatever else was modified by it. Its just the fact that we aint stopping (and imo shouldn't honestly) is why it keeps hanging around. And the more factorys cars ect that we build and make the more it will seem to be getting worse but again I dont think its nothing to worry about maybe in a few thousand years at this trend. I think pollution is a bigger problem we should worry about (the kind you can see on the ground not in the air).  I mean is there really any proof what we done 50 years ago is still in the air or is it all of what we done last year what we breath ect.
867-5309

* Recent Posts

Fall 2017
by Dyersburg Weather
[Yesterday at 08:30:07 PM]
Winter 2017-18
by bugalou
[Yesterday at 03:48:37 PM]
Hurricane Maria
by Thundersnow
[Yesterday at 09:55:11 AM]
BEMIS, TN --Historical Weather Facts, Climate Data, and Rainfall